Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

11 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Good to see he is wearing safety boots.

Exactly my instant reaction - now he just needs the safety helmet, i.e., a straw sun hat!

It horrifies me when I ride past a major construction site - well, one of the few down here in Phuket that hasn't been abandoned - and see the labourer's work attire - and half of them female.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Exactly my instant reaction - now he just needs the safety helmet, i.e., a straw sun hat!

It horrifies me when I ride past a major construction site - well, one of the few down here in Phuket that hasn't been abandoned - and see the labourer's work attire - and half of them female.

In this country it's mostly the women that do all the work, figure that one out ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, champers said:

The torn hat is a subtle message of foreboding. Take heed!!

You are bang on the money there Champers. But really it's all a distant memory now days. Just need to get another hat.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 19-01-2022 - Wednesday afternoon

The Irons came a cropper at the week end. Losing at home to Leeds. Had a lovely girlfriend from those parts many moons ago. If I kneeled on her bed I could see Elland Road's main stand. Can't remember how I remember that. Those were the days.

Sounds like you were doing a lot of kneeling on her bed to remember that !!

( nudge nudge wink wink ).

As a part time Leeds fan I enjoyed that match very much, was a great cliffhanger with Leeds getting a fourth disallowed and the Hamsters also on their equaliser.

A timely win for the whites to boost morale I think, a home win against Newcastle and an away win at Villa is what is needed now ….. pause for wishful thinking ……. 

Pleased to see the match being televised on True , did you watch it @owl sees all ??

Still no sign of Leeds shirts on the local market stalls though ????, that’s when you know you have really made it !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'll start looking for an XXXLL Fulham shirt ???? We've been doing really really good in the championship just recently ????????

After a spell where they couldn't string wins together, they are scoring for fun. Can they score six or more against Stoke on Saturday? They will do something special if they can. It's been eighty years since even three sixes have been scored in successful matches.

Now the big question is! Can they break up the big seven next season? A bit premature to speak of winning the EPL, or even top four, but you Cottagers are allowed to dream.

Just as an addendum to the above; Johnny Haynes was one of the finest English players in my lifetime of watching footy. And Tosh (Trevor) Chamberlain also. Had the longest throw-in I've ever seen. Could take a throw-in and get it past the far post.

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Still no sign of Leeds shirts on the local market stalls though ????, that’s when you know you have really made it !!

I'd definitely get a Leeds one, especially if it was in their old colours, or even the stripes they started off with. Well as long as it was only 99 baht.

I've bought a few of the 99 footy baht shirts since I've been here. The two best ones were AC Milan and the Italian national shirt. Both had this sweat-cloth as a lining. Not that I sweat; a bit like the Duke of York in that regard. Also a Spurs and Man City shirt. Don't really care what it says as long as it fits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

After a spell where they couldn't string wins together, they are scoring for fun. Can they score six or more against Stoke on Saturday? They will do something special if they can. It's been eighty years since even three sixes have been scored in successful matches.

Now the big question is! Can they break up the big seven next season? A bit premature to speak of winning the EPL, or even top four, but you Cottagers are allowed to dream.

Just as an addendum to the above; Johnny Haynes was one of the finest English players in my lifetime of watching footy. And Tosh (Trevor) Chamberlain also. Had the longest throw-in I've ever seen. Could take a throw-in and get it past the far post.

I was talking to an old mate about this earlier today, this morning I think, if we can score 6 then we will set a new record that may stand for a few years ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Typical Fulham, do well, go up.

Play in the premier league, do cr*p go down,

Do well in the championship go up, rinse & repeat ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Since last Owl Log another avocado has started growing.

avogrow00.png.c46b693a88dc4c4f58b579a99f28f92e.png

Avacadoes for brekkies, lunch and dinner soon.

If memory serves, Mrs C planted this one (grown from seed) about the same time as your first one, a year or two ago (not these new ones in the photo).

Here is her first effort ...

20211114_104223.thumb.jpg.2dde40b090520dee4c5d3219a97aaed1.jpg

It's about 3 ft tall (just less than 1 metre) but she had to chop off about 12 inches (30 cm) from the top as the leaves turned brown and died. I think it was getting too much direct sunlight.

Google tells me that we have to wait about 6 years to get fruit from an avocado grown from seed. Hope I'm still around to taste the first ones.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

If memory serves, Mrs C planted this one (grown from seed) about the same time as your first one, a year or two ago (not these new ones in the photo).

Here is her first effort ...

20211114_104223.thumb.jpg.2dde40b090520dee4c5d3219a97aaed1.jpg

It's about 3 ft tall (just less than 1 metre) but she had to chop off about 12 inches (30 cm) from the top as the leaves turned brown and died. I think it was getting too much direct sunlight.

Google tells me that we have to wait about 6 years to get fruit from an avocado grown from seed. Hope I'm still around to taste the first ones.

My avocado tree at the farm is doing great. I'll take a pic later this week and post.

From what I've seen of avoes being grown from seed, they can give fruit on their fifth year. My big one is 18 month old and gets watered virtually every day, or at the latest once every three days. I have also had to trim the top. I've been plucking off any discoloured leaves straight away. That seems to work.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

My avocado tree at the farm is doing great. I'll take a pic later this week and post.

From what I've seen of avoes being grown from seed, they can give fruit on their fifth year. My big one is 18 month old and gets watered virtually every day, or at the latest once every three days. I have also had to trim the top. I've been plucking off any discoloured leaves straight away. That seems to work.

I will be sure to post the progress of Mrs C's avocado. I'm pretty sure it was planted around the same time as yours.

The one in the photo is in her garden in Surin. We have planted a few in our garden in Bang Saray, but none have survived. 

On the other hand, we have had some success with lemons (European) in Bang Saray - but they don't thrive in Surin.

You haven't posted any pics of the "leaning tree" lately.

• Like 2

Good luck growing oranges Owl, not easy in Issan soil and climate. 

I've tried durian, mangosteen and orange trees. None survived the heat in April. The daughter's somtam shop in Bandung is doing well so I've planted 90 papaya trees between the bananas as well as 75 chilli plants. I'd love to plant 50 tomato plants too but the local nurseries are all out at present. Maybe resort to growing from seed 

What do you think of these grey skies? Not my cup of tea at all, dismal imo. Too much like blighty in winter though a tad warmer I concede 

Come on sun, do your stuff!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bannork said:

Good luck growing oranges Owl, not easy in Issan soil and climate. 

I've tried durian, mangosteen and orange trees. None survived the heat in April. The daughter's somtam shop in Bandung is doing well so I've planted 90 papaya trees between the bananas as well as 75 chilli plants. I'd love to plant 50 tomato plants too but the local nurseries are all out at present. Maybe resort to growing from seed 

What do you think of these grey skies? Not my cup of tea at all, dismal imo. Too much like blighty in winter though a tad warmer I concede 

Come on sun, do your stuff!

Dull and dry.

There is a dwarf papaya that is being grown in a garden near us. The trees never more than 1-5 metres high, and the yield is very good. We have just got hold of one, and are hoping for a good result.

Where do they grow the little oranges Bannork? I'm sure they originate from Thailand. The are great eaters. Eat half-a-dozen for dinner sometimes.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2