Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The wall fan went kaput and I bought another. Before I dumped it, I plugged the old one in and the blades tried to move. Put it down and thought I'd have a better look later on. Forgot all about it and we had a welcome shower. Got drenched. Just scrap now.

When the blades try to move like that it's often just a capacitor failure. Easy and cheap to fix.

(sorry if I'm trying to teach my Granny how to suck eggs)

• Like 1

Ultimately it's always the blades that fail.

We have a few large trees on a local green so I'll be having a closer look for the tags. I'd never noticed the tag on the Euca/Silver Birch until the missus had called it a Euca and I had a closer look.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Tree still standing.

817730660_visitors02.png.ed5722c02e807a12f28a46ca1b9925d6.png

The search facility on aseannow is a complete waste of time. I tried searching this topic for the phrases "standing", "still standing", and "tree still standing", but no results.

I know you have posted a few photos of the tree over the years, Owl, and I was interested to see its progress. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

The search facility on aseannow is a complete waste of time. I tried searching this topic for the phrases "standing", "still standing", and "tree still standing", but no results.

I know you have posted a few photos of the tree over the years, Owl, and I was interested to see its progress. 

After any decent wind I fear the worst.

The way to sort is out would be to lop off the top branches. But I'm - in a sadistic sort of way - looking forward to the big day; whenever that might be. Been watching the angle of lean change for a few year now. How'd it go; I lean, I lean, I lean for Illean. Of course that's an abomination of that great line; I scream, I scream, I scream for ice-cream.

Rotten International week end coming up. Just as we are getting into it, it stops. Don't bother the Owls though, unless they have International players in their team.

The sale of a parcel of land fell through yesterday. Just no money about. Banks very reluctant to lend on anything other than first-class security. Desperate times up here. But we did do a deal on some land in the village. Guy is gonna run a 20 baht shop on the land. See haw that pans out.

Mrs owl cleared out the rice store Friday. Got 8 sacks of rice. Sold it n Ban Dung; 1910 baht. Just 8 baht a kilo.

Still no rain.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bannork said:

Belting it down now Owl, and has been for a while. Any luck your way?

Rained hard for half an hour. Good for the trees and plants.

Need a prolonged spell to run down the slope and fill the ponds.

But welcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Thanks Andy.

I like fishing. Trying to outwith the fish. Thinking like a fish. Hoping that I've presented the bait so well that the fish can't refuse it. Watching the float or dolly all day. Hooking the fish. Playing the fish. Netting the fish. Carefully taking it out the net and weighing it. Photographing the beastie. Lovingly watching it slide back into the depths.

Re-bait, cast out, and relax in the bivvie, waiting for the next giant to be tempted. Think about the world events. Think about the weather. But then a kingfisher lands on the rod, and you think of the wife back home in the kitchen. A wry smile.

Time for a snooze.

I miss fishing. Will definitely get back into it when I retire to your neck of the woods.  For me it will probably mostly be in the Lam Pao Dam. Only 16 months away. But the first few months will be overseeing the building of our new home - not supervising as I know very little about construction, but would know when they are cutting corners or not being careful.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I miss fishing. Will definitely get back into it when I retire to your neck of the woods.  For me it will probably mostly be in the Lam Pao Dam. Only 16 months away. But the first few months will be overseeing the building of our new home - not supervising as I know very little about construction, but would know when they are cutting corners or not being careful.   

The ressie is huge. Thousand of little hide-a-ways. but can't always get a pick-up close.

P03012631_1.jpeg.6d7cf79f1e9a5d325b7c6dab06e7296d.jpeg

Beautiful area. Try a bit of raw meat for the snake-heads.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

The ressie is huge. Thousand of little hide-a-ways. but can't always get a pick-up close.

P03012631_1.jpeg.6d7cf79f1e9a5d325b7c6dab06e7296d.jpeg

Beautiful area. Try a bit of raw meat for the snake-heads.

A dream of mine is to make a stitch-and-glue kayak and go out fishing on the dam. I don't think that I have the skills to do it though and sourcing good quality marine ply in Thailand can be a pain apparently. We'll see. I may get bored out of my head and give it a try to keep myself occupied. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Went to the farm this afternoon. Pleasantly surprised to see that the water in number one pond had risen about half metre.

Now that the water level in the rice field is very high, another decent downpour will see the pond filled. And a very big downpour will fill ponds one. two and three; as they are linked together.

So there is hope yet.

Thank gawd  for that Owl, here's hoping you get plenty more, time to maybe bore a well as a standby. ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sotonowl said:

Bit like triggers broom

I would imagine so....

They say that Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood would carry acorns about with him and toss them into handy hedgerows as he was concerned at the loss of the oak forests due to over usage.

I think the 'Victory' used 3,600 trees...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sotonowl said:

I've been aboard HMS Victory a couple of times now, once as a tourist and once on the lash at a retirement do for a serviceman. They reckon over time every bit of timber on her has been replaced, so begs the question, is it the same ship.

Bit like triggers broom.????

I used to spend the summers, and a few other holidays, with my mum who lived in Sandown Isle of Wight. She took me on a trip to HMS Victory in Pompey at the naval base there. Still remember it clearly. It was the place where I saw a brass monkey for the first and only time in my life.  The source of the phrase "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I used to spend the summers, and a few other holidays, with my mum who lived in Sandown Isle of Wight. She took me on a trip to HMS Victory in Pompey at the naval base there. Still remember it clearly. It was the place where I saw a brass monkey for the first and only time in my life.  The source of the phrase "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey". 

Not ex Royal Navy, ex Army, a few old Navy mates told me a few years ago what a brass monkey was, very interesting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Not ex Royal Navy, ex Army, a few old Navy mates told me a few years ago what a brass monkey was, very interesting.

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

Yes, quite a few sayings come from the old seafarers. The guide on HMS Nelson describes quite a few although the only one I can remember now is getting caught between the "Devil and the deep blue sea".

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Yes, quite a few sayings come from the old seafarers. The guide on HMS Nelson describes quite a few although the only one I can remember now is getting caught between the "Devil and the deep blue sea".

Do tell, heard the saying but not really thought about it, ????

• Like 1