Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

On 3/6/2020 at 4:58 PM, owl sees all said:

To start with I had Adobe Photoshop before and now I'm using paint. Just no comparison!! Mildred thinks 'Paint' is OK though.

Windows 10 has a sort of basic photoshop. I only use it for cropping and rotating, but it has other options which I haven't used. Just click on any photo and enlarge it, then click on "edit" and select the option desired.

I hate that photoshop is now only rentable.

On 3/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, owl sees all said:

Three meals, two bottles of coke; 140 Baht. Food was not as clean, and fresh, as it should have been. No tissues on the table; or any table. Water in the jug warm. No tooth pics. Toilet hadn't been cleaned for about 11 years. Mrs Owl didn't even eat her pork balls soaked in dead fish sauce. Certainly not a 'treat' of any sort. But par for the course in these parts.

Sounds like you have a business opportunity. Open a restaurant doing it properly and you'll be minting it. Might be more profitable than the farm.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Great stuff. Keep it going. Been back just over a week now. Spent last weekend in Udon, very quiet. Noticeably more so than usual.  Made my way back up here in the NE to the other half’s village where I will stay until heading for Nakhon Phanom for a couple of days before heading back to Udon then back to UK. 

Usually back most months but with all the Corona goings on, will probably let’s things settle for a bit, especially with all the self reg stuff coming out past few days. 

Seems to be festival season. Every temple seems to have something going on. Some noisy music events, some just hoards of locals listening to the monks for hours. Seems to be a glorified reason for an all day p.iss up for many of the local gents. 

44C13338-3B68-446B-A3F0-B690981A85A3.thumb.jpeg.fabcb21af72de8356276ef889c5c4334.jpeg

43DF60C5-76B0-4B03-87C1-50919281E1CE.thumb.jpeg.af990ad80e4c7e6bce6f0a5b0d78a61f.jpeg
Been down to visit the land. Be a nice view one day watching the sun go down. The old lady has sold all the plots now, mostly foreigners. Mine is the last one to have soil down so the local soil man is badgering me for business. I will probably do it soon especially as it seems many foreigners are looking for land near to the lake.
4D4C8358-BBE5-4057-AE0A-083827B5B261.thumb.jpeg.3d4646a31e318c558568fe2335204c2a.jpeg89855E51-94D0-4AAE-9FBC-D745C7929C9B.thumb.jpeg.d7f6f35c7e18817cdc89c0b3b7689bf0.jpegI’ve been coming here 6 years and the number of foreigners here is def on the up. The latest talk of the village is this 15 rai purchase for 15 million and what looks like a monster home going up. 

The latest addition to the family home. That’s 4 dogs now. I bought them 23 chickens last month and they are now producing around 20 eggs a day. Her mother is over the moon. I think it’s just the fact she can sell something to the neighbors makes her feel Like some kind of business person. 

BE0F3C4C-4FC0-4341-BACE-7CE42CC830EC.thumb.jpeg.e63082906f5833871784960c9c8fe6d4.jpeg8920D738-103E-4929-BDE4-AD446D6535C5.thumb.jpeg.47fa50e12d28d75094e317fa9c41cbc5.jpeg

Been for our usual one hour exercise round the lake. Nice way to watch the sun come up. Usually ends up being around a dozen who turn up at the same time. I’m hoping one day they extend the path round the lake for cycling and walking much as they do along most Mekong resorts such as Nakhon. But for now it’s pleasant enough. After that some grilled fish for me and sticky rice for brekkie. 

96D06594-C399-4E7B-AA80-4E164F0FD446.thumb.jpeg.4bfd11503d5064d66f6235ea16ebf43d.jpeg72FF8834-78C2-49D1-B29F-F70094994EED.thumb.jpeg.78d3e5c8a4be5a9c486bb8173fbf499f.jpeg

Had a local fair and market in the village, finished 2 days ago. Plastic and rubbish still everywhere. This is only a fraction of it. This is where Thailand let’s itself down. Light years behind.

020CAF6C-9E42-491D-8BAC-ACC4BBCEFB50.thumb.jpeg.c328fa2490394b04272f3daf3d44fb87.jpeg

Today will probably cruising around the lake on my scooter. It’s about 40km in all and I love it. Roads are dead. 

Have a good day. 

Fantastic post. Wouldn't expect anything else from an Iron's fan though.

Where is the lake you speak of Kadilo? Is it inside the big ring road. Any fishing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds like you have a business opportunity. Open a restaurant doing it properly and you'll be minting it. Might be more profitable than the farm.

Restaurants seem to open and close down all the time around here. Although the better ones stick around for ever. The restaurant in the bus station in Bandung is a good one. Also the one, on the left, just past the river going out of Phen is OK. We only went to the bank one because it was handy at that time. Horrible!!

Mrs Owl does make a nice cuppa. And also this pot noodle soup stuff; not bad. She boils eggs nice too.

Most of her cooked stuff is inedible. Not sure we could 'minting it' under any stretch.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Fantastic post. Wouldn't expect anything else from an Iron's fan though.

Where is the lake you speak of Kadilo? Is it inside the big ring road. Any fishing?

The village is Beung Khong Long, about 2 and half hours from Udon in the Bung Kan province. The main road runs all around the lake,  around 40km.

Yes, the boats are out early fishing. I’ve seen a lot of the children fishing and pull out mainly small fry. I’ve had a go myself without any luck but something I will get into more on the future as I love a day at the lake. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

The village is Beung Khong Long, about 2 and half hours from Udon in the Bung Kan province. The main road runs all around the lake,  around 40km.

Yes, the boats are out early fishing. I’ve seen a lot of the children fishing and pull out mainly small fry. I’ve had a go myself without any luck but something I will get into more on the future as I love a day at the lake. 

Found it on Google Earth. Just shy of 20 km2. Big indeed!

• Like 1

Found it on Google Earth. Just shy of 20 km2. Big indeed!

Just north-east of Ban Dung there is a large lake, Huay Chiam or Jiam, ฮวย เจียม. We were offered 50 rai for 2 million baht, good land, just high enough to avoid flooding, its status was Nor Sor Sam, could be upgraded to chanote status in 3 years, the owner claimed. There was no electricity within 2 km but we thought we'd be okay with solar power.

The thing that turned us against it was its isolation. The missus said she would pop home (15km away), every 3 days or so, but the family reckoned at night it could be downright dangerous. We planned to have approx 20 buffaloes, which coupled with farm and solar power machinery might be tempting for serious robbers.

The land is 2 km from the nearest house and next to a bumpy dirt road which ends at the lake.

Still, 50 rai of nice land for 2 million baht. So tempting!

59 minutes ago, bannork said:

Just north-east of Ban Dung there is a large lake, Huay Chiam or Jiam, ฮวย เจียม. We were offered 50 rai for 2 million baht, good land, just high enough to avoid flooding, its status was Nor Sor Sam, could be upgraded to chanote status in 3 years, the owner claimed. There was no electricity within 2 km but we thought we'd be okay with solar power.

The thing that turned us against it was its isolation. The missus said she would pop home (15km away), every 3 days or so, but the family reckoned at night it could be downright dangerous. We planned to have approx 20 buffaloes, which coupled with farm and solar power machinery might be tempting for serious robbers.

The land is 2 km from the nearest house and next to a bumpy dirt road which ends at the lake.

Still, 50 rai of nice land for 2 million baht. So tempting!

Have to be careful in that area, as the site could be linked to the salt fields.

Send me a PM with the geo' ref' and I'll check it out. I know that area quite well.

Was going to buy some land near Ban Dung 12 years ago. We had a good look at it and made an offer of 7 million Baht (they wanted 10). The land owners said 'yes' in principle but wanted to check with family.

I went back to England, and while I was there the wife let it slip that she was married to a farang. The price suddenly jumped up to 20 million. It also had a nice pond. Seven million was about right, 20 million a joke. Land still for sale this year.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Kadilo said:

The old lady has sold all the plots now, mostly foreigners. Mine is the last one to have soil down so the local soil man is badgering me for business. I will probably do it soon especially as it seems many foreigners are looking for land near to the lake.

I assume you forgot to include "Thai wives" in relation to buying land. Far as I know, foreigners can't buy land in LOS. Very good thing too, IMO.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Judging by over five hundred posts to this thread in four months, our owl is becoming more popular by the day (or should that be night?) and well deserved too.

I'd go as far as to say he seems to being put on some sort of pedestal.

image.png.c5c6250a23269f2f19250c5fe7d80627.png

Is that owl made of bronze or chocolate?

• Haha 2

Well, that was a bloody rabbit hole to send me down @owl sees all @thai beach lovers et al !!!

ive just spent two days reading the BIL thread linked at the bottom of page 34 (?) 

my feeble little brain is spinning, trying to catch up and digest the various comings and goings... my wife has been in Australia for 9 months now, and though I purchased a second hand tractor for them ????????‍♂️ I’ve been pretty much spared the family/BIL <deleted> that so many of you have endured.

your stories have been salient, inspiring and foreboding, lucky for me my wife is different...

I sincerely hope that you guys are happy and well, I wish the Dark Lord would stop by...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Well, that was a bloody rabbit hole to send me down @owl sees all @thai beach lovers et al !!!

ive just spent two days reading the BIL thread linked at the bottom of page 34 (?) 

my feeble little brain is spinning, trying to catch up and digest the various comings and goings... my wife has been in Australia for 9 months now, and though I purchased a second hand tractor for them ????????‍♂️ I’ve been pretty much spared the family/BIL <deleted> that so many of you have endured.

your stories have been salient, inspiring and foreboding, lucky for me my wife is different...

I sincerely hope that you guys are happy and well, I wish the Dark Lord would stop by...

A lot of the guys that contributed to Poison BinL are still posting. Rc2707, Old Hippy and The Dark Lord have been very quiet though. I miss their wisdom and humour.

"Things change, but some people never do." Who sang that? Future Islands; one of my favourite groups.

In my matrimonial case, the wife has calmed down somewhat. Is it age, is she becoming a more understanding lady, has she gradually developed a Dagenham sense of humour*? No! More likely the penny dropped that the reason I've not brought my untold wealth to Thailand, and given it to her, and her brothers, to squander, is because there are no hidden riches to be had? Who knows the secrets that lay between the ears of a Thai woman?

* A fatalistic outlook on life, necessitating a dry, melancholy response to everything that happens in the world. Whatever is bad today, can only worsen tomorrow. So why not enjoy your sorrow!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

A lot of the guys that contributed to Poison BinL are still posting. Rc2707, Old Hippy and The Dark Lord have been very quiet though. I miss their wisdom and humour.

"Things change, but some people never do." Who sang that? Future Islands; one of my favourite groups.

In my matrimonial case, the wife has calmed down somewhat. Is it age, is she becoming a more understanding lady, has she gradually developed a Dagenham sense of humour*? No! More likely the penny dropped that the reason I've not brought my untold wealth to Thailand, and given it to her, and her brothers, to squander, is because there are no hidden riches to be had? Who knows the secrets that lay between the ears of a Thai woman?

* A fatalistic outlook on life, necessitating a dry, melancholy response to everything that happens in the world. Whatever is bad today, can only worsen tomorrow. So why not enjoy your sorrow!

Yet I sense plenty of life and fight in the old dog yet... ! ????

I was amazed Owl, to read of the troubles that you yourself have endured as the life we see you live in this thread is borderline beautiful, as is ViIllagefarangs thread. As I sit here pondering a future retirement to the LOS (also watching the $AUD hit 18.9743 as we speak !! ????????)

i greatly enjoy and admire the ramblings of yourselves and those other likeminded souls who don’t swing from Pattaya barstools and instead populate this and other threads.

My wife is from a small village outside of Phon Phisai so I find your musings of Nong Khai an invaluable resource to me. 

But most importantly I’m also extremely glad to hear of the relative peace and calm that you have now, long may it last !

thank you and good luck in your ventures

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

We have a winner!

It was written in full knowledge Kadilo, I’m glad you enjoyed it ????

edit: I’m glad you enjoyed it too Odysseus ! 
I trust your health and will are strong

Edited by HighPriority
Acknowledging
  • Haha 1