Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

I've told my wife that if she starts getting all nutty when she hits menopause, she's going on hormone replacement therapy. She actually agrees with me on this, but will probably change her mind on that when the time comes.  Fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bannork said:

Well, there we go Owl. The driest six months in my memory, then Songkran with three days of stifling heat and the first water splashing for four years.

Great to see the youngsters having fun again, imo.

And then, as if to say to the grumpy farangs complaining about Thais wasting water in a time of drought, the heavens open up, as if on cue for the end of Songkran, 7.00 pm!

That is some great news Bannork !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bannork said:

Well, there we go Owl. The driest six months in my memory, then Songkran with three days of stifling heat and the first water splashing for four years.

Great to see the youngsters having fun again, imo.

And then, as if to say to the grumpy farangs complaining about Thais wasting water in a time of drought, the heavens open up, as if on cue for the end of Songkran, 7.00 pm!

We got about 2/3mm last night. Not so much, but have to start somewhere. Anything better than -  as you rightly say - the driest 6 months in memory.

According to the historical data from 1952 to 2021, April should have 10mm of rain. So still a lot more to come; hopefully.

And according to 'accuweather', Udon Thani was Thailand's hottest province last week.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 3:08 AM, owl sees all said:

Very kind words HP.

That BinL thread was a cracker alright. Many TV (then) members telling truths about their lives in Thailand.

Mrs Owl has a problem; that's for sure. Many problems it seems. The biggest one is me. "What am I doing that you don't like teerak?" "I fed up with you. Take picture all the time. People in village hate you. I am shy people. Want to finish. Sell farm. You must go away from me."

Don't want to give the impression that life in the village is purgatory. No. Far from it. I love my life here. And perhaps Mrs Owl knowing that, is part of the problem. Don't want farang Owl to be happy. Especially when he is not coming over with the dosh, that a farang wife expects. Ah yes! Money! No! Barking up the wrong tree there perhaps?. Mrs Owl thinking about money? She's not like that???? Have to face the facts of life; it's all my doing. I'm bad!

The enlightened monk she went to see t'other morning, had a profound effect on the wife; for a day or so. No envy. No greed. No material wants. Then it drifted back to normality.

Great life here in Thailand.

it sounds like the problems with your wife come from two sources, which may be connected;

A. expectations. differing expectations and lack of understanding/appreciation/acceptance of the other's expectations,

B. lack of effective communication. with seeming limited ability in each other's language, clear and effective communication must be difficult/impossible; leading to ineffective problem resolution, and contributing to point A - catch 22?

if you're genuinely happy with the situation and your life, fine, but if you're not, get out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I'd rather go to Nth Korea if I was ever inclined to travel again. I like the way those army ladies all march in step.

Not to mention the NK female traffic cops, now they are a site to behold. 

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=north+korean+traffic+ladies&t=osx&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgEvrFg4dnkM

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Indeed.

Going weak at the knees.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Having a few days of village life myself right now, while it is not exactly Isaan ( rural Nakhon Sawan ) it is as close as I get to being the only farang in the village.

Paying respects to the mil with the bil’s Buddha collection ( 30 ) getting an airing .

A01B3CF3-BADC-4C49-8EEA-433A3BBE07C5.thumb.jpeg.a4cac15e339fe181bd627d032bf88de7.jpeg

Then today off to the local Wat to splash a little water on the Buddha statue and into the hands of the resident monks.

Then all hell broke loose, at this point I had admitted defeat and accepted being the main target of the local songkranners .

50FEF026-F4A5-4736-8921-C3521240A96B.thumb.jpeg.cdb8190c5fc1449566768e12274c22f8.jpeg

Looks like a great time was had by all.

Hope the water didn't get into the solar panel electrics.

Good luck tonight Andy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rickudon said:

Been a while since i looked at the thread. Mainly because once my daughters passport arrived the family trip to the UK went into full swing - and the problems. Tickets were expensive and some flights had already been fully booked, business class only! So had to book the tickets early, best deal was Emirates. But .... the wife had given a different date to the visa agency (i told her we had to go earlier). Her visa arrived - not valid until 22nd April. <deleted>. Had to change tickets, another 300 GBP down the drain. Also, real reason for wife's sudden enthusiasm, it is because her sister in the UK is getting married. More expense, lots of new clothes, hotel bookings, and the 2 weeks with my UK kids now shrinks to one. I just have that feeling that it will all go terribly wrong, and the cost has really depleted my savings.

Finally (I think) everything is in order. Just wish we could have gone for more than 20 days. Now busy trying to get farm tidy etc. before leaving. The brutal weather is not helping. No rain since November, and average temperature this month has been about 39 C. , half the days over 40 C. Fortunately fish ponds not dry yet, as deeper since dug out 5 years ago, but lowest yet. The pet fish in bowls at the house struggling, M-in-L steals water from them to water her veg, do not hold much hope for their survival in this heat once we leave. Goldfish will probably end up in the plaa raa. But cannot wait to get out from this heat. Still 34 C at 11 p.m. outdoors.

Driest and hottest year so far in my experience - didn't even get my jacket out once in the 'winter'. Hope Owl gets some rain for his ponds. Last day tomorrow, then we are off.

Jeez! What a saga!

Seven years ago I had a return to the UK for 227 squids. Who would have thought things could change so quickly! Something's amiss with these air fairs. Some interesting explanations on the www.

I m keeping my eye on the ponds. They are OK until the end of the month. Then - if no substantial rain - it will be decision time. What ponds to sacrifice to save just one or two.

Have a good trip Rick. See anything interesting in the UK; take a pic or two.

8 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Anyway, have a great holiday. With any luck it will piss down here and your ponds will be full when you get home.

Looked a the long forecast yesterday. No rain until at least next month. Next month (May) is the official (according to records) start of the wet season. We'll keep em crossed.

Ditto Rick having a great holiday.

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Planes hurt right now.

Pre Covid I could get to Phuket and back to Darwin for Aud$240 pp, now looking at $1200+.

Things have changed all right. Is someone making a killing on the back of C-19? Wouldn't surprise me. Seems that a lot of big companies are doing OK; while smaller ones have gone to the wall.

Is that giant water holder still OK HP?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Planes hurt right now.

Pre Covid I could get to Phuket and back to Darwin for Aud$240 pp, now looking at $1200+.

From Melbourne still get good deals if you are happy to cop Jetstar.  Sales do make a big difference so could sign up to the newsletter.  

In May it's $450 return like the good old days but last flight in August had delays of 3 hours there and 6 hours back so may be a false economy. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Is that giant water holder still OK HP?

Yep, we had what was probably our last rainfall on saturday and shes topped up nicely.

But the pump from the crappy bore needs to looked at as its not working, the bore will only get us to maybe August leaving a couple of long hot months to use some of our drinking water to keep the garden alive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

From Melbourne still get good deals if you are happy to cop Jetstar.  Sales do make a big difference so could sign up to the newsletter.  

In May it's $450 return like the good old days but last flight in August had delays of 3 hours there and 6 hours back so may be a false economy. 

Cheers FIATOC, ????

I had to do a mercy flight to Melbourne on sunday night on JetFail, and returned on tuesday night. The 9:05 pm became 10:20 which became 12:10 or something... Grrr.

And to top it off they seem to have found a way to squeeze an extra coupe of rows into the plane, remember the brace position...? Not a hope in hell to actually perform it now !!

And the cheapest seats on the Darwin/Melbourne route start @$290

My biggest problem is that JetFail canned the Darwin/Singapore route post covid.

Silk Air are still flying it, but the bottom line is there is not enough seats and/or competition for the bums that need them seats...

Nothing I like more than flying 4hrs in the wrong direction to sit for 12hrs before spending another 6hrs to get where I wanted to be in the first place ! ????

IMG_1500.png

Edited by HighPriority
Add pic
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, bannork said:

Another nice drop of rain, Owl.

Shame the electricity has gone off but that's par for the start of the rains.

Expect it to come on about 2.00 am 

Yup!

Had more noise and wind than rain though. Small hail-stones at one point.

As with you Bannork; leccy off til early hours.

• Like 1