Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

My gf offers me 20 baht to “ get out the hair white “ with a pair of tweezers.

A couple of “ accidental “ black hairs and that was the end of that chore ????

Sort of a lapse in concentration there AD. I'm the same in the kitchen. Can never get the hang of that washing up malarkey. Best to leave some things to people who are naturally good at it.

Used to go with a girl from your parts AD. If I knelt on her bed, I could see Leeds Utd Elland Road ground.

Walked around number four farm this afternoon. Completely finished. Picked up some rubbish and pulled up a few fast-growing weeks. Measured the biggest tree.

1900601694_measurebigtree.png.c5abc3d02ce3cbd1d55be8a410d764a9.png

Not a bad specimen at nearly 28cm. 14 months in the ground.

543711939_lasttrees.png.088b04dbcf843b3ce8956b1d1b47044d.png

And this beauty. Although not last year's grower. I'm a bit baffled by it. Near to next door's sugar farm.

Only one thing left to say; thanks.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

Well, I got some early rain on Tuesday night, 45mm to midnight and 17mm after !

Its been 3-4 months since our last rain and the garden loved it, if I see any more I’ll send it Ban Dung way ????????

That would be great HP.

I want the water for the ponds. The trees and plants will do OK as it is; just a glorified dry season.

I've noticed the trends on rain for some years now. Once upon a time they could be almost guaranteed. The last five years - in my area at least - has seen a slow change. Culminating in this year, which so far must be the driest 'wet season' on record.

It's not just us. There was a post form a member up Chaing Rai way. Dry up there too. Don't know about Central Thailand. BKK; I just don't know or care. Same with Patts.

• Like 1

I won't say anything what we had last night then ???? Sorry I didn't realise it got your back up, we do need it though because last year it was possible to walk from one side of the lake to the other without getting your feet wet, now with no tourists and hotels closed the PWA has a chance to fill the reservoirs again.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 5:53 AM, BritManToo said:

Most women don't seem to do that well after the divorce (unless they get a wealthier man).

Only because they spend too much time trying to fleece one partner.

The black widow ( i have aptly named in our village,very good looking young 30ish)

Owns condo in Pattaya from one relationship. Got new  Australian husband (35) to build new house 2.2m in village ( never lived in) and new Ford Ranger.. Within 6 months divorced and had new partner in Pattaya within a matter of weeks/month

She rents the condo out so don't know where she lives when in Pattaya. When in Surin she lives in the city never in the house in the village. Probably one of the reasons the Australian filed for divorcee. She still continued to live in the city even though she had the brand new house in the village while he was probably financing her rent in the city.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I won't say anything what we had last night then ???? Sorry I didn't realise it got your back up, we do need it though because last year it was possible to walk from one side of the lake to the other without getting your feet wet, now with no tourists and hotels closed the PWA has a chance to fill the reservoirs again.

Last night!? Can't even think about it without crying. It promised so much. Delivered so little.

When I say I don't care about BKK it's not that I want the place to slide into the sea or something like that. Although that does seem inevitable. But a knew a girl in,,,,,. No! It's so far removed from us up here. China is nearer to us than Patts. I've just checked it and China is only 113 km from Thailand. But that's not important. The rain at this time of year should come from the east, originating in the sea somewhere off Vietnam, across Laos and drenching Isaan. I am upset; big time. Sorry Central Thailand; didn't mean to diss you.

There is still time for some rain. Next month; September. Oh yes! I can feel it in me water.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Only because they spend too much time trying to fleece one partner.

The black widow ( i have aptly named in our village,very good looking young 30ish)

Owns condo in Pattaya from one relationship. Got new  Australian husband (35) to build new house 2.2m in village ( never lived in) and new Ford Ranger.. Within 6 months divorced and had new partner in Pattaya within a matter of weeks/month

She rents the condo out so don't know where she lives when in Pattaya. When in Surin she lives in the city never in the house in the village. Probably one of the reasons the Australian filed for divorcee. She still continued to live in the city even though she had the brand new house in the village while he was probably financing her rent in the city.

That does seem to be somewhat common in Thailand. Two of my friends died mysteriously up here. Big money involve both times. But these ladies are often the cause of their own downfalls. Gambling seems to be the number one in this respect. Or they themselves get fleeced by a Thai gent.

I worked in Nigeria many moons ago. Heard some stories about the lovely ladies there, but they were more into shafting their family and friends.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Last night!? Can't even think about it without crying. It promised so much. Delivered so little.

When I say I don't care about BKK it's not that I want the place to slide into the sea or something like that. Although that does seem inevitable. But a knew a girl in,,,,,. No! It's so far removed from us up here. China is nearer to us than Patts. I've just checked it and China is only 113 km from Thailand. But that's not important. The rain at this time of year should come from the east, originating in the sea somewhere off Vietnam, across Laos and drenching Isaan. I am upset; big time. Sorry Central Thailand; didn't mean to diss you.

There is still time for some rain. Next month; September. Oh yes! I can feel it in me water.

Rain forecast for all of Thailand for the next 24 hours so there is some hope for you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Swan, Layne and you can add Tony Kay to make up the trio, didn't belong to our finest hour Owl, brought shame on the club. Peter Swan died in January aged 84.

We're doing well at the moment, top of the league last time I looked,,,,,.

Just refreshed my memory on the betting scandal.

Also found a replica of Peter Swan's shorts, available from their club store.

th.jpeg.23d76f5bd542aa492b8bcda49d319c47.jpeg

Those were the days. Wednesday ended Spurs undefeated run at the start of their double winning season. And the Owls were also unbeaten that year for the first 12 games.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Rain forecast for all of Thailand for the next 24 hours so there is some hope for you.

Just had a shower. Looked good for a while, but now it's brightened up and the sun is out.

Spoke to Mildred. She thinks number one, three and four ponds have to go; to save two, five and six. I agree with that. Ponds seven and eight will have to look after themselves. Have to get the big 3 incher working again. Not started it for about 15 months.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

Thank gawd for that, it would seem that the TMD has forecast heavy rains across the whole kingdom until the end of the month, obviously that's not long enough and I sincerely hope you and your fellow farmers get more than your fair share in the next few weeks ????????

• Like 1

Went out for a walk this afts with the wife. We got into a debate about a tree, which was testament to the influence this thread has on you. I wouldn't have even entered into a conversation about a tree previously as I don't know anything about them. As we walked past this particular tree, the missus pipes up that it's a eucalyptus tree. I respond with, "no it isn't, it's a silver birch". I shouldn't have really because I don't have a clue what it is.

A1E43D94-68A6-46B3-9847-83A189EB166B.heic 

She tells me this tree is very popular in Thailand and the government encourages people to plant them for furniture and building materials. I tell her "It's a Silver Birch <deleted>."3D00B9FB-0DCF-40F1-AC1F-A13908AB6581.heic

As we was returning home I thought I'd get a couple of pics as I'm sure we're probably both wrong about the type of tree but I know how I can find out.

A4C43D81-981E-4C9B-AAD4-1E1B73D24BF7.heic

I thought I'd get a close up pic when I noticed it has what looks to be an identification disc stapled to the trunk.

AF96FAF8-7A35-4DB5-9867-070AEF67976E.heic

So, it's over to the experts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I can't open any of your images.

Silver birch ...

image.jpeg.67076cd51f7a75b5b43d17a7aa8e805f.jpeg

Eucalyptus ...

Eucaliptus | Natura Local

To be fair, I think there are some similarities.

Yes, sorry about that, I tried to upload straight from my photos and it didn't work so I took a few screenshots and that did, it's a dark art this internet stuff isn't it.

• Like 2