Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

What ? When they get relegated ? 55555

I was joking ????

I reckon it will be Norwich for sure. Watford have a new canny manager. Leeds need to keep the faith. Everton need help; can Frank lead the way. Burnley look in big trouble too. Geordies looking much better.

Interesting down there. .

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Know how you feel Owl.

To get our young bloke into the next school because we live out of town it could cost anywhere from 30-60 thousand for a decent school.

Mum wants the best one,i say if he doesn't pass the exam there is no point as he could struggle to comprehend making it more difficult.

Anyway Mum's in charge of that department.

Ah yes! Entry exams.

From what I can glean from the conversations with Mildred in the last couple of years, most boys have no chance of passing any subject, for any school entry. She informs me that there is just one boy in the top ten of her class; and he has an Aussie  farang Dad.

Reminds me of when I was at school. Took home my end-of-year exam results. Dad perused them. "I see you only scored 1 out of a 100  in the RI exam?" "I don't know how I scored anything. I left the paper blank, and just sat there for an hour or so, before the early finishers got to go." At open day Dad spoke to the RI guy - or was it RE then - who also doubled as a Scout and Cub leader in his spare time.. "He only got one in the exam; how come?" "Scored one for putting 'name', 'class' and 'date' at the top. Dad seemed satisfied with this.

Some years later, when I was at University, I heard that the RI teacher, Mr Otag I think his name was, had been sent down for five years for abusing boys. And to think he led the morning singing in assembly.

He wasn't the worst though. There was a History teacher; Mr Walker. He could best be described as a thug. Big fight in one of his classes once. Police involved. I got expelled** along with a couple of others, and Mr Walker was quickly moved on to another school before the  end of term.

** Let back in the following term, if it was agreed that the matter could be forgotten about. The other lads involved in the fight went on to other schools, and it was just me who returned. I was certainly looked up to in later terms, until the fracas gradually drifted into school folk-tales.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Ah yes! Entry exams.

From what I can glean from the conversations with Mildred in the last couple of years, most boys have no chance of passing any subject, for any school entry. She informs me that there is just one boy in the top ten of her class; and he has an Aussie  farang Dad.

Reminds me of when I was at school. Took home my end-of-year exam results. Dad perused them. "I see you only scored 1 out of a 100  in the RI exam?" "I don't know how I scored anything. I left the paper blank, and just sat there for an hour or so, before the early finishers got to go." At open day Dad spoke to the RI guy - or was it RE then - who also doubled as a Scout and Cub leader in his spare time.. "He only got one in the exam; how come?" "Scored one for putting 'name', 'class' and 'date' at the top. Dad seemed satisfied with this.

Some years later, when I was at University, I heard that the RI teacher, Mr Otag I think his name was, had been sent down for five years for abusing boys. And to think he led the morning singing in assembly.

He wasn't the worst though. There was a History teacher; Mr Walker. He could best be described as a thug. Big fight in one of his classes once. Police involved. I got expelled** along with a couple of others, and Mr Walker was quickly moved on to another school before the  end of term.

** Let back in the following term, if it was agreed that the matter could be forgotten about. The other lads involved in the fight went on to other schools, and it was just me who returned. I was certainly looked up to in later terms, until the fracas gradually drifted into school folk-tales.

Ah yes, Religious Indoctrination. Actually when I was at the nearest comprehensive, it was Religious Education and the teacher was actually a nice guy. The nasty teacher was our History guy. Threw board rubbers at people who he was not happy with.  Only ever got in one fight at school and our PE teacher separated us and we walked away. No punishment. My only ever detention was because my Chemistry teacher was peeved at me repeatedly misspelling the word "separate". Sod forgot all about me so I had to traipse around school looking for him so I could get approval to go home. Found him playing table football in the 6th form common room with his teacher mates. Told me he'd forgotten about me and assumed I'd already gone home. Good job there were still buses running or it would have been a 4 mile walk home.   

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 7:22 PM, owl sees all said:

Leeds are hot having much luck. It will soon change.

Another resounding defeat at home to Villa ( 0-3 ) isn’t encouraging Owl !!

Sunday’s tie with Norwich should be a walk in the park  ???? but it will be a sign of what the rest of the season has in store .

Phillips alleged departure to Villa won’t do much for moral at Elland Road !!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Another resounding defeat at home to Villa ( 0-3 ) isn’t encouraging Owl !!

Sunday’s tie with Norwich should be a walk in the park  ???? but it will be a sign of what the rest of the season has in store .

Phillips alleged departure to Villa won’t do much for moral at Elland Road !!

Keep the faith Andy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 13-03-2022 - Sunday morning

Very warm last evening. Temp' read 31C at nine last night. Had two fans on in the bedroom for the first time since August last.

Mildred has informed me that Monday is her last day at her present school. Can't say anything negative about her three year stay there. As Isaan schools go it has been better than average. She has to do entry exams for the new school at the end of the month. She has registered her presence on-line so it all looks good and ready to go.

Outside Mildred's school there is a fantastic Yang Na tree. Just come to flower.

yangtree00.png.492457aa8f153d1b874422f029c5796c.png

yangtree01.png.f5749bd16bbd61dacd6a9bb3797b4b0c.png

Took some pics of Mildred's new school. There is a gigantic build in progress.

millyschool.png.3db110b8ca4cbb0ab40fe00dfd57dd07.png

millyschool000.png.923980c16e1aa7643a225b236f57d188.png

View from the entrance.

millynewschool00.png.ec6b1755c5a843b6bb7b5fe08fc14720.png

newbuildatschool.png.823cb0a2b0ffcaba2dff523689ca25b2.png

Went inside to take a look.

newschool03.png.fb602c6fff4cbd3a86be112f4bf84b5d.png

Talking millions of baht here. Will the newcomer's families be asked to donate I wonder?

newschool05.png.55c98d10ccfbd4097bf0705181cb9bff.png

The building must be 100 metres long.

Passed a stall selling cheap clothes. Thought I'd leave for the school early and have a look. Very small sizes. Couldn't find anything to fit. Thought I'd get Mrs Owl a little pressie. But then a second thought; why waste 20 baht?

20bahtclothes00.png.2274f4b9e9438127706e9da89492d382.png

At last the concrete arrived to sort out the farm road.

farmroad00.png.1d49cb49a810d90a6214ff6fbae4a911.png

Dogs around, leaving their mark.

farmroad01.png.44a9bb9ec8fd995dba54c7c569041ad4.png

The containers opposite us are beginning to explain themselves.

catfish001.png.68ae72156a9953a2e20d02defb3039e2.png

This one has catfish.

catfish01.png.c4700847ffb550173afc30326e31d22c.png

Very small at the mo'.

catfish02.png.b3acd905fcf00dba56beb6f451f3833c.png

Our avocado plantation is starting to attract attention. Seen a couple of villagers looking curiously when they pass. Probably wondering what plants they are.

avacado00.png.90d23631637bf6627040891a2fd4fe8d.png

Twins about early this morning. Still in their jim-jams. Nadia - or is it Nadene - always gives the farang a wave. If they had different hairstyles, I could tell them apart. Ah yes! Shoes are the clue.

twinsabout02.png.b82b44a2b794ac712e52147af0daf721.png

The big mango tree had been cut back to nothing nine months ago.

bigmangoes.png.8d42890a73943a3089b47f273836c7f1.png

The villagers wait for the fruit and veg man to arrive every morning.

buyfood01.png.346e0b01cfb1700767b2186f93cf712e.png

Kids on their way to get crisps and cola before getting off to school.

buyveg00.png.c8b92fec6f814887f80374864ebdd450.png

Mildred's bus.

The ducks are about again. White ones this time. How lovely. Hope they get on OK with the chickens.

villageducks.png.8646b71b7f9d7b713c254be613944da9.png

The twin's grandfather, Yoong, taking their pet pig somewhere.

pigincart00.png.2f162e1f10115dd8a907b79906e228a1.png

Bye piggy. Eat ya later.

pigincart01.png.d2bd9d06c64fb97dd8809b64bc1f32ca.png

Bought Mildred some art paper. Not used the bigger size before. She started drawing the pic yesterday. Painting today.

millyart.png.d2304290f08292447e33745e0b4d642d.png

It was time for my monthly haircut. Mil has been cutting it since she was five . Whatever she does is OK with me. But Mrs Owl sometimes says it looks silly. I don't care. Don't tell an artist how to do things. Saved an absolute fortune too.

haircut00.png.9b9644c2ea0bb6b5d721f80fd17ce62a.png

One of the farms next to ours has started growing chilies.

growchilies00.png.faac19c2b629c0137bc45238e0fbb64d.png

This lady 'Rooney' also does massages.

growchilies01.png.f6b3e11a1fe0b4e76ea4f1fda4a23860.png

While I was over their farm snapping, I found a plough that looked familiar. We lost one very similar about three years ago.

growchilies02.png.1e60f588a050265aaa8834201b9e5b55.png

The first of the annual charcoal huts was underway.

cookwood.png.d87e6bdb25b0bb5c70181009e9bb7e4f.png

There's me at the bottom of the pic.

First nut cut of the year is happening.

nuts.png.797dae648df25ae99beb61e0d324fafc.png

Pumped three hours of water into number six pond yesterday. Need to just keep the water level up so as not to distress the fish. Had the big rain on 22nd October and a couple of showers in Early Feb'. Nothing since. Looks like this year is going with the recent trend.

Mrs Owl says she wants to finish up. Wants to sell the farm, split everything 50/50 and end it. She says she wants to be alone. Her sisters are a strange lot. Don't want to talk to her. But then; they are no good people. Only last month the Mrs wanted to start selling eggs in Ban Dung. And at the end of 2021 it was England, here we come! What next?!

Nan's old house is now history. Didn't want to take up the offer to buy. still paying 4500 baht each month for the pick-up. That was to borrow money for the deposit. Things change so quickly here.

Lucky Liverpool continue the chase of City. Irons, City and Leeds play later. What is gonna happen to Chelski? Can't call them that anymore. I seem to recall that the supporters actually own the pitch at Stamford Bridge. Is the club gonna be nationalised?

Is covid still in Thailand? Or anywhere else for that matter. Pres Putin has been nominated for a Nobel prize in magic. Overnight ended covid in the west.

March does not disappoint with the hot weather. Remember last year it was scorching for virtually the whole month. Think sometimes it is hotter than April.

Mildred measured her favourite euca in the week. 37. 5 cms. That is measured around, one metre up. Many trees look very spindly though.

thineucas.png.f55eb525623e7932453df3709939ad5c.png

Early finish today; before twelve noon. Because, I've been sorting the pics out the day I've took them. Who did I inherit my common sense from?

Only one thing left to say; bye y'all.

Sorry to hear about your marital issues OWL. I hope Mrs OWL comes to her senses and realises what she is giving up. Best of luck mate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Mrs Owl says she wants to finish up. Wants to sell the farm, split everything 50/50 and end it. She says she wants to be alone. Her sisters are a strange lot. Don't want to talk to her. But then; they are no good people. Only last month the Mrs wanted to start selling eggs in Ban Dung. And at the end of 2021 it was England, here we come! What next?! ...

... My achillies heel is my beloved daughter Mildred. I would not consider life without her.

I feel for you Owl. I have a 10 year old daughter and would feel just the same.

Sounds like your missus is having "lady issues" and could benefit from a hormone test and (perhaps) medication.

• Like 1

As others have said Owl, all the best with the marital situation. If it was me, finances permitting of course I'd be out of there with the Daughter and back to blighty. For what it's worth and in my experience it's best not to show any weakness here as if a split is seen as a chink in the armour it'll be used to exploit. 

Just hope she's going through a phase.

PS You and the hat lady haven't been rumbled have you?

PPS You forgot to mention The Owls. (Boast Post)????.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sotonowl said:

As others have said Owl, all the best with the marital situation. If it was me, finances permitting of course I'd be out of there with the Daughter and back to blighty. For what it's worth and in my experience it's best not to show any weakness here as if a split is seen as a chink in the armour it'll be used to exploit. 

Just hope she's going through a phase.

PS You and the hat lady haven't been rumbled have you?

PPS You forgot to mention The Owls. (Boast Post)????.

Hit Cambridge for 6, after that terrible showing at Lincoln.

Well first things first on the marital front. Might be ages - as in years - before the farms can be sold. By then Mrs Owl could easily have moved on to other thoughts.

8 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I feel for you Owl. I have a 10 year old daughter and would feel just the same.

Sounds like your missus is having "lady issues" and could benefit from a hormone test and (perhaps) medication.

Could be CL.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but the picture of the Yang Na tree just reminded me about an article that I recently saw in the newspaper that we cannot quote here. Some minister has issued new rules protecting the many Yang Na trees here on Chiang Mai Lamphun Road. Sounds like extensive protection like no new structures nearby, etc. However, let's see if the rules are enforced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grin said:

Slightly off topic, but the picture of the Yang Na tree just reminded me about an article that I recently saw in the newspaper that we cannot quote here. Some minister has issued new rules protecting the many Yang Na trees here on Chiang Mai Lamphun Road. Sounds like extensive protection like no new structures nearby, etc. However, let's see if the rules are enforced.

Great to get a post from you on this Grin.

@Lacessit

He used to live in the area and posted some tree pics. There was a big feature on the Owl Log; pages 84/85. Well worth a look back for any tree fancier.

1682337335_LamptonRdChiangmai02.png.5a57e6bd78c09998f9433acc9f5f3214.png.7254f50985e6f626a73826e9f4674727.png1807936874_LamptonRdChiangmai03.png.778d546beb528511b3fe46425bfe774e.png.fc52ef48978c634e4b1c8775f3059ed1.png1559748390_LamptonRdChiangmai01.png.d00e65968d7e682842c0c3d91c74e497.png.7a59d28d735cc7008f36daf832c6f6b3.png

They are fantastic; are they not. Also a pic or two of Udon's giant on page 83..

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Here’s one for you Owl , Ban Rai, near Chainat and believed to be 300/400 years old.

3D618E2A-7346-4038-B465-237447372B28.jpeg

Wonder what she is wishing for :

” good health for the love of her life “

” long life for family members “

or

” lottery numbers please “

No prizes for guessing the right answer ????

Great pic Andy.

Maybe lottery numbers. Or wishing that Leeds will keep up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Great pic Andy.

Maybe lottery numbers. Or wishing that Leeds will keep up.

A bit of a nail biter at Elland Road yesterday but I think Frankie Lamp and the Toffees ( not a 60’s pop group ????) will be our saviour!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A bit of a nail biter at Elland Road yesterday but I think Frankie Lamp and the Toffees ( not a 60’s pop group ????) will be our saviour!!

I agree about the Toffees. Burnley are right in the mix too.

Interesting! Getting very hairy down there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Love those lightening storms. My daughter used to be really scared of them until I persuaded her to sit out on the porch with me and enjoy the show.

Mrs C won't join us - can't teach an old dog new tricks.  

I’m currently in Brisbane and Mrs HP has been home alone since late January, I was in big trouble the other night as there was a “Big doomdum” she was hiding in the caravan and not a happy camper at all…

Like you I love the big storms, this time of year is the end of the wet season and the big, violent thunderstorms are called “Knockemdowns” as they blow the Speargrass (sorghum) over and signal the coming dry season.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A government lady came around on Wednesday Morning. She told Mrs Owl that anyone living in the house that was not Thai, could apply for an ID card. Is there something afoot?

It could be one of those pink IDs handed out to foreigners. It seems to vary from district to district as to whether they will issue them. May need to get a yellow house registration first though. Not really anything afoot as Immigration already have your address so it is not as if it is a way of keeping watch on all those sneaky foreigners. 

• Like 1