Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I live in Buriram and last time I renewed my PP (2017), I used an agent. Around 11K baht (Cost of "Jumbo" UK PP included in that). IMHO, much better/cheaper than 2 x trips to BKK with she-who-must-be-obeyed, plus overnight stay, food, drink etc. Well worth it.

Thanks for that MD.

12k don't seem too bad then. It's with a known agent and reasonably local (Udon).

I think the option of sending the PP to England, and doing it on the internet, is not worth the effort or the worry. And I will only go to BKK if I absolutely need to. Don't like the place. Far to busy! So it looks like I'll be contacting the agent at the end of September. Or can I do it earlier? Can it be done 8 months early?

47 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

You can renew 8 months early, but you will lose those months. UK passports now commence from the date of issue. Previously you could apply early and get 10 years from the expiry date of the old passport (I think it was up to 6 months added on).

Changes made due to Brexit.

Just for info. It was 9 months when I renewed mine in Oct 2016 and my new passport is valid until July 2027.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

I just did my daughters first passport last month. Because it was first passport a LOT of extra documents needed, quite a hassle. But better to do now than her trying to do it after i have gone. Was going to use Keyvisa to do it but owner died, didn't like the idea of all my documents sitting in an office in Pattaya maybe forever. Did find another agent, "Marks sending Machine" which was recommended to me by a Udonmap member who charges 4,000 baht (you still have to pay the passport fee, you need a credit card to do that). Had a hiccup as he was going on holiday so i took to Bangkok myself - glad i took lots of extra evidence as asked for more but yes, the VFS staff member was helpful allowing me to rewrite a couple of pages of the app. form and do photocopying, and waited while i did so. Marks sending machine is in the process of picking up - will report back if i get the passport!

Currently 3 weeks turnaround but it is a quiet time of year, was 11 weeks in late summer. Passport fees went up 1st February. Round trip to Bangkok cost me about 3500 baht - to do it in one day you will probably need an afternoon appointment (booking system).

How things grow - getting daughters passport evolved into us all having to go to UK AND sister-in-law getting married there at the same time. Savings are evaporating like an Isaan puddle in the sun!

Thanks for that Rick.

I did Mildred's PP some years ago. It has run out now, but she is in the system; which I thought important. I reckon it was a lot easier 10 years ago compared to now. I've a good mind to renew it for her this year.

Yes, please do report back on the happenings. I think a lot of members are interested in events; as I am.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Thanks for that Rick.

I did Mildred's PP some years ago. It has run out now, but she is in the system; which I thought important. I reckon it was a lot easier 10 years ago compared to now. I've a good mind to renew it for her this year.

Yes, please do report back on the happenings. I think a lot of members are interested in events; as I am.

I don't know about child passports but for adults you can renew up to 10 years after expiry. Longer than 10 years you have to complete the full process, as if it was your 1st passport.

• Like 1

My daughter sent me the form ,filled it in with her address in Uk, sent it  EMS with

old passport , she took it to post office ,paid for it , returned to her in 12 days , that

was 3 years ago ,could take longer ,as everything does now, anyway she sent EMS

back to me , no problem ,took it to immigration to get stamps transferred , but they

wanted letter from UK embassy asking them to transfer, bloody red tape, sent Email

to British Embassy Bangkok , requesting letter ,arrived couple days later , no charge .!

took it and passport to immigration transferred no problem .would do the same next

time , if i live that long .....

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Mangoes. Here in Nong Nalam been a problem. Many trees had loads of flowers, but now ZERO fruit. We have one big tree like that. Sister-in-law has at least 4 trees the same. A few others in the village visible from the road the same. Was it the week of cold weather about 2 weeks ago? It seems to be the Mangoes which start off green more affected.

Passport - 'Mark' has recieved my pickup authorisation, says next week.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rickudon said:

Mangoes. Here in Nong Nalam been a problem. Many trees had loads of flowers, but now ZERO fruit. We have one big tree like that. Sister-in-law has at least 4 trees the same. A few others in the village visible from the road the same. Was it the week of cold weather about 2 weeks ago? It seems to be the Mangoes which start off green more affected.

Passport - 'Mark' has recieved my pickup authorisation, says next week.

I mentioned this to Owl a few weeks back. The problem was the trees flowered when it was still cold, resulting in zero insects to pollinate them. Fortunately we have a variety of mango trees and some have flowered later and are now producing fruit.

But yes, our crop will be way down this year.

On the plus side, our Indian plum tree has produced some fruit after I erroneously assumed the flowers had died. And the lychee flowers are being pollinated okay 

Edited by bannork
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I agree with both of you.

It's the same here. And not just with fruit. Sugar and cassava growth so far this season is abysmal.. The yields at the end of the year will be poor at best. For most of Isaan, rainfall has been virtually non-existent; and no change is expected as we stride into March. In our area we have had just one decent drop since the beginning of October. Couple this, with a two month long cold spell and it all points to poor crops.

Our oil palm monthly harvests have been low. Although oil palm nuts start their life 18 months before they are cut, It is the final 4 months that ripen them. I drove through one of the farms today and didn't see much to be positive about.

Isaan is one of the poorest areas in Thailand, with rural activities at its heart. Farming - and needless to say produce in abundance - is essential for any sort of community prosperity in the North East..

I'd like to amend that last paragraph slightly- 

'needless to say, offspring in abundance sending money home, is essential.....'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, bannork said:

I'd like to amend that last paragraph slightly- 

'needless to say, offspring in abundance sending money home, is essential.....'

Bang on the money there Bannork.

And of course there is the 'jackpot'! No! Not the Thai lottery. The humble farang joining the family.

• Like 1

The birds at the hospital at sunset are amazing, the volume! I wonder if they are sparrows.

There seems to be so many,

I wonder why the need for so much chatter at sunset,  perhaps comparing which wards' bins offered the best leftovers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, bannork said:

The birds at the hospital at sunset are amazing, the volume! I wonder if they are sparrows.

There seems to be so many,

I wonder why the need for so much chatter at sunset,  perhaps comparing which wards' bins offered the best leftovers?

Bang on the money over hospital food waste Bannork.

I'm thinking that these birds have a great life. In the forest, or hanging around buddhas in the day, and getting together for a hospital sing-song at night. Are they there every night I wonder?

What happen to that buffalo avatar bro'?

Looks like they did a good job with the tin roof Owl.

Just a word of caution for them,get the buckets ready to fill up with flying ants after the 1st decent rain this year.

Or leave the inside lights off.????

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Looks like they did a good job with the tin roof Owl.

Just a word of caution for them, get the buckets ready to fill up with flying ants after the 1st decent rain this year.

Or leave the inside lights off.????

The lady of the house is married to a farang.

He is due to visit this month. It's obvious where the money has been spent. I'll pass it on about the flying ants. A delicacy for sure. But 'rain'??!! Don't think we will see any in 2023.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

But 'rain'??!! Don't think we will see any in 2023.

Yes i've got a feeling it will be a year of dribs and drabs,no consistency.,

1st test will be we normally get a decent rain around the 10th of March before then waiting till songkran.

2 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Yes i've got a feeling it will be a year of dribs and drabs,no consistency.,

1st test will be we normally get a decent rain around the 10th of March before then waiting till songkran.

Really, it's all down to that Greta T bird. She has put the mockers on it.

What a change from when I first arrived here 15 years ago! Even during the dry season back then, one downpour at least every month could be relied on. And during the wet time, I was forever wondering how to stop all the ponds overflowing. I remember asking Chai, from the adjacent farm, if we could flood his fields one year.

I'm still not given up on the self-supporting pump that we talked about a year or so back. I need it to lift from 6/7 metres down. Can that be done? Seen a couple of vids on YT with a Thai lad doing just great. Looking at a solar system. But have to hurry if Mildred's fish are to be saved in pond 7. Might be easier to catch them and put them into another pond.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money over hospital food waste Bannork.

I'm thinking that these birds have a great life. In the forest, or hanging around buddhas in the day, and getting together for a hospital sing-song at night. Are they there every night I wonder?

What happen to that buffalo avatar bro'?

Those birds are there every night.

The buffalo got sick multiple times, at least that's what the daughter said, so sadly he bought the farm.