Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

24 minutes ago, bannork said:

Finally the dribble and drizzle of the last two months has called it a day, changing into a monsoon pounding of heavy rain with the musical accompaniment of thunder and lightning.

Same your way, Owl?

I hope so ????

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Finally the dribble and drizzle of the last two months has called it a day, changing into a monsoon pounding of heavy rain with the musical accompaniment of thunder and lightning.

Same your way, Owl?

Not just yet. But it's very dark.

Just looked at the time; nearly midnight.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Not just yet. But it's very dark.

Just looked at the time; nearly midnight.

Best of luck with the rain, Owl.

I've got my fingers crossed for you (tho'-to be frank-that doesn't seemed to have worked very well so far...)

9 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Best of luck with the rain, Owl.

I've got my fingers crossed for you (tho'-to be frank-that doesn't seemed to have worked very well so far...)

I went to bed late last night. Resulting in me getting up at 9-45 this morning. Not a good thing. Just so much stress at the moment. What with the DinL nonsense and all. Then Mrs Owl put my rat in the wash and didn't tell me. Looked everywhere for it. If we had some decent rain that would help though.

Bannork is not that far from me and his area has had a bit.

Thanx for crossing yer fingers Ody. I've got everything crossed here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Yes, golf is on most of the year It's the 3M Open which starts today.

First tip, never ever bet on the golf if they're just paying first 5. Has to be a minimum of first 8. They're just TTP at first 5.

Tell me about it then. Right at the mo' I need a few baht extra.

I know nothing about golf except that guy who kept his pet snake in his golf bag and that Tiger Woods gets all the ladies. But I did get 7 holes in one at the Dagenham crazy golf in Central Park one year. And I can recall it, because that year 'Chunky' (our chicken) was runner up in the pet section, and we got a little plaque.

So PM me please fellow owl. Sorry about The Owls.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

What with the DinL nonsense

I am not particularly au fait with what's going on with the DinL-has it got something to do with borrowing money for a business and then it going belly up?

As you know I have been caught out recently...borrowed money..business..asset stripped..profits creamed off-all without a single discussion with me.

I had kinda hoped that the Thai had got beyond that sort of nonsense but one is never too old to learn...

Presumably your "rat" survived its mistreatment..????

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I am not particularly au fait with what's going on with the DinL-has it got something to do with borrowing money for a business and then it going belly up?

As you know I have been caught out recently...borrowed money..business..asset stripped..profits creamed off-all without a single discussion with me.

I had kinda hoped that the Thai had got beyond that sort of nonsense but one is never too old to learn...

Presumably your "rat" survived its mistreatment..????

Earlier in the year the DinL and hubby moved into a house on the 2022 road to Ban Dung. I put the details on an Owl Log. I loaned them 100k baht for the deposit. The balance - another 500k - to be paid in March (??) 2022.

Well the whole thing went belly-up and they were officially divorced the Friday before last.

To rub salt into the proverbial, I found out, just a few days ago, that the Mrs had put her gold into the shop for 30k and given that over also. That's not good, but then I find out that the interest on the pawned gold - 600 baht per month - has not been paid. Gold might be lost. Will check when I next go to town.

TBH it's a real mess.

Found Rat pegged up by one ear outside yesterday.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

TBH it's a real mess.

Owl..sometimes I am not very physically well and overlook the minutiae of the logs..sometimes I sleep 14 hours a day-but then stay up half the night-which is often when you will see me posting.I joke to my doctor.."My leg get's amputated every night and grows back again every day.."

I do the best I can.

Pray forgive me-I thought that "rat" might be a humourous euphemism for "hat" and your wife had taken her revenge..

Yes,it seems like a bit of a mess.I went thru a similar thing recently.The shock was quite profound.

7 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Pray forgive me-I thought that "rat" might be a humourous euphemism for "hat" and your wife had taken her revenge..

No Ody. 'Rat' has profound meaning.

I'm relaxing at the mo'; listening to Rosa Ponselle and Maria Callas.

I'll put a pic or two up, with a full explanation, later.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by owl sees all
remove an 'a'

7 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Stunning pic.

2119700895_swampy2015.png.92e33069693965297e45569ab552a973.png

Thanks Rhodie. Taken in November 2015 at Swampy. I didn't take it. I took this one though.

SN850681.thumb.JPG.98202a36c1bdb0d12d04b81f6263cbf0.JPG

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

Nice photos Owl. Well, the temperature is pleasant but these clouds just won't deliver rain. It's plain my offering of a Leo bottle to the Rain God was dismissed with contempt. I'll have to replace it with a bottle of Blend 285, that should do the trick.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bannork said:

Nice photos Owl. Well, the temperature is pleasant but these clouds just won't deliver rain. It's plain my offering of a Leo bottle to the Rain God was dismissed with contempt. I'll have to replace it with a bottle of Blend 285, that should do the trick.

You are about 20km north-east of me. Everyone knows that your area gets more rain. But, please do your stuff, and I'll hope that some drifts our way.

We need the same as last year. A very wet August. Not sure haw the ressies are. Don't get out and about like pre C-19 to see.

If there is no 'big rain' then the dry season could be serious with the water.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 11:39 AM, canthai55 said:

Chiang Mai the same. Had one good wet day this rainy season. Except for some brief showers - nada.

Hoping to get some WET soon

We think of Chiang Mai as being wet.

So the 'rainy season' has not yet kicked in? Interesting.

Will it be serious if it does not teem down? Rezzies etc.

The water table here is low. I'd say 1-5 to 2 metres down. But, that depends upon the Mekong river being high somewhat. Whenever I've been to the river, this last 9 months it has always been low. But that is not necessarily because of lack of rain further upstream. Dams everywhere. Laos talking about building another three. China has a few. When they are all completed the river should return to normal levels, but while the water is being held back while the rezzies are filling, the river will be low.

Getting serious.

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Couple of pics from  week or so ago from the B-I-L's rice farm up in Sakon Nakhon province, not so far from Owl's 'ranch'.

The fishpond shown gets flooded if/when the nearby river overflows, which restocks the pond.

The bitch with puppies hangsout at his night camp (is there a name for those overnight wooden shacks).

They are very lucky that they always have water from the river/weir which runs past the village.

1626754428360.jpg

1626754428884.jpg

1626754427724.jpg

1626754427821.jpg

1626754427854.jpg

Great pics BB. Bet you are well pleased with the water situation; and Grealish. Was gonna have a tickle on the Irons, but after the Grealish transfer went through, now I'm tempted by City (sorry TBL).

I'll not say we are desperate here, but there is only six weeks left to fill the ponds. After that it will be sacrificing four to save three. Hope it don't get to that; but who knows? We need just one really big rain. Not had one yet this year but,,,,,ya never know?. That will flood the lower parts of farm one and overflow into the ponds.

Edited by owl sees all

31 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Great pics BB. Bet you are well pleased with the water situation; and Grealish. Was gonna have a tickle on the Irons, but after the Grealish transfer went through, now I'm tempted by City (sorry TBL).

I'll not say we are desperate here, but there is only six weeks left to fill the ponds. After that it will be sacrificing four to save three. Hope it don't get to that; but who knows? We need just one really big rain. Not had one yet this year but,,,,,ya never know?. That will flood the lower parts of farm one and overflow into the ponds.

Sadly it's the same every year in Thailand, it's either flood or draught.

Hope you get some rain. Don't think it's rained much anywhere this year. When it rains heavy, we get a quick flood in our street (it drains away in a few hours) but that hasn't happened once this year which is indicative of the rainfall this year.

• Like 1

UPDATE

The wife was telling just now that as the dog doesn't have enough milk for its puppies, the B-I-L is going to buy milk or food for them. When I asked why are they buying for a stray dog and it's puppies - as that doesn't sound like thai's to me - I was told that they want the dogs to stick around as security, as people sometimes come in the night to steal fish from the pond. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

UPDATE

The wife was telling just now that as the dog doesn't have enough milk for its puppies, the B-I-L is going to buy milk or food for them. When I asked why are they buying for a stray dog and it's puppies - as that doesn't sound like thai's to me - I was told that they want the dogs to stick around as security, as people sometimes come in the night to steal fish from the pond. 

Not stay now.

Those puppies look cute.