Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

14 hours ago, Will27 said:

I'm not really a soccer supporter although I do watch the odd  Premier League game.

I used to like Leeds many years ago due to some Aussies playing for them.

Anyway, just watched this 2 part series and it was really good.

Thought some of you might enjoy it.

Watched both parts.

Sad.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Will27 said:

The English press we're bloody disgraceful.

Agree with you there Will.

But millions of people lapped it all up.

Checked on the price of palm oil nuts this afternoon: 9-50 a kilo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Agree with you there Will.

But millions of people lapped it all up.

Checked on the price of palm oil nuts this afternoon: 9-50 a kilo.

So barely any change in price. That is strange because the press said the price had "slumped".  Anyway, not bad for you if you have more nuts to sell.

Edited by GarryP

11 minutes ago, GarryP said:

So barely any change in price. That is strange because the press said the price had "slumped".  Anyway, not bad for you if you have more nuts to sell.

I hope it keeps up there for the rest of the year. Get a cut every 3 weeks.

IMO, unless the fighting and sanctions end soon, the price of virtually everything in Europe will rise. There will be a knock-on effect in SE Asia. So; although I want the war to end, my selfish view is that the nut price will stay high; and could go higher.

• Like 1

Good round up as usual Owl.

Must admit I was cringing when Milly was swinging that sledgehammer, a deflected hit on to the shin could do some damage .

Leeds v Man City , as expected Man City look like a they are in a different league !! ( many a true word spoken in jest ???? ).

Good to see Burnley taking it seriously, bottom of the league battle is as exciting as the two horse race at the top !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Good round up as usual Owl.

Must admit I was cringing when Milly was swinging that sledgehammer, a deflected hit on to the shin could do some damage .

Leeds v Man City , as expected Man City look like a they are in a different league !! ( many a true word spoken in jest ???? ).

Good to see Burnley taking it seriously, bottom of the league battle is as exciting as the two horse race at the top !!

I agree about being in a different league. The EPL is one of the most un-competitive leagues there is. Not as bad as the SPL when the last club outside Glasgow to in was Sir Alex's chargers 36 years ago. But only a handful of clubs have won the EPL since its inception:

United

Liverpool

Chelsea

Man City

Arsenal

Blackburn

Leicester

Just to illustrate the point.; a look down the four football divisions to see what clubs are averaging two points a game. Wigan managed to do that with 92 points from 46 games. And Fulham could get 93 points if they win their last two games. But that's it. The top three are all averaging 2 points or more a game.

That's not to say it's not exciting at the very top; Even with Chelsea falling away badly and turning it into a two horse race. But Andy - and myself also - we have to content ourselves with an also-ran spot. For half the clubs, avoiding the drop is on their minds at season start

Is there a club next season that could do a Leicester? One of the promoted clubs perhaps. Not likely that but that just my opinion.. What about Newcastle, or one of the north London clubs? A chopped up, and put back together United., Not for a while I think.

But if we

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Two interesting games ahead OWL. First leg at our gaff (Stadium of Light) on Friday (6th) and the second at yours next Monday (9th).

Indeed.

I fancied both these to get promoted, but they let Wigan race away early season. Left themselves too much ground to make up. Even the winner has a toughie against MK Dons, who I think will make it through to Wembley.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

@owl sees allWhat are you feeding those avocados? They look terrific.

My sole survivor isn't making much progress., but giving it some shade has improved its colour.

20220415_124443(1).thumb.png.6e0ff3dcee8af65f7a8f35813088f525.png

What is my secret? Dear me. They only get sun up to about 11/11-30. Water them every day. But the soil they are in is about 50/50 worm casts and just ordinary stuff. That could be it.

The one at the farm is 18 months old and is also doing well. I'll get a pic in the week.

Someone told Mildred that potted avoes start giving fruit after 8 years or so. The one at the farm looks good. If I ever get fruit I'll be thrilled. I like to care for them; fruit or not.

• Like 1

Dear me. Just had a close look at the EPL table. Leeds are in a spot of bother.

16 Burnley 34 points - 15  GD

17 Leeds    34 points - 34 GD

18 Everton 33 Points - 20 GD

Terrible goal difference.

The other two are gone I reckon.

Edited by owl sees all

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Dear me. Just had a close look at the EPL table. Leeds are in a spot of bother.

16 Burnley 34 points - 15  GD

17 Leeds    34 points - 34 GD

18 Everton 33 Points - 20 GD

Terrible goal difference.

The other two are gone I reckon.

The bottom of the league is usually as exciting as the top. I hope Everton stay up to be honest but can't decide between Burnley and Leeds who i'd prefer to go down, hmmm, it's a tight one is that.

On 5/1/2022 at 2:32 PM, chickenslegs said:

@owl sees allWhat are you feeding those avocados? They look terrific.

My sole survivor isn't making much progress., but giving it some shade has improved its colour.

20220415_124443(1).thumb.png.6e0ff3dcee8af65f7a8f35813088f525.png

Took this pic of the farm avocado this evening. It's 18 months in the ground and is 1 inch thick at the base.

farmavo00.png.ee4c049fbbc4ea81bcbd6ab466571ae8.png

It was a bit dark so enhanced the image a little.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

Fulham; 7-0 against a decent team (Luton) last evening.

Are they worth a tickle for EPL top 4 next season?

Leeds have a tough run in.  Hope they can find something that they had last year. and has gone missing this season.

13 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Nice.

The race is on. Which of us will be the first to eat our home grown guacamole?

I've had this position before.

Grew an avo' for two years, but it stuttered between years 1 and 2. Mrs Owl dug it up and chucked it out so she could plant a mango tree in its place. I ask ya?  Only last week she told me that the mangoes from that particular tree are not nice.  Sort of warped justice that. I'll get a snap of it today.

I'll take the challenge Mr CL. I've got a secret weapon.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a game tonight! Bournemouth v Forest. Home team need to win to ensure promotion alongside Fulham. A draw, or Forest win, and it goes to the wire this Saturday.

26 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Starting to see a few appear now.

This tree was planted about 5 years ago.

We had a cracker before that which gave heaps of fruit.

It got struck by lightening though.

Optimized-IMG_20220504_092521.jpg

From a seed, or bought as a seedling?

Any tips?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

From a seed, or bought as a seedling?

Any tips?

The wife's the one with the green thumb.

She bought a few small trees that were about 3 feet high.

I know they like a lot of sun.

• Like 2