Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

I have seen Owl's trials and tribulations with avocados so thought I'd share how my wife handled it. She ate the avocado, removed the outer shell (thick skin) from the stone, couldn't be arsed sticking toothpicks in the stone as professionals (Owl) recommend, so threw the stone in the garden. Lo and behold it took off.  

Resize20211015_095308.jpg

Thai methodology, my wife plants everything in a similar fashion.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Good news about or energy-free water contraption. We got it to work for short while this evening.

Have to increase the weight of the water in the outflow below the holder. Also a beefier main holder. The one in use caved in a bit. Pics and an full update next Owl Log.

Tomorrow is another day of learning.

You do realise you're re-writing all we know about physics don't you Owl and that the weight of the water is governed by your 1/2" dip pipe. If you were to lower the larger pipe below the water tank it would then become a simple syphon mechanism, I expect you know this though anyway.????

So, you will be able to move the water with your design, but you'll only be able to move it to a position lower than what it already is.

I don't suppose you have a small compressor at the farm or electric?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

You do realise you're re-writing all we know about physics don't you Owl and that the weight of the water is governed by your 1/2" dip pipe. If you were to lower the larger pipe below the water tank it would then become a simple syphon mechanism, I expect you know this though anyway.????

So, you will be able to move the water with your design, but you'll only be able to move it to a position lower than what it already is.

30 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I too am sceptical, but as Dr Karl says, “Well done for doing the experiment”

Oh ye of so little faith.

I'll have it fully operational by next Owl Log. With a video too.

Just have to work out the pulling power of the vacuum.

Watch this space guys!!!!!!

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

That’s the spirit Owl, good luck and don’t forget the royalty stream if/when you succeed ????????
????

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The weight of the water is measured in pounds per square inch. The maximum pressure you can apply to the dip pipe is the cross sectional area of the dip pipe. The only way to increase the pressure so that the bigger pipe has a higher pressure than the dip pipe is to lower it below the dip pipe, and create a syphon. Just because the water in the bigger pipe weighs more don't mean that the pressure increases, the pressure will remain the same what ever size pipe you use.

Think of it another way. If you had a vertical pipe, 24" in diameter, 7 meters high and filled with water that would create a certain pressure at the base of the pipe, measured in pounds per square inch. Let's say it would be 10 psi. If the 24" pipe had a reducer fitted at the bottom of it to a 1/2" diameter pipe the pressure would remain the same, 10psi.

What about power up at the farm Owl?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

The weight of the water is measured in pounds per square inch. The maximum pressure you can apply to the dip pipe is the cross sectional area of the dip pipe. The only way to increase the pressure so that the bigger pipe has a higher pressure than the dip pipe is to lower it below the dip pipe, and create a syphon. Just because the water in the bigger pipe weighs more don't mean that the pressure increases, the pressure will remain the same what ever size pipe you use.

Think of it another way. If you had a vertical pipe, 24" in diameter, 7 meters high and filled with water that would create a certain pressure at the base of the pipe, measured in pounds per square inch. Let's say it would be 10 psi. If the 24" pipe had a reducer fitted at the bottom of it to a 1/2" diameter pipe the pressure would remain the same, 10psi.

What about power up at the farm Owl?

I did cover all this Bernoulli and pressure-in-pipes stuff at Uni. Fortunately I have forgotten what I once taught.

Remember the Wright Bros? They didn't get it spot on first try. Or the gun. Plenty of problems with that until John Wayne came along.

I did an experiment a few years back, where I capitulated an expensive water tank. Similar sort of thing; but then I relied on science. What I need to do is work out how much pulling power the vacuum has, and I can then work everything out.

Or, forget the physics and maths and just suck it and see. Trial and error!

We did get it going for a while today; honest!!!! Being an Irons - and Orient - supporter I'm the eternal optimist.

No leccy at the farm yet. Perhaps next year.

Edited by owl sees all
added 'No leccy at the farm yet. Perhaps next year.'
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I did cover all this Bernoulli and pressure-in-pipes stuff at Uni. Fortunately I have forgotten what I once taught.

Remember the Wright Bros? They didn't get it spot on first try. Or the gun. Plenty of problems with that until John Wayne came along.

I did an experiment a few years back, where I capitulated an expensive water tank. Similar sort of thing; but then I relied on science. What I need to do is work out how much pulling power the vacuum has, and I can then work everything out.

Or, forget the physics and maths and just suck it and see. Trial and error!

We did get it going for a while today; honest!!!! Being an Irons - and Orient - supporter I'm the eternal optimist.

No leccy at the farm yet. Perhaps next year.

Actually, it just might work thinking about it. Along with most other things, what works or doesn't work in the rest of the world usually does the exact opposite in Thailand.

Have a read of this Owl, a barrel pump may be the way to go. Air driven, you'll may need to buy a compressor but they're cheap enough to pick up. Might even know someone with a diesel driven air compressor do you?

https://www.michael-smith-engineers.co.uk/resources/useful-info/useful-info-barrel-pumps

• Like 1

How is the rain situation up there Owl?

My wife's village is near the Huay Saneng reservoir, near Surin. Last week she was sent some photos of the reservoir overflowing its banks. Apparently there were hundreds of vehicles arriving from miles around to see it, causing traffic chaos.

This is a photo from a local farang website ...

246502841_4723600697674082_4729833480014187994_n.jpg

The road there is one of the places my daughter and I like to go cycling when we are up there.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Hello Owl and Friends

its growing well... soon will put in planting bag... Suggest only planting soil , mix ... Or? 

Put a couple seeds in the flower pot and their starting to sprout... 

Thanks for all y’alls help...

23300E14-CC57-4A17-A0E3-13BD534CD0F3.jpeg

Before putting it in a grow-bag, or pot, check on the plant's roots. A small root will thrive just in water but once it goes into the soil it will probably not fare so well.

If I could suggest some soil. Don't have to be spot on but:40% worm casts, 40% potting mix. 20% washed soft sand. Just mix it all up. Perfect.

Once potted; must drench it with water until it's over half metre high.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

Hasn't stopped there...... The Kitchen/dining room was completely gutted and rebuilt in 2017 and the lounge in 2021 (yet another topsy project, new doors, walls windows and a verandah added). Then i wonder where all my money has gone!

house 2021.jpg

Nice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2021 at 8:17 PM, Sterling said:

I took an HTML course earlier this year as part of a CyberSecurity Degree. I dont remember using that particular function but does this help at all:

https://www.w3schools.com/jsref/event_onmouseover.asp

Thanks for that Sterling.

HTML is not new to me. About 25 odd years ago I was creating web-sites out of a shop in Wembley, London. At that time there was only two real options; write direct in HTML or use Dreamweaver.

I can recall creating four sites in one day. At that time I used 'frames'; big time! I had a very good skeleton and simply filled the specifics in, that the customer wanted. Alas, those days are well gone. Much of the coding I used then is not now supported. Web sites of today are far more intricate and dynamic than in the early days.

Regarding 'onmouseover' and 'onmouseout'. I have incorporated those elements for 'tables', but what I need is to change images when the mouse hovers over.

Modern internet scripting and coding is like 'double-dutch' for me at the moment. Although Mildred gave me 9 out of 10 for what I've done so far.

The other thing that I'm stuck on, is centering a 'for content only'. 'text box'; not for interactivity. To get around this, I'm using a 'table' (with a very light background colour), and simply writing the text in. That is really time consuming, considering I already have the text as I want it elsewhere on the computer. The biggest problem there is eliminating 'white space'.

Have nine pages completed though. So it's not too shabby an effort. When it's fully operational I'll put a link on here.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2