Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

Bournemouth nailed it and will join Fulham next season.

Six clubs;

Huddersfield

Luton

Forest

Millwall

Boro

Sheff United

all in with a shout of EPL status. But only one of them will taste 'glory'.

Went to Number four' market yesterday. Very interesting.

Bought some birds. Mildred bought fish. Mrs Owl bought some plants.

Kitted myself out with new footwear.

newshoes00.png.11199c198b42a4379095093257929435.png

50 baht a pair. Looks like Mildred approves.

newshoes0.png

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Six clubs;

Huddersfield

Luton

Forest

Millwall

Boro

Sheff United

I had a chat with an old mate this morning neither of us understand the 'Play offs' just a money making scam as far we can see, all the other leagues 3 or 2 up, but the championship have play offs ???

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I had a chat with an old mate this morning neither of us understand the 'Play offs' just a money making scam as far we can see, all the other leagues 3 or 2 up, but the championship have play offs ???

Seems daft to me that the team finishing 3rd has the same chance as the team finishing 6th..

What I'd like to see is the bottom club automatically replaced by the Champ' top dog. The Second place play the second from bottom and the third place play the third from bottom. Could even be the 4th and 4th from bottom.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Six clubs;

Huddersfield

Luton

Forest

Millwall

Boro

Sheff <DELETED>

Sorry Owl, couldn't resist.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

That's not really the case GT, the other leagues have play offs as well but I take your point ref. money grabbing scammers. They play 46 games over 9 months to determine where everyone sits in the league then have play offs to decide who should finish in third spot by having 3rd,4th,5th,6th playing again? Just not fair on 3rd spot.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

That's not really the case GT, the other leagues have play offs as well but I take your point ref. money grabbing scammers. They play 46 games over 9 months to determine where everyone sits in the league then have play offs to decide who should finish in third spot by having 3rd,4th,5th,6th playing again? Just not fair on 3rd spot.

I wasn't aware the other leagues have play offs, I stand corrected, thanks ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I wasn't aware the other leagues have play offs, I stand corrected, thanks ????

Yes, usually the 3 finals for the Championship, League 1 and League 2 are played over the Spring Bank holiday at the end of May, Saturday, Sunday and Monday but for some reason they've changed that this you and the league 1 final is on the 21st, I'll have a look why in a bit.

6 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Yes, usually the 3 finals for the Championship, League 1 and League 2 are played over the Spring Bank holiday at the end of May, Saturday, Sunday and Monday but for some reason they've changed that this you and the league 1 final is on the 21st, I'll have a look why in a bit.

The venue is being used for an international game apparently so the League 1 final has been moved to the week before the bank holiday. Not sure why they had to move it though as that game isn't until Wednesday.

When are the EFL play-off finals?

The dates for each of the EFL play-off finals have been confirmed and will take place across two weeks.

The League One final will be played a week before the League Two and Championship finals as Wembley is unavailable on the Bank Holiday Monday of May 30.

The reason for this is the Uefa-Conmebol Finalissima, which will see European Champions Italy take on Copa America winners Argentina at the national stadium on Wednesday, June 1.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

So you get the market on the 4th, 14th & 24th, my mate in Phimai gets his on the 8th, 18th & 28th, be interesting to see how many on here get their market on a different date.

Not quite GT.

This market is always on the 4th of each month; just the 4th. Then we have the Thursday market, which is on every Thursday. Phibun Rak market is also on a Thursday. That's 1bout 15kn from us. Non Mek is on a Wednesday, and Phen (Pen, Penn) is - or used to be - on a Monday. The same traders go around each one in turn.

The family opposite us - Poom's Mum and Dad - do the market circuit; selling clothes.

There is a smaller market on the 2022, about 5km from us. It was quite big when it started up, but has dwindled down to about 30 stalls now. Also the permanent market at the river. Mostly fruit and fish, although snakes, turtles, rats and other similar delicacies are sometimes on show..

It seems the pick-up for vaccines is dropping upcountry. Nephew, who works for the local health authority in Kham Muang has had 4 shots which is required for his work, but he is not pushing it on others. Mother-in-law called and warned us not to have a booster. Seems she is very worried as her cousin went blind in one eye after having the vaccine, and the doctor in Khon Kaen advised that it was actually quite common. Not sure which vax though. 

Weather has been really strange this year in Bangkok too. Only a handful of really hot days in April and more rain than the usual mango showers. Not complaining though.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

It seems the pick-up for vaccines is dropping upcountry. Nephew, who works for the local health authority in Kham Muang has had 4 shots which is required for his work, but he is not pushing it on others. Mother-in-law called and warned us not to have a booster. Seems she is very worried as her cousin went blind in one eye after having the vaccine, and the doctor in Khon Kaen advised that it was actually quite common. Not sure which vax though. 

Weather has been really strange this year in Bangkok too. Only a handful of really hot days in April and more rain than the usual mango showers. Not complaining though.  

I was always under the impression that the Thais would swallow just about anything that was sent their way by authoritative figures. Perhaps they are more enlightened in recent times.

With the vaxxes, word on the horrific jab injuries has gradually gotten  around. 'Heard it through the grapevine'. Who sang that? It's made the people very hesitant.. Think that because virtually everyone can read it for themselves through their phones, is also a big factor.

We must all brace ourselves for the next big frightener. I think something in the order of Aliens landing on the White House lawn and and taking Pres' Biden and Vice Pres  Kamala hostage. Hillary then takes control to restore the natural order of world events.. With the US in the driving seat naturally.

Buddha help us all!!

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

Don’t forget the drama of the Premier relegation battle Owl.

The Clarets missed an opportunity to pull away yesterday losing to Villa !

Peacocks away to the Gunners and Toffees away to the Foxes could make it a very decisive evening for all 3 in the danger zone !!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Don’t forget the drama of the Premier relegation battle Owl.

The Clarets missed an opportunity to pull away yesterday losing to Villa !

Peacocks away to the Gunners and Toffees away to the Foxes could make it a very decisive evening for all 3 in the danger zone !!

Drama indeed Andy!! Big day for the battle down below.

Now that the title is sorted, all eyes on the bottom of the table.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Drama indeed Andy!! Big day for the battle down below.

Now that the title is sorted, all eyes on the bottom of the table.

That reminds me, I must get back to the ladyboy thread… 

????

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Fulham seemed to be still intoxicated after their celebrations, and got whacked. The Owls lost the first leg of their play-off against Sunderland.

Very disappointed with the Fulham showing yesterday Owl although Boro lost so they were always going to make top 6. But they'd have been playing Huddersfield instead of Florist.

As for the Owls, it's game on tomorrow, all to play for and could go either way. The other tie for the league one play offs will be tonight, MK Dons (0) v (2) Wycombe Wanderers kicks off at 18-30 I think.

Leeds are 2-0 down at Arsenal right now, Everton were 1-0 up at Leicester but have just been pegged back to 1-1. Early doors though as it's just half way through the first half at the moment.

Edit-and Leeds down to 10 men after Ayling gets a red for a dangerous over the top of the ball 2 footed challenge and Rapinha looks like he wants to go off as well, got booked for arguing with the ref and just wouldn't stop, lucky lad.

Edited by sotonowl
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Very disappointed with the Fulham showing yesterday Owl although Boro lost so they were always going to make top 6. But they'd have been playing Huddersfield instead of Florist.

As for the Owls, it's game on tomorrow, all to play for and could go either way. The other tie for the league one play offs will be tonight, MK Dons (0) v (2) Wycombe Wanderers kicks off at 18-30 I think.

Leeds are 2-0 down at Arsenal right now, Everton were 1-0 up at Leicester but have just been pegged back to 1-1. Early doors though as it's just half way through the first half at the moment.

Edit-and Leeds down to 10 men after Ayling gets a red for a dangerous over the top of the ball 2 footed challenge and Rapinha looks like he wants to go off as well, got booked for arguing with the ref and just wouldn't stop, lucky lad.

Yup, turned it all around !!

35F1B35B-D9B2-4932-B6C7-EB55F71576F6.thumb.jpeg.e5dd31561a9a1bc29afc02ab410e53c3.jpeg

Can’t see Leeds changing this result, down to 10 men now, if Everton maintain this win will be a whole new ball game ( p1ss poor pun intended ).

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Agree with you about yesterday.

Listening to Parov Stelar, one eye on the footy and trying to do a bit of HTML coding all at the same time. Also got notifications coming in from Thai visa.

Now Mrs Owl is yak yak me for not listening to her rabbit on about something or other.

I get the impression Mrs Owl is not a footie fan !!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, turned it all around !!

35F1B35B-D9B2-4932-B6C7-EB55F71576F6.thumb.jpeg.e5dd31561a9a1bc29afc02ab410e53c3.jpeg

Can’t see Leeds changing this result, down to 10 men now, if Everton maintain this win will be a whole new ball game ( p1ss poor pun intended ).

It is tight down there and it hardly ever fails to be more interesting than the top of the league. I think Burnley are overdue for a relegation though, they've been knocking on the door way too long now and that could be the start of the end of them in the upper leagues.

Ideal end though would be Owls beat Sunderland and go up and the blunts stay down. Not gonna happen though is it.????

Think I'll have a swot up on the remaining game at the foot of the PL.

Edited by sotonowl

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I get the impression Mrs Owl is not a footie fan !!

You are not wrong there Andy.

Don't think she likes anything that I do. She was a nightmare in England when she was there with me. The worst time was when I took her fishing to Devon for a week. Moan. moan moan! "Mrs Owl", I would say. "Can't you keep your feet still. Scaring the fish, and talk in a whisper."

Mildred was not around back then.  Fortunately she loves a lot of things that her Mum don't care for.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

You are not wrong there Andy.

Don't think she likes anything that I do. She was a nightmare in England when she was there with me. The worst time was when I took her fishing to Devon for a week. Moan. moan moan! "Mrs Owl", I would say. "Can't you keep your feet still. Scaring the fish, and talk in a whisper."

Mildred was not around back then.  Fortunately she loves a lot of things that her Mum don't care for.

Well I have to say Owl , taking the old lady to England then taking her fishing !!

Not one of your better ideas.

She was probably thinking “ I could have done this back on the farm !! “

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well I have to say Owl , taking the old lady to England then taking her fishing !!

Not one of your better ideas.

She was probably thinking “ I could have done this back on the farm !! “

It wasn't all fishing. One day we went hiking on the moors near Heathercombe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

It wasn't all fishing. One day we went hiking on the moors near Heathercombe.

I know it’s difficult to imagine what will appeal to the females in our lives but I think you might be be a little off target with fishing and hiking.

She was probably looking forward to some shopping.
I might not be the greatest student of the female brain but I do know you can’t go wrong with shoes and handbags !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

I've just had a good look and if things stay the same today i've decided Leeds just need 1 more point to stay up as Burnley won't be getting anymore. 

Newcastle at home could be their saving grace, will be a nail biting last game of the season me thinks !!

30 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

It is tight down there and it hardly ever fails to be more interesting than the top of the league. I think Burnley are overdue for a relegation though, they've been knocking on the door way too long now and that could be the start of the end of them in the upper leagues.

Ideal end though would be Owls beat Sunderland and go up and the blunts stay down. Not gonna happen though is it.????

Think I'll have a swot up on the remaining game at the foot of the PL.

Who are the "blunts" or is that rhyming slang?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1