Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

Yes, all those tasty little bunnies hopping around the place just waiting for some Thai to come along and take them home for dinner… and free too ! ????

When on holiday visa in Australia Mrs HP was agog to see mango trees on public land, “Can have ?” ????

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I suspected that “fatty” might have had something to do with Mildred ????????

Glad to hear you’ve got some rain Owl, we got a little sprinkle here yesterday, only 2.3mm at home, but Darwin and suburbs got a nice dump.

I came home and went for a wander around the garden and spotted something slightly out of place

00779F4B-BE2D-4353-A9B9-031672236118.jpeg

I took a couple of pics of this Tawny Frogmouth, creeping in a bit closer, then backing back out so as not to disturb him. He was just cracking his eyelid to keep check on me…

I thought I’d leave him be and turned to walk away and something else caught my eye about 2m in front (formerly behind me) 

Greater Black Whipsnake, dangerously venomous as all good Australians are… ????????

And it seems that my BIL is getting ready to plant

46409E96-047D-41B1-B3ED-2EE71D38F9F4.jpeg

E62770CD-9DD8-414E-9C08-B29D7B8A68F8.jpeg

That bird is well camouflaged HP. So well that I can't even spot it.

I thought that the Tawny Frogmouth was a variety of owl. I checked it in the www and it seems that it is a separate species of bird. I am informed. Learn something new every day.

That snake looks as though it could spring up and grab ya nose as easy as anything.

• Like 1

Open and zoom the pic, the camouflage is amazing and he’s only 1 m off the ground !

I just checked and he’s in the next tree over today.

I was lucky with snakey, he was fairly chilled, he took the view that “If I stay still, HP won’t see me” rather than getting all antsy like a Northern Brown snake might.

6 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Open and zoom the pic, the camouflage is amazing and he’s only 1 m off the ground !

I just checked and he’s in the next tree over today.

I was lucky with snakey, he was fairly chilled, he took the view that “If I stay still, HP won’t see me” rather than getting all antsy like a Northern Brown snake might.

Did as you said HP.

Still can't see it. Put a circle round it.

00779F4B-BE2D-4353-A9B9-031672236118.thumb.jpeg.dab9168fa657b83cb67cb1df825e74e1.jpeg.9f858de7e3ce2d9f7cc41cbedb3b822f.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s the first time I’ve spotted him perched up during the daytime.

I see him and sometimes his wife reasonably often at nighttime.

Im not sure who sang it, but after the rain cleared he claimed he could see all the obstacles that were in his way, but I’m pretty sure he married that hiso Thai lady regardless…

????

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Owl, I feel I should offer some sage advice re coveting the lady next doors mangos… ????

I need advice HP. Speak freely HP. Don't fear being cancelled or deplatformed.

At this stage of my life I look for few things. A nice cuppa in the mornings. A life of calm. A life of love. A life of caring. England to smash the Ozzies next time The Ashes are contested. And most importantly, I hope I live to see Leyton Orient win the EPL. Perhaps winning might be pushing it a bit; just getting there would be enough.

Oh yes! Big, well formed, mangoes. Can't beat them. And isn't there an eleventh commandment? Thou should not covet thy neighbours' big mangoes'. There is no hope for me.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 2

I often wonder and hope that your home life is better nowadays than that described at the time in the BIL thread…

Ive no idea what an epl is… ????

But my Blues have made it a 7/2 start to the season and we almost haven’t won 7 in a season since 1999 !

Happy days here in Humpty Doo. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I often wonder and hope that your home life is better nowadays than that described at the time in the BIL thread…

But my Blues have made it a 7/2 start to the season and we almost haven’t won 7 in a season since 1999 !

Oh yes1 The poison BinL thread. Essential reading for any guy setting foot on Thai soil and thinking it is simply 'The Land of Smiles'. If I had my time again I wouldn't change much. If I did Mildred would not be with me now. Have to learn to take the 'rough' with the 'smooth' here.

Epl is English Premier League. That's proper footy. Not that Oz rules stuff or the padded up American Football. Also not to be confused with 'fuzball'.

Pleased that The Blues are doing so well HP.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

Well Owl, surely your location hasn't missed out on the latest deluge? Absolute buckets since the wee hours. Still hasn't stopped. This May is definitely going to shake up your steady decline in rainfall graph. 

Might see you at Mildred's school, I pick up the in-laws and own grandchildren in the afternoon, now 3 different schools. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I need advice HP. Speak freely HP. Don't fear being cancelled or deplatformed.

At this stage of my life I look for few things. A nice cuppa in the mornings. A life of calm. A life of love. A life of caring. England to smash the Ozzies next time The Ashes are contested. And most importantly, I hope I live to see Leyton Orient win the EPL. Perhaps winning might be pushing it a bit; just getting there would be enough.

Oh yes! Big, well formed, mangoes. Can't beat them. And isn't there an eleventh commandment? Thou should not covet thy neighbours' big mangoes'. There is no hope for me.

Leyton orient?  Not Dagenham & Redbridge?  Bad owl ???? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DaveE13 said:

Leyton orient?  Not Dagenham & Redbridge?  Bad owl ???? 

Good point Dave.

I lived for 30 years withing a couple of miles from the Victoria Road ground. Went to see them many times. But Orient was the first club I saw live. A 2-2 draw with Sheff Wednesday in the late 50s. I took to watching Spurs during their 'Glory glory' years, but turned away from them when they put a floodlight pylon where I usually stood. Orient were on the move, and did very well in getting into the top flight alongside Liverpool in 1962.

Ipswich had won the title that year (1961/62) and they were only promoted the year before. So Orient were gonna take the league apart as The Tractor Boys did. Alas, It was not to be. We finished a miserable last getting just 21 points. To rub salt into the wound. Liverpool won the league the following season. That could have been us!

So yes Dave, Dagenham were my local club. And I always look for their result (just shy of the play-off this season), but If I could pick one club to win the ELP it would be Leyton Orient.

Edited by owl sees all

On 5/15/2022 at 4:01 PM, HighPriority said:

Your Blue Baggers are doing better than my West Coast Eagles HP.

• Like 2