Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

On 4/10/2022 at 8:51 AM, owl sees all said:

Poom is living at the farm next to us. He comes over to see us every day.

poomfeedfish01.png.bd3fc2259bccf717860d010be818a47f.png

Has young Poom got another similar pair of wellies at home, with the colours being opposite hand? Or should I say opposite foot in this case.????

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 12:55 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Yep, I checked the final score just as I was going to bed, not a happy bunny, not a big footie fan but I do like to see my home team doing well, how many games left this season ? Anyone know ? 

They need one win or three points to get auto promotion. Five matches left.

Only Forest can stop them playing in the EPL next season; but if they lose one more match Fulham are up, no matter what else happens.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

They need one win or three points to get auto promotion. Five matches left.

Only Forest can stop them playing in the EPL next season; but if they lose one more match Fulham are up, no matter what else happens.

I watched the Derby v Fulham game. Fulham just got out performed really. Derby's new owner (Preferred one at this stage) was in attendance and the whole ground was up for it, you could smell it coming. But it only put off the inevitable for a spell, Fulham will be going up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sotonowl said:

I watched the Derby v Fulham game. Fulham just got out performed really. Derby's new owner (Preferred one at this stage) was in attendance and the whole ground was up for it, you could smell it coming. But it only put off the inevitable for a spell, Fulham will be going up.

Yeah I see that in the result, but Fulham are lazy, they think it's in the bag and stop trying, they have done that for so many seasons.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bannork said:

Are you enjoying heavy rain, Owl? 

It's been bucketing down here for a while now 

Had some rain last evening; but nothing much.

I think tonight - Sunday night/Monday early morning - will be wet. So says Jack the cat. He is not often wrong.

10 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Fulham up and Derby down. 21 points too many to make up.

The Owls had a good away win last evening.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Great result there, we needed the points. Great away following as well. 5,500 for a televised game wasn't bad.

Bannans goal, which was our third was a thing of beauty, have a look.

• Like 2

Oh, just seen the Hammers have got it back to 1-1 now, still a few minutes left though and It sounds like they're knocking on the door according to the commentary on the Newcastle v Leicester game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Great result there, we needed the points. Great away following as well. 5,500 for a televised game wasn't bad.

Bannans goal, which was our third was a thing of beauty, have a look.

MK Dons are a decent team. Owls did well.

I'll have  look at all the goals on YT. Can't see it here. Darren Moore liked it a lot.

31 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Oh, just seen the Hammers have got it back to 1-1 now, still a few minutes left though and It sounds like they're knocking on the door according to the commentary on the Newcastle v Leicester game.

Can't see top a 4 in the EPL now. Spurs, United and Gooners will have to battle it out for 4th spot.

Think The Irons are pinning their hopes on winning the Europa League.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sotonowl said:

On a side note, if I'd been born in London I'd have gone for QPR, don't know why, always had a soft spot for them.

Back in the 1970s with Gerry Francis leading them, they were a force in the game..

My top three are: Orient, Irons and - wait for it - Enfield Town..

First game watched live: 2-2 Orient v Sheff Wed.; 1958 I think (I'll check that)..

Went to Upton Park at least 200 times. 

Played for a team from Enfield for a few years, so I like to see them do well.

Watched Spurs in the early very 1960s. But, at the first game in the new season 61/62, I arrived to find that 'orrible floodlight pylons had been erected where I normally stood. So divorce was in order! Back to Orient who got promoted, and were gonna take Div' One apart. But no! Then I  was sweet on a girl who liked Bobby Moore. So to keep in with her, I started watching The Irons.

Who else? I like Leeds cause of that thing about Loraine's bed and in Scotland I look up Cove Rangers. Back in England, I keep track of Dagenham and Redbridge (one club), and also Aveley Town.

A storm last night. Got up at five and sat outside, with Poo the cat, to see the sky being lit up. Went back to bed when it all stopped at 5-30ish. Plenty of rain for a change.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log 24-04-2022 - Sunday afternoon

Nice surprise this morning. Our nut man arrived and dropped 13k Baht into Mrs Owl's hand. The cut weighed in at 3.25 tonne

nutdata.png.a43883a66284b2cb8c11cab958cf4a5b.png

That's

8475 - wagon fully loaded

5250 - wagon empty

3225 - weight of nuts in kiloes

9.55 - nut price per kg

30799 - total sale.

Take off the bits and pieces; just over 26k was left. 50/50; hence 13k. We are talking fertilizer for next month. That has rocketed up in price. So 30 x 50 kg sacks of nitrogen could wipe out the next cut; in three weeks time.

nuts02.png.b80d7ca0203827905acd131bdbe59d01.png

The cutters go around to cut, and place the nut bunch along the row.

nuts01.png.c040b4a2bca8a7c45b3c059ce8912abd.png

Then a pick-up or cart picks them up, and they are transferred to the wagon.

Still not seen a mekong for a while. Mildred's idea of pumping out their pond is playing on my mind. I'll get the 3 incher sorted out.

bigpump00.png.0f882400765f73574267068b9f893e2d.png

It hasn't run for well over a year. Put it on the pick-up. I'll give it a service in the week.

bigpump01.png.4220947392b5468d135706842caeafeb.png

This pump has a delivery of up to 40 m3 an hour.  One good day's pumping should droin the water low enough to expose the fish and get them caught. Bought some big plastic bags in Big C on Friday. Need them to hold the fish in order to transfer them to other ponds without harming them.

Mildred asked me to move one of the smaller lilies to her pond.

moveplant04.png.f1f5277a2ff69bc8e015b992c4e3269a.png

Only small but once those roots take hold they take a bit of shifting.

moveplant07.png.8f14d52be0a6b3408dc8c16997a511ca.png

Then it was in the mud in pond six. It looks like it's a metre deep in that spot, but there is a lot of mud.

moveplant10.png.0ed8afd416e4caa52f318fd21fde17da.png

Planting finished, it was off to get my floating-away flip-flop.

Lost the other one in the mud somewhere. Maybe it will float to the surface in the future.

moveplant09.png.2733bf873072cb36265252b19e58fd84.png

The columns have started on the Buddha pier.

buddahbuild01.png.d64316edb05aab3763bb2d388a5399e0.png

Sneaked in the back way for a pic or two.

buddahbuild00.png.561f01047c9cdc859a7b4ab3fa391d76.png

When I came out, the cross-road gang were waiting for me.

downtowngang.png.5d87e5824a491d3e012cfaddf11fcdd3.png

"Wot ya up to farang?" 

"Hi guys. Just taking a couple of pics in the Buddha. Is that OK?"

"That's fine. but don't touch our dog."

dog01.png.d4693b0c49b4ff4d314b6e29fb0b1dd7.png

"We have put stones in the bottles so we can hear him coming."

dog.png.f5bc2428e1db89d389d4cca078fb6e31.png

Sorted out the shower pipe.

newwaterpipe00.png.04bf04b004b6a5048df09ab5d6df13da.png

It had done a good job for 15 years, but it had to be replaced. Put the valve on the outside.

newwaterpipe.png.8a86708573f864dc8dda673640373862.png

Gonna fill the hole in with mastic in the coming weeks.

The village road-works have virtually finished. Still none the wiser as to the reason for it.

villagowork00.png.e7c70b78578e78dddb44dcb992a05ea5.png

Just covering it over.

villagowork01.png.3c7dce871e7df871b14f7767e94492a7.png

Can't pass a big stone without half-inching it. This one went about 80kgs. It was as much as me and Mildred could do to lift it. Big hammer will soon have it smashed and then it will be perfect for sorting out the dips in the road.

rock.png.afb10f343d705dfedfec3da7131463ab.png

Songran passed without notice in the village.

Well almost!

songran00.png.b4c8c4731d20869aec04f19de7921d53.png

A couple of days before the recent shower I sorted out the old pipes. There were a lot. At least 100 metres all told, in six sections.

piperolledup.png.76b2c043f4c3363c3e03b10bcbe7334e.png

Pond three is smothered in small plant. It's the only one that has this growth.

threepond.png.d77d6cdb77a4e33c9109a4034909b80b.png

The temperature has returned to where it should be for April. Usually the hottest month in these parts. Did rain a bit in the week. If I'd been fishing at Hainault, I'd have put up the brolly; so next level up from drizzle. I've worked out the rain with an English/Thai slant.

Mizzle - not enough for the umpire to take note - soi dogs get off the streets

Drizzle - players off for early lunch - crickets start up their chants

Rain - pitch covers on - brollies up when riding the m/c

Heavy rain - brolly up when fishing - hammock time

Big rain - think about going fishing - moan about leaky roof

Storm - put off the barbee for another day - ear-plugs in and hide away.

Footy round up.

The Owls slump to a poor defeat. Fulham promoted. Leeds and the Irons play today. Orient crushed at home.

Mrs Owl gratefully pocketed the 13k nut money. But fair doos; she did later give me 2k to pay the leccy. This month ours was 1300 and MinL's 500 baht. So not too much in my pocket after paying those bills. But enough for a new pair of flip-flops.

Have got the www.mildredart.com site all sorted. Latest painting:

41minsters.png.ea970f8b0172f78ba298ed3757d149a7.png

Early days yet. but I can say with some confidence; 'roll over Rembrandt, tell Banksy the news.' Mildred is on the move.'

The Mrs had just informed me that there is rain in Trat. "But teerak, China is nearer to us than Trat!" "How you know? You look internet see China lady? You bad farang."  No sense of distance these Thais.

Been watching 'The Isaan Farang' on YT. Very well done and interesting.

Only one thing left to say; bye y'all.

Yes I was very happy that Fulham earnt promotion, however I haven't called them the yoyo's for no reason ????

23 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Monday evening for Leeds , 2 am here , away at Palace, could be a clincher !!

Think it's Burnley or Everton to drop with the two gonners. But you never know?! If Lamps can instill a bit of pride into the once proud Toffeemen, and they win at Anfield, and Burnley pick up a win or two, it could be squeekee bum time for a few clubs.

I think Norwich, Watford and Burnley; to be replaced by .Fulham, Bournemouth and - I've got a feeling in me water that it will be - Luton.

On a side point. United will be playing Liverpool in Thailand in a pre-season game. Don't know where it will be played. Probably not in Udon Thani though.

Edited by owl sees all

9 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Yes I was very happy that Fulham earnt promotion, however I haven't called them the yoyo's for no reason ????

They certainly are the yo-yoes in recent years.

But any club that is good enough to win the championship as easily as Fulham did should have little trouble in staying in the EPL; for at least two seasons. For me, the worry would be an injury to Mitriivic.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Think it's Burnley or Everton to drop with the two gonners. But you never know?! If Lamps can instill a bit of pride into the once proud Toffeemen, and they win at Anfield, and Burnley pick up a win or two, it could be squeekee bum time for a few clubs.

I think Norwich, Watford and Burnley; to be replaced by .Fulham, Bournemouth and - I've got a feeling in me water that it will be - Luton.

On a side point. United will be playing Liverpool in Thailand in a pre-season game. Don't know where it will be played. Probably not in Udon Thani though.

Yup, I think Burnley could go down too, on paper they are favourites to drop but Toffees and Peacocks will be having some sleepless nights for sure !!

Liverpool v Man U in Bangkok July 12th , tickets from 5,000 to 25,000 baht, not shelling out that kinda dosh for them lot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, I think Burnley could go down too, on paper they are favourites to drop but Toffees and Peacocks will be having some sleepless nights for sure !!

Liverpool v Man U in Bangkok July 12th , tickets from 5,000 to 25,000 baht, not shelling out that kinda dosh for them lot.

It's a lotta dosh. Plus I'd have to get there.

Are they the two biggest supported EPL ckubs in Thailand? Reckon they could be. But there ls Chelsea and Leicester.

Out of all the EPL and Champ's clubs, there are only a few that I haven't seen play at their present home. WHU, and Arsenal are two. But I also never went to Hull or Posh or St Marys. Did go to The Dell a couple of times though. Can't remember about Bournemouth also. And Wigan.

Was at Goodison a few years back and went to see them play Burnley on Easter Monday. Back then, clubs played each other twice over Easter. Two days earlier they had beaten The Clarets away 1-2. Result at home 1-3,. but what a crowd; over 73,000.

Edited by owl sees all

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

It's a lotta dosh. Plus I'd have to get there.

Are they the two biggest supported EPL ckubs in Thailand? Reckon they could be. But there ls Chelsea and Leicester.

Out of all the EPL and Champ's clubs, there are only a few that I haven't seen play at their present home. WHU, and Arsenal are two. But I also never went to Hull or Posh or St Marys. Did go to The Dell a couple of times though. Can't remember about Bournemouth also. And Wigan.

Was at Goodison a few years back and went to see them play Burnley on Easter Monday. Back then, clubs played each other twice over Easter. Two days earlier they had beaten The Clarets away 1-2. Result at home 1-3,. but what a crowd; over 73,000.

Seems like Man U and Liverpool are well supported here but as you say Chelsea are too, keep looking for Leeds shirts at the local market but nope !!, early days !.

Hopefully Man U will come out of their slump to make it a decent game but as it’s a friendly it might be more of an exhibition match than competitive.

Many , many years since I went to any games in earnest and 8 years since I last went to one ! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Seems like Man U and Liverpool are well supported here but as you say Chelsea are too, keep looking for Leeds shirts at the local market but nope !!, early days !.

Hopefully Man U will come out of their slump to make it a decent game but as it’s a friendly it might be more of an exhibition match than competitive.

Many , many years since I went to any games in earnest and 8 years since I last went to one ! 

Saw someone wearing a Villa shirt a couple of years ago. See plenty of Barcelona shirts.

I bough a few some years back. AC Milan, Man City, Spurs, Italian national team and  a small (kid's size) Liverpool shirt, (which I gave away shortly afterwards). All just 99 baht apiece. The stall had literally hundreds on sale.

• Like 1

The Owls slump to a poor defeat.

Capitulated Owl although they did have a perfectly good goal ruled out. Crying shame really as a win would have guaranteed a play off place We dropped from 4th to 7th place now, will we make the play offs? Going to be tight, we have Fleetwood away on Tuesday night and finish with Pompey at home for the last game.

• Like 1

I'm not really a soccer supporter although I do watch the odd  Premier League game.

I used to like Leeds many years ago due to some Aussies playing for them.

Anyway, just watched this 2 part series and it was really good.

Thought some of you might enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like you timed the sale of your palm oil nuts really well. Apparently the price dropped considerably today when it was learned that Indonesia was not going to be as strict on banning/limiting exportation of palm oil as originally understood. 

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Looks like you timed the sale of your palm oil nuts really well. Apparently the price dropped considerably today when it was learned that Indonesia was not going to be as strict on banning/limiting exportation of palm oil as originally understood. 

Thanks for that news Garry.

I'll get a call made and report back.

Anything over six baht a kilo is good business. Who knows what the future holds. There are analysts predicting diesel prices doubling in Europe. Reckon there will be a knock on effect over here if that's the case. Most diesel engines can run quite happily on 100% palm oil over here. Not so in cooler countries, where they need an additive or require a pre-warm..

Checked on the price of Nitrogen fertilizer today in Ban Dung: 15-15-15 1300 baht for 50kg. 46-0-0 1600 baht. Unbelievable price hikes. Could get 46-0-0 for under 700 baht a sack just a couple of months ago.

Also fish food has jumped up from 320 baht (20kg) a sack to 370. The other feeds must have also risen; chicken, pigs etc.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2