Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You make the classic farang mistake of thinking that pavements are for people to walk on

In Europe, North, Central and South America, Australia and New Zealand, China (yes in China) and other countries .. a sidewalk is part of the road used for traffic pedestrian, separate from the roadway and from all parking spaces.

Obviously some rare countries (Thailand, Vietnam ...) think that a sidewalk is made to install tables and chairs or stuff for traveling food.
So the pedestrian does not exist, is that how I understand it?

If all the pedestrians in Thailand start walking in the street, I know quite a few who, behind the wheel of their very expensive or not automobile, will not be happy.

A sidewalk is a place where you trot, or walk and where we don't  ride neither with your bike nor with your motorcycle and or do not park your stinking automobile.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

In Europe, North, Central and South America, Australia and New Zealand, China (yes in China) and other countries .. a sidewalk is part of the road used for traffic pedestrian, separate from the roadway and from all parking spaces.

Obviously some rare countries (Thailand, Vietnam ...) think that a sidewalk is made to install tables and chairs or stuff for traveling food.
So the pedestrian does not exist, is that how I understand it?

If all the pedestrians in Thailand start walking in the street, I know quite a few who, behind the wheel of their very expensive or not automobile, will not be happy.

A sidewalk is a place where you trot, or walk and where we don't  ride neither with your bike nor with your motorcycle and or do not park your stinking automobile.

I think thaibeachlovers was speaking tongue in cheek.

3 minutes ago, bannork said:

I think thaibeachlovers was speaking tongue in cheek.

Many here know that I am not a native Englishman;
so I had to go finding  the meaning of this expression.

It is possible that he wrote like that but without any smiley to make me understand it.
Smilies are very important on a forum; it gives an indication of what the member wants to write or respond to. :jap:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sterling said:

Until Owl gets his PC sorted out, can you share some about your bike riding? Are you using a bicycle or motorbike? If its a bicycle, did you buy it there in Thailand or bring it in from your home country? Thanks

Hi Sterling ,

Nearly all my "bike" riding are made on a Wheeler MTBike ( a bicycle ) ;

I bought it in Pattaya in 2010 or 2011;

before that date it was also on a bicycle but it was a road bike made in France by mister Daniel Salmon 

https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/cotes-d-armor/roi-du-velo-daniel-salmon-est-decede-4778051

Road bike with which I did some nices cycling touring event such as la " Francilienne ",  la" Louison Bobet " , la " Bernard Hinault " and " Bordeaux- Paris ";

Bordeaux Paris ; the finish isn't in Paris but in Fontenay sous Bois near Paris ; 628 km in 26 h and 3 minutes 

my late Salmon road bike; shot not far from Nan ; I was coming back from Bo Kluea ( the village of salt )

489623231_DSCN2400_Nan_province_1225(Copy).thumb.JPG.ca4611ed3a035d5fe4b8e32b403dd385.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 7:06 AM, Assurancetourix said:

We should ask the Thai people who are registered on this forum what are the reasons which push the Thai people to abandon sometimes expensive houses and vehicles without going back.

Ghosts!Thais don't like second hand buildings because of ghosts I came across this looking at properties and my wife told me ghosts!We may laugh but there you go,that and as you said they often ask ridiculous prices. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

So you are not living far from my village ;

I went many times to Wat Kham Chanod ...

The first time I went there, they were building the long snake and the big Bouddha ( april 2006 )

935435042_DSCN4469_Udon_Thani_Wat_Kham_Chanot(Copy).thumb.jpg.cff7a81072c053a5242d7bfb5ea1e5d0.jpg

291016292_DSCN4471_Udon_Thani_Wat_Kham_Chanot(Copy).thumb.jpg.e99c22f6ceebd363357805c5a27527e2.jpg

2058767577_DSCN4495_Udon_Thani_Wat_Kham_Chanot(Copy).thumb.jpg.ca30996f23f356170726e134e338186b.jpg

That's the first time I have seen any pics of the older kham Chanod. Thanks for that.

There have been a couple of films about the place. It seems that it has a very dark side; 300, mostly women and children, slaughtered a while back. Ghosts of Kham Chanod.

The pritiest girl I've ever seen in Thailand was in Sawang Dan Ding. She came over to me and whispered in my ear; we have a fresh dog delivery. Would you like a stew take-a-way?

Another thing springs to mind; the Tesco on the main drag had a small restaurant. At each table there were nibbles. A little dish of spring onions and another of garlic. Just can't get enough of those before a hot bowl of dog soup.

Been a bit under the weather recently. Kept getting heartburn after any food. I upped my intake of reishi wine considerably and I'm pleased to reports I'm well on the mend.

Off to farm soon. We bought some big concrete rings yesterday for Mrs Owl's lime trees. I can feel a retun of the heartburn.

Bye y'all.

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

We bought some big concrete rings yesterday for Mrs Owl's lime trees. I can feel a retun of the heartburn.

Sorry about the heartburn but what it the function of the concrete rings?We had them in our lemon orchard before all the trees died.Not sure why they died but it might have been old age as they were petty long in the tooth but I found the rings to be a bit of a nuisance.

• Like 1