Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

54 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Are the Platinum's also known as Ghost Koi ?? My dad, God rest his soul, had a massive ghost koi in his very large and deep pond, I know how big the pond was as it took close to the 3 weeks he & mum were on holiday for me and a mate to dog it out ????

No Not the same GT.

A ghost koi - or ghostie - is a fish with small reflective scales. Their name originates from the fact that in poor light the scales reflect what light there is and they appear ghostly in an the water. They - although very attractive - are seen as an abomination or deformed in the koi fancier's world. Don't make them any less beautiful though.. This particular variety of fish can suffer skin/scale problems; more than the norm in water that is not pristine

A platinum is a carp, with either regular or irregular scaling, that are pure white.

I'll post some pics of the two.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Are the Platinum's also known as Ghost Koi ?? My dad, God rest his soul, had a massive ghost koi in his very large and deep pond, I know how big the pond was as it took close to the 3 weeks he & mum were on holiday for me and a mate to dog it out ????

A couple of pics showing shiny scaled kois. Can be called 'GinRin' or 'Metallic; Only the white GinRins are really 'Ghosties'.

00ginrin.png.826a7fec3d0e49562c876df550f44cb0.png02ginrin.png.6700e535c1e652777b17731a88a8da8b.png01ginrin.png.30f1e5924172e9b849a373ca3a5343c6.png

And a couple of 'Platinums'.

11fidh.png.491ce748e38d4fb5cb77948640804681.png

My favourite fish is a gold on black. I'll try to find a pic.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, we knew you were going to ! ????

We were going to put the ordinary nin into the pond, but decided to get some red nin instead. They are a little more expensive.

Had a delivery of 3000 red nin some 7 years ago. They were very popular with the customers. Some say they tasted different to standard nin. Can't say I noticed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Talking about pla nin.

Standard nin fry.

11nin.png.82e70d14aed4265ce4826604a1b2bdcb.png

Red nin.

11ninred.png.608556d4e1a1fca584a211db29f55ff5.png

I've heard it said that the red nin taste even better than the dark ones.

I don't know about red but the dark pla in is delicious fried imo 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bannork said:

I don't know about red but the dark pla in is delicious fried imo 

Completely agree with you there Bannork. Still have 10 or so in the freezer from the pond draining.

I have a chance of getting some barramundi fry. Never ate one knowingly, but I'm told there are good eaters. Our Aussie posters would know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Completely agree with you there Bannork. Still have 10 or so in the freezer from the pond draining.

I have a chance of getting some barramundi fry. Never ate one knowingly, but I'm told there are good eaters. Our Aussie posters would know.

Barramundi is delicious. I would say more so than Talapia if it is cooked right. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Salt water fish are great eating, not overly flavorsome, but firm white flesh, with few or at worst large bones in the fillet.

Dam or billabong fish are prone to being a darker slightly muddy tasting fish generally.

They grow fast and big, changing sex from male to female around the size of 900mm, they are a regular catch by those in the know, at sizes above 1200mm.

All female and all are released to breed another day.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Me & Mrs MD tried one of these portable A/C's. It didn't live up to expectations.

Ended up giving it away.

Same here Matt.

Did a feature on one that I bought from DoHome in Udon for about 4-5k baht a year or so back. Went well for about 6 months. Then the display went wonkey. After that is was just a clumsy fan for the next six months when it packed it in. Gave it to the junk man in the end.

The ones in Big C look to be robust. I'll be keeping an eye on them.

• Like 1

Are those A/Cs or evaporative (swamp) coolers? I tried a few different swamp coolers in the Philippines and they don't seem to work well in the high humidity.

Owl, did you try lubricating your old clippers with some clipper/sewing machine oil?

I have an electric beard trimmer that was doing the same thing (pulling hairs) and put some clipper oil on the blades and they work much better now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

<Snip>

As for the clippers; I was oiling them before each use. I think they were just blunt. I'd had them a few years and others had used them also. These new battery one is better all round. They have a wider range of setting, and one is so tight that it can double as an electric shaver. (If Mrs Owl finds that out I'd never get it back.)

<End of Snip>

I prefer ceramic bladed clippers as it saves all the pi$$-farting about with oil. I brought a decent set of Remington ceramic clippers that I bought on eBay with me when I moved to Thailand and they lasted about 10 years. The blades were still sharp but the motor (mains powered) conked out. Then I bought a cheap set (under 600 baht) of no name rechargeable ceramic clippers off Lazada. Been using them for around 3 years now and they are the dogs b0ll0cks.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 2