8 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Glad you think so Owl 😀 my maths is carp, Pettits Lane Secondary Modern in Romford & the teacher who wore a gown, mortar board and the nastiest cane in the world made sure of that. 

Pettits Lane eh! Round the back of Rafaels Park*. I was not far away in Dagenham Dock.

Romford people were posh to us. Even now, when I talk, people would know I came from Dagenham. Romfordonians had their own language. Us Dagenites could hardly understand 'em. Not that we wanted to; unless she was dressed in leather garb and liked to rough it. Virtually all our teachers came from the Romford area. They looked down on us, especially the Thames View lot. But we did have the Dagenham Girl Pipers and later Brian Poole; or was he Barking? Bobby Moore was also Barking (43 Waveney Road) and Martin Peters played for Dagenham Bethel. Don't know anyone famous who came from Romford (now in Havering). I do recall that Mark Lazarus settled in Romford.

I can remember cattle being sold at Romford Market. Is that market still going I wonder?

* Do you remember that dare-devil who would do the pole swaying in the park?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been in Isaan for 12 years and I find it fascinating. Virtually every week there is something that I find of interest or something that surprises me, dismays me and sometimes shocks me.  

This story starts 22 years ago.   I first met my future wife, Dee, when she was selling papaya salad (somtam in Thai) on a street stall in Nong Khai. I was forty one and tired of the single

My wife doesn't give them "Jack", and naturally I asked come one day, "honey" why don't you give them something....huh, they have hands and feet and can work, instead of always asking for money on the

Posted Images

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Mildred finding the home-teach maths very difficult. Working on square and cubic measurement this morning. And the main stumbling question! We have a cube 7cm x 7cm x 7cm. What percentage of a litre or Kg is the cube; if filled with water? The answer is 34.3%. Mil couldn't work it out.

Yes, as it's 7x7x7=343cm3

The weight also follows as 343ml, as the definition of a kilogramme is one litre of pure water.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, as it's 7x7x7=343cm3

The weight also follows as 343ml, as the definition of a kilogramme is one litre of pure water.

Bang on the money, as usual, Bluesofa.

Have you a favourite mathematician?

My fav's are Pythagoras and Bernoulli. Just love their simplicity.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

And the main stumbling question! We have a cube 7cm x 7cm x 7cm. What percentage of a litre or Kg is the cube; if filled with water?

Bloomin' heck Owl - centimetres, litres, kilogrammes, and percentages all in one calculation. Maybe your expectations are a tad high.

I'd agree that Owl's expectations are probably too high for a school kid here to cope with. Joking aside though, at least Owl is doing something about it himself by explaining to, and encouraging Mildred to take an interest in this. Kudos to Owl for doing so.

It's no exaggeration that too many locals have no understanding of mental arithmetic, let alone critical thinking.

Our local shop staff need a calculator to work out the cost of three 60 Baht bottles of Leo. I saw a bar cashier use a calculator to work out 1000 - 100.

• Like 1

Mildred finding the home-teach maths very difficult. Working on square and cubic measurement this morning. And the main stumbling question! We have a cube 7cm x 7cm x 7cm. What percentage of a litre or Kg is the cube; if filled with water? The answer is 34.3%.

I thought 1 litre = 10cmx10cmx10cm therefore a 7cm cube would be 70% of 1 litre?

8 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I thought 1 litre = 10cmx10cmx10cm therefore a 7cm cube would be 70% of 1 litre?

Come round FFF, and join in the home-teach programme. Free reishi wine and cookies.

How's your chess?

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

One of my guitars has been out of action due to high humidity affecting previous repairs.DSC02117.thumb.JPG.f824dc17e2a11c8822c01518fc704ce4.JPGDSC02116.thumb.JPG.60e5c6b9d0bc47825c9557ce14c3e491.JPG

Didn't have any clamps with a long enough reach so I made some.

DSC02118.thumb.JPG.5ec404a4972d9daf0d7244f11f8b26f9.JPG

Now a "dry run" although the humidity is still a bit high I'll be ready when it drop a bit further.

DSC02115.thumb.JPG.aa2408bcfd945465a1aaf15027c9cbf4.JPG

Perfect!

Innovation! Like it!

When you come round for the maths, it would be nice if you could help Mildred with her chords. Her guitar is 41 inches. Now I'm thinking that 34 inch would have been better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

A litre is 1000ml. 70% would be 700ml.

To get the volume you multiply 7x7x7, so the numbers keep decreasing every time (from the expected 700 total):
7x7 is 49 (nowhere near 100), then 49x7 is 343(ml) so nowhere near 700.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

A litre is 1000ml. 70% would be 700ml.

To get the volume you multiply 7x7x7, so the numbers keep decreasing every time:
7x7 is 49 (nowhere near 100), then 49x7 is 343(ml) so nowhere near 700.

You are wasted on TVForum Bluesofa.

Gnam Hon Don school for advanced mathematics needs you.

Remember that saying; "help a London child; kill a social worker"? Well I think; "Help a Thai kid; teach him/her basic arithmetic."

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Come round FFF, and join in the home-teach programme. Free reishi wine and cookies.

How's your chess?

My chess?More books have been written about chess than any other subject on the planet,I once read a book about chess and how and how many lives have been ruined by chess.I went through a two year period of playing chess everyday, playing many times each day without asking to play the game once.My brothers and I joined the local chess club for a yearly fee of $2 which included membership of the Central Coast Leagues Club which was the second biggest in the southern hemisphere at the time and had more than 100 full sized snooker tables it also included the yearly chess championships and associated annual presentation night with meals included,the year we attended I received special mention from that years champion for being his hardest opponent after a hard fought draw,I may have won the game had it not been for that game destroying thought "I've got this game won" as I had him but he was a wily player and somehow managed a draw.I've spent many hours smoking bongs and playing chess.We had our own little comp going and the prize was "the cup" a coffee mug with Garfield the cat holding a balloon on a string with "Whoopee" written on it.The holder of the cup wasn't allowed to deny a challenger a game.Once when I held the cup I played 16 hours straight with 2 ten minute toast breaks.That was about 30 years ago and haven't played since then but is still follow the game on one Youtube channel.That's how my chess is.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money, as usual, Bluesofa.

Have you a favourite mathematician?

My fav's are Pythagoras and Bernoulli. Just love their simplicity.

I can't say it ever occurred to me about a favourite mathematician.

I always associate Pythagoras with his eureka moment in the bath. I thought Bernoulli made motorbikes.

(sorry for the flippant answer - you know my sense of humour)

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Innovation! Like it!

When you come round for the maths, it would be nice if you could help Mildred with her chords. Her guitar is 41 inches. Now I'm thinking that 34 inch would have been better.

Mine is a Parlour guitar which is a small bodied guitar.Perhaps you could get Mildred to teach you play the guitar which would require her to learn it first.Or better still learn it together as it might be easier than by ones self or even get a couple of friends to sort of start a band.