Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

A quick change of subject, but linked to this thread. When I read about Owl and his daughter solving the Rubik's cube, I thought I'd give it a go. So I found a decent set of videos on YouTube and after a month (yes, a whole <deleted> month - must be my short term memory going down the bog as I age), can now solve it without having to refer to notes. Never realized I had so much time to kill unitil I moved upcountry just over a month ago. 

Anyway, thanks Owl. What is your next puzzle adventure?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sterling said:

As for the pics, maybe try 600px in png format and 800px in jpeg format and upload a few test pics and we can tell you if there is a combination that is good quality and more efficient than your older, larger pics.

Good idea Sterling. I'll do as you suggest. Trial and error.

All the pics in the post above were top quality; 800px on png. Can only really better that by putting up the original.

I think some regulars use a phone. Don't know how they will look if the quality is dropped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bannork said:

Since Friday I realise how much I love Issan and football and how much I loathe Hong Kong and rugby!

Would that because of the banning of the 'Winnie the Poo' film?

Isaan is one of the best places to live in the whole world. If I could get to trust the wife a bit more, get the ponds to stay full and stop plastic blowing about everywhere, it could be even better.

I miss the football a lot though.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Would that because of the banning of the 'Winnie the Poo' film?

Isaan is one of the best places to live in the whole world. If I could get to trust the wife a bit more, get the ponds to stay full and stop plastic blowing about everywhere, it could be even better.

I miss the football a lot though.

No, my dislike for Hong Kong and rugby came on all of a sudden, clouding my vision of the wider world.

A shrink offered me succinct ( is that the right word, it sounds good?) advice 

'Turn off your phone for a few days and the symptoms will disappear.'

'No doctor! Please, no! Anything but....'

13 hours ago, bannork said:

No, my dislike for Hong Kong and rugby came on all of a sudden, clouding my vision of the wider world.

A shrink offered me succinct ( is that the right word, it sounds good?) advice 

'Turn off your phone for a few days and the symptoms will disappear.'

'No doctor! Please, no! Anything but....'

As Tony Gosling says; "turn of the psycho in the corner, to remain sane."

Referring to English people and their obsession with the TV. Here in Thailand we are 'sane' enough. Or we wouldn't be here.

Last week was March as we know it. Hot sticky and dry.

2 hours ago, bannork said:

Owl, I found one mod to be very decent. He deleted a post of mine but explained in a sympathetic manner why.

I gathered from his appearance he was an avid sunbather or simply spent a lot of his time outside 

Did you get any rain yesterday Bannork?

The bit we got here was pitiful. Promised so much, with the breeze getting up, and the sky darkening. I'd complain if there was anyone to complain to.

The Mrs told me that last week there was a shower of hail - ice as big as golf balls -  in Khon Kaen. Anyone!

19 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The Mrs told me that last week there was a shower of hail - ice as big as golf balls -  in Khon Kaen. Anyone!

Hi Owl

Our daughter in Chumphae had a hail storm.

35 clicks away we got two drops.

It's got to the stage i will start dry seeding my sunn hemp on Monday and hope rain comes later.

1680228699395.jpg

1680228726251.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Hi Owl

Our daughter in Chumphae had a hail storm.

35 clicks away we got two drops.

It's got to the stage i will start dry seeding my sunn hemp on Monday and hope rain comes later.

1680228699395.jpg

1680228726251.jpg

I'm envious. Only seen hail here one time. That was about 10 years ago.

TBH, most sugar and cassava plantations have had it for this year. Too late to save these crops. Yields will be so bad come November, that it will not be worth harvesting. The Isaan farmers are in big trouble. Just hope the rain normalizes from April onwards.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Paintings are looking good…

I'll pass that on DJ; thanks.

I didn't put it in the last weekly post, but Mildred bought a small mounted canvas on Saturday in Ban Dung. It will be interesting to see how she gets on with using oils and canvas.

Up to now she has used artists 'board'. Really very tough paper. 200gm.

www.mildredart.com

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

Great read again, as per usual.

Keep an eye out for news of today's Papa Johns Trophy final, Bolton v Plymouth at Wembley. Well over 70,000 tickets sold and neither club is one of the very biggest in League 1.

Up The Whites!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, champers said:

Great read again, as per usual.

Keep an eye out for news of today's Papa Johns Trophy final, Bolton v Plymouth at Wembley. Well over 70,000 tickets sold and neither club is one of the very biggest in League 1.

Up The Whites!!!

Two good teams in London.

Plymouth have let it slip in recent games. Are Bolton faves?

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Two good teams in London.

Plymouth have let it slip in recent games. Are Bolton faves?

4-0 to Bolton; great start to both halves. We were on it today and Plymouth weren't. They looked to be struggling with the pace of the game. 79,000+ on; biggest crowd in Europe this weekend.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Owls in meltdown unfortunately.????

Can't make it out Owl.

After running up a record twenty something games undefeated they went the next four not winning one.

Expectations are still high though. 28k at Hillsborough for Saturday's draw with Lincoln. Unfortunately, the sudden rise of Ipswich make automatic promotion - that once seemed a formality - in doubt. And to make things worse, the other lot - the red and whites striped lot - are on fire, and could easily make it into the EPL.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, champers said:

4-0 to Bolton; great start to both halves. We were on it today and Plymouth weren't. They looked to be struggling with the pace of the game. 79,000+ on; biggest crowd in Europe this weekend.

Agree with you there Champers.

Can't now get into a automatic position? But as long as they cement their form, they have every chance in the play-offs. There are some decent sides in the play-off positions though.

This is a good, exciting season for the third league. Great stuff. Good climax for sure.

Just seen that The Foxes have dumped manager Rogers. Think they have done a wrong-un there.

Not at all sorry for the ex-Chelsea boss though; who also got his marching orders at the w/e. IMO, he shouldn't have left the Seagulls when he did. Would they take him back?? No way.

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Agree with you there Champers.

Can't now get into a automatic position? But as long as they cement their form, they have every chance in the play-offs. There are some decent sides in the play-off positions though.

This is a good, exciting season for the third league. Great stuff. Good climax for sure.

Play-offs are our only realistic route for promotion, Plymouth look to have pole position for going up automatically.

It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that the 2 teams meet again at Wembley in the play-off final at the end of May.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1