Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Any tips and advice would be welcome

Well we have had trouble with cats in the back garden which is well fenced off. They jump in and take a dump, quite easy to spot though as we have bark down and you can see where they've disturbed it. So I bought a couple of these cat repellants that emit a high pitched sound when the motion sensor gets triggered. Could a motion sensor be the way to go Owl with some sort of device that emits a whoooo whooooo sounds and some battery fed scary lighting.????

Not seen a cat since mind.

Edited by sotonowl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Like it!!!

Some sort of an automatic frightener. I also like Chaz's idea of luminous paint; although I can't see myself prancing round the ponds in the dark smothered in gunk.

There are a few things to consider in all this; cost, practicability and effectiveness. In a nutshell; what is the cheapest and easiest way to produce the desired result?

I'm gonna give it some serious thought and decide on the action to take.

Massive big storm in Ban Dung this afternoon. Started at 3-40. I was waiting for Mrs Owl who was buying veggies at the afternoon market. Storm cloud arrived quickly from the south-west.

00stormclouds.png.48c3276508240f832f478cd2d8667b60.png

Couldn't get out of the town for 30 minutes. Flash flooding everywhere.

The storm coincided with picking up the grandchildren from school. A bit of a nightmare as the eldest, same school/ year as your daughter, usually waits in Suan Rak by the Stonehenge impression like many others, but today all fled to shelter such as the bus station.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Like it!!!

Some sort of an automatic frightener. I also like Chaz's idea of luminous paint; although I can't see myself prancing round the ponds in the dark smothered in gunk.

00stormclouds.png.48c3276508240f832f478cd2d8667b60.png

See Owl, this is where we are different… ????

????????

5 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I have 2 cat deterrents, called Leo & Chang.

Leo.jpg

We did have dogs at the farm; LaLa and LuLu.

LaLa was killed by our neighbour, cause it killed one of his chickens, and LuLu suddenly died. The general consensus was that she was bitten bu the big cobra that lives in a close by wood.

I've see this snake twice. The second time I was up a ladder, sorting out water. I watched it for 30 seconds or so. It is about 2 metres long and 1bout 1.75 inches across. Not seen it for 3/4 years now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HighPriority said:

See Owl, this is where we are different… ????

????????

12 hours ago, HighPriority said:

I also like Chaz's idea of luminous paint; although I can't see myself prancing round the ponds in the dark smothered in gunk.

I could pay Mrs Owl to do the prancing. Leave a 50 baht note sticking out of my top pocket. That would capture her interest.

But!!!

She would probably scare herself.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rickudon said:

The 'fishing hut'  also wiped out a year of savings.....

Oh, and forget about the hard graft! 2 hours a day is about my maximum.

One reason i like this thread is that I see similarities to my situation, although with differences. We both previously had afro wives (mine was from West Africa), came to Thailand at a similar time, got married, and we both had a daughter (mine is 10 years). We both live in a village (although mine is somewhat urbanised, on the edge of Udon Thani), both like ponds and fish, and both like a bit of farming (although Owl is serious about it, i just play at it). My daughter also likes drawing and painting.

Great stuff Rick.

Have you a couple of pics of the pond?.  And what fish are in there?

The plan is to start pumping out water from number five pond today. But there are always distractions.

Yes! Previous life experiences. My good lady was English, with roots in Jamaica. Had a lot of wonderful times there; and Cuba also. Was at Sabina Park in Kingston, when that infamous game vs England was abandoned due to giant cracks in the pitch. 1998, if my memory is still active.

Why not select a nice painting and post it. Love to hear of youngsters  interests other than the 'tippy tappy'.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Next, the main pond, about 1.2 rai. stocked with anything i can get (mekongs, striped catfish, tilapia, Java barb, Pacu, giant Gourami, Carp, climbing Perch, Snakeheads)

photo4.thumb.jpg.928e4cd7d0c543f178149165c919f900.jpg

next,  As i have a bad back, the Isaan slaves do the heavy lifting! (wife supervising)

photo2.thumb.jpg.5a49e7f9c71667f9716781722044ecc8.jpg

Finally, the rice field next to the main pond, about 1 rai. Originally all 3 were one big pond .... or more accurately, swamp, shallow and sometimes mainly dry. Redesigned by self and dug out by a large excavator (the rice field was my wife's idea, and was double the intended size!photo1.thumb.jpg.c21dabe228ed9ed2a9f6f76ddbca8dab.jpg

What!!! 12 rai. Puts my eight puddles to shame.

ponds01.jpg.1e61a761bdfbd2ef1f6f90aad62c6acc.jpg

Completely finished the pond work. Except to move the distressed lily to what water is left in the pond. As it gradually fills it will look great.

13ponds.png.f691f2007bfe949e5750ee7f0abe0af7.png

Have lots of pics to post tomorrow.

Sorry Rick. Just noticed the decimal point. Must invest in a new pair of specks when I go to the 20 baht shop in the week.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

I would love to have 8 ponds, but i think that with all the bank space i would end up with very little water! Did want to buy neighbours swamp land, but the price was too high. He is slowly filling it in with the most disgusting waste, half of it plastic (the polystyrene blows into my pond).

• Sad 2

49 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Thanks Owl enjoy the week… 

what are set ups in the pond? 

CCBD8D2A-A706-4E9B-BA7E-C05141CBBEA6.jpeg

Good question. It all seems like a waste of time, and effort, now.

I returned from England in 2016. While there I had made contacts with fish farms and fish dealers. During the period of the dry season of 2016/17 - I started making some holding tanks for kois. Sewing up dozens of yards of netting. It was all a bit ambitious. I put them into the ponds for the wet season of 2017.

nets.png.2d0f06220d2cb77b1d04e7ed21be1294.png

The wet season never arrived. I did my best to keep up the water level, with continual pumping from other ponds, but the nets gradually got stuck in the mud. Eventually during 2018, I lost interest in the concept. There was never gonna be 'big bucks' in it anyway. So it was wasted efforts with some wasted money thrown in.  But not huge amounts. of dosh

2017, through to 2021 were trully abysmal and I didn't upkeep the tanks. The nets are now under the mud. Still have the frames though. Perhaps my enthusiasm might be rekindled if the wet, and monsoon seasons, return to their traditional (pre-2016) forces.

The plan was to rear kois to about 6/7 inches long and send them to England and Holland. I had contacts in both countries. If the conditions had been better, we might even had bred the kois from fertile fish. But it was not to be, and myself and Mildred must now be content to simple enjoy looking after them. I had a few black (very black) kois , and when I was in England, the dealers were quite interested in these along with my platinums.

Traditionally, Japan has been the go-to place for kois, but they are expensive. In recent years Israel has become the home of cheaper, quality fish, with varieties not available anywhere else.

• Like 2

Are the Platinum's also known as Ghost Koi ?? My dad, God rest his soul, had a massive ghost koi in his very large and deep pond, I know how big the pond was as it took close to the 3 weeks he & mum were on holiday for me and a mate to dog it out ????