Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

1 hour ago, champers said:

Play-offs are our only realistic route for promotion, Plymouth look to have pole position for going up automatically.

It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that the 2 teams meet again at Wembley in the play-off final at the end of May.

This division has some 'big' clubs in it, and they are contesting promotion.

Wednesday, Ipswich, Derby, Bolton, Barnsley have all been Top Flight clubs recently, and not that long ago Ipswich and Derby were English Champions.

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

This division has some 'big' clubs in it, and they are contesting promotion.

Wednesday, Ipswich, Derby, Bolton, Barnsley have all been Top Flight clubs recently, and not that long ago Ipswich and Derby were English Champions.

Plymouth sold 40,000 tickets for yesterday's game so I think they have big club ambitions. They are a bit hamstrung by their relatively small stadium. They sellout all their home game tickets but that is only about 15 or 16 thousand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Can't make it out Owl.

After running up a record twenty something games undefeated they went the next four not winning one.

Expectations are still high though. 28k at Hillsborough for Saturday's draw with Lincoln. Unfortunately, the sudden rise of Ipswich make automatic promotion - that once seemed a formality - in doubt. And to make things worse, the other lot - the red and whites striped lot - are on fire, and could easily make it into the EPL.

Just a lack of quality available now we're losing players to injury, it's that simple. As far as the unmentionables go, I look forward to see their batterings next season.????

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 6:44 AM, owl sees all said:

She wants to finish with me. Sell the farm and I must go away.

She can't be serious Owl surely. Problem with this type of dissent is it can progress and grow arms and legs if left to fester and go unchecked. Counselling Owl? Fancy it?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sotonowl said:

She can't be serious Owl surely. Problem with this type of dissent is it can progress and grow arms and legs if left to fester and go unchecked. Counselling Owl? Fancy it?

She definitely needs it Owl.

Lots of things going on. Daughter wants to ho to Sth Korea; and aint got any dosh. Mother sick - and ordinarily that would bring the family closer - but she has to have 24/7 caring. Who is doing the caring? Some conflict there.

Also, I think getting the pick-up through the MoT, and taxed, without consulting her, was like a slap in the face with a wet nin to her. What that means in effect, is that the pick-up is good to go, for another 12 months. She had her heart set on a new car; a leccy one even.

Perhaps it's me that needs the Counselling Owl. The wife just wants her own way. And a few million baht to waste on hand-bags would do nicely.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Just a lack of quality available now we're losing players to injury, it's that simple. As far as the unmentionables go, I look forward to see their batterings next season.????

I think it would be a shock if they let automatic slip now. Ipswich are on fire though, and the game at Wembley for Plymouth, must have been a big distraction for them; in their push for the Championship.

Even f they are a little short on quality, they should have seen off Lincoln and Forest Green

Just as a side-note, who gets the better of the Sheffield derby, when they do meet? Just looked it up; met 131 times, with United winning 46 games and Wednesday winning 42. So very close.

39 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

My sil planned to go work in S Korea late last year, but a lot of reports of Thais being refused entry so she had a rethink.

Had flight and hotel booking etc for a “ holiday “ ( said she wouldn’t return ) to Taiwan on January 21st. We took her to the airport on the 20th to meet someone returning from there to get the rundown, after that she went to stay with a “ friend “ in BKK, still there .

Her suitcase and worldly goods still at our house and her husband and kids still at their house.

I suggested the overseas trip was just an excuse to leave the husband and kids but “ no, no , waiting for situation in Taiwan to improve !! “

Like you Owl, I sometimes think I am only being told half the story … “ up to them “.

I agree with you about 'half the story'. I've had the 'wool' pulled over my eyes so many times that I've gone 'anti' to anything that is suggested; even if it's quite legitimate.

The last episode, where the wife paid off the loan business, and didn't tell me, was the final straw. Although only a small straw in the grand order of things, it got me hackles up. But! Now I'm thinking to buy the pick-up from the wife. If the worst comes along; I'll be legally entitled to just drive away.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, GarryP said:

I understand where you are coming from. I was married for 27 years to my first Thai wife, but it was me who was unhappy with how things were going rather than the wife complaining about everything, but I just couldn't up and leave so just stuck it out. Then our daughter died (she had severe cerebral palsy), so no longer any reason to stay in the unhappy relationship as my son was in his early twenties then and could look after himself. But I still stuck it out as my wife went into depression at the loss of our daughter and I just couldn't leave her like that (living hell for me though). Finally she came out of depression after about 2 years, only to be diagnosed with cancer and die 2 years after that. So I did finally get my freedom and like you I am now a farang in Isaan, but what a journey to get here. 

Having said that, I did not have the wool pulled over my eyes that often as I do speak the lingo. 

A sad story indeed.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 3:53 PM, owl sees all said:

Play-offs are our only realistic route for promotion, Plymouth look to have pole position for going up automatically.

Not that I agree with them, (My idea is better), but getting into the play-offs gives just a 1 in 4 chance of promotion.

I think you are right about the same two clubs meeting at Wembley to decide who goes up. I think Ipswich are on an unstoppable roll at the mo. It could be The Owls, but I think it will be Plymouth who miss automatic, and drop into the play-offs.

I'll be sorry to see The Cherries go down. They might never get back to EPL.

What manager is next for the chop? The Irons have a tough one tonight. Could be Moysee!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 7:09 AM, owl sees all said:

Not that I agree with them, (My idea is better), but getting into the play-offs gives just a 1 in 4 chance of promotion.

I think you are right about the same two clubs meeting at Wembley to decide who goes up. I think Ipswich are on an unstoppable roll at the mo. It could be The Owls, but I think it will be Plymouth who miss automatic, and drop into the play-offs.

I'll be sorry to see The Cherries go down. They might never get back to EPL.

What manager is next for the chop? The Irons have a tough one tonight. Could be Moysee!

Yeah, that stadium was emptying pretty quickly last night and Twitter's been full of disgruntled hammers fans today.

Easter is here now, we'll know a lot more after the break.

• Like 1

@owl sees all

Try looking at the drainage pipe of your washing machine, if it is like ours and the mils ( a twin tub type ) occasionally some thread or fluff will go through and stop the spring loaded plunger from closing properly and the water drains away.

The drainage pipe should be held on with a fancy clip and easily removed, stick your finger in there you might be able to reach the blockage, the mil’s was a safety pin one time !!

If not, the back panel can be removed, a couple of screws and some plastic clips , you can then pull on the cord which lifts the plunger and by pulling it further than the drain setting on the knob will probably lift the plunger up more and the blockage will clear itself.

If of course you don’t have a twin tub type have a look round the back, the problem will be similar I’m sure.

• Like 1

The weather here ( Ayutthaya ) has been unbearable this week, reaching 40 degrees . Weather forecast called for thunderstorms Friday, yesterday and today but up till now….. nothing !!

Don’t remember the last time it rained .

Mrs D is all worried because people have been dropping down with the heat, a couple of deaths I think, and I have a diy project on the go !!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

@owl sees all

Try looking at the drainage pipe of your washing machine, if it is like ours and the mils ( a twin tub type ) occasionally some thread or fluff will go through and stop the spring loaded plunger from closing properly and the water drains away.

The drainage pipe should be held on with a fancy clip and easily removed, stick your finger in there you might be able to reach the blockage, the mil’s was a safety pin one time !!

If not, the back panel can be removed, a couple of screws and some plastic clips , you can then pull on the cord which lifts the plunger and by pulling it further than the drain setting on the knob will probably lift the plunger up more and the blockage will clear itself.

If of course you don’t have a twin tub type have a look round the back, the problem will be similar I’m sure.

There is a decent repair place in Ban Dung. Took the machine there yesterday (Sunday). It's on the 2096; just out of town.

After reading your post Andy, I think I should have investigated more. Never mind. Done now. Expect a bill of 1000 baht or so.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2019 at 12:17 PM, owl sees all said:

Just came in from paying respects to a deceased lady; just 4 huts away. She died yesterday aged 97. The household was very generous with the food and drink as per usual. Served all sorts of dishes. I was happy with the pla nin. Although one of the larger ones looked familiar.  Didn't participate with the alcohol as I've got to drive to Nong Khai later. Wife is still there though; scurrying about.

I've been considering giving some of my Mekong catfish to the local temple. They have grown well; in fact very well. The biggest two are over 1.4 metres long and all over one metre. I have 19, and they dominate the other fish at feeding time. If I could get some muscle on the job, for the catching, I reckon I could donate 9. 

I did have some feeding posts, that just needed old fruit and veg' to get maggots for free. I'm thinking of putting in a few to cut down on the cost of feed. When I do eventually stock with fingerlings, I'll put the automated feeding stations in all ponds.

The big mekongs are in pond #5 (from the left).

ponds01.jpg

The lady next to us didn't plant rice this year. She planted rosella. I knew it as sorrel in the Caribbean. Very nice drink. She is harvesting at the moment and is getting 100 baht a kilo for dry. Interesting!

• Like 1

Just now, Seeall said:

kra-jeab กระเจี๊ยบ  is it this stuff?  I love it, spent days searching...  ordered through some girl some from a farm, hope it turns up. Please supply contact for the farmer, I buy all the time, thanks...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Songram is soon with us. Water everywhere then. What a waste?!

Agree 100%… if it’s a must to have water fights (kinda) do it one day and done with it. Water is too precious to be wasted 

• Like 1

Nice if the wife is being a bit more easy going but if you want to stop to take a picture then, unless there is a good reason, stop and take a picture. As a third party it can seem that she may be bit by bit taking control so time to wrest some power back. If safe to do so. 

Girlfriend said it has been super hot. Wet season not far away hopefully.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I borrowed this from the Worst Jokes section. It seems appropriate.

image.png.d3a07ecf2b43a400f8430e0e58e12f3d.png

Good luck Owl.

In other words; whatever some men say or do, they are in for it.

I am aware that there is a good reason for women often saying bad things to us. Basically it goes back to the old days when we would whack a nice bit if stuff over the head, and drag them off to our cave. Later, when she woke up with a head-ache, she would complain that there was no paracetamol. Would never hear the end of it. Things just the same now.

• Like 1