Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Very nice words HP.

Phon Phisai I know it quite well. Very nice area indeed. The river is not too wide there so the water absolutely tonks through.

Well, I am not sure of 'peace and calm', but at least I've not had a cat thrown at me for some time. But! Have to take it in my stride. A lot of the time humour sees me through. The wife was so angry with me that she was going to get young boys to kill me as I slept. "Young boys". I said; "send young girls and let me die happy."

The wife didn't have a happy childhood. Her parents sold her a few times, when she was very young; but she kept being brought back. She left school at 12 (everyone did, unless going onto higher education). And her older brothers would beat her when she wouldn't bring in the buffaloes during thunderstorms.

Dear, dear, dear. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else though. Love Isaan.

Man, the river flowing there is awesome !!

Before I saw it I had dreams of swimming it... until I saw how wide and strong it flowed ! ????

My wife also deserted school at a similar age so not well schooled but certainly no buffalo... except on occasion... ????

We've met an Older thai lady who is our Neighbour here in outer Darwin, she told us of being sold as a child and not actually knowing her birthday and such, very sad but she keeps going on growing and selling eggplant and chilies at the local markets.

Issan is beautiful in its way, I’d prefer coast personally but that’s all a long way off...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

You’re memory’s good Owl, must have been before my time. ????

1986 was a decent season when the club attained a third spot, but for many supporters the biggie was 1999. Winning the Intertoto Cup (beating Metz) and finishing fifth in the EPL. So two golden years. And, I was there when we pummeled Leeds 7-0 at the Boleyn a few years ago.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

1986 was a decent season when the club attained a third spot, but for many supporters the biggie was 1999. Winning the Intertoto Cup (beating Metz) and finishing fifth in the EPL. So two golden years. And, I was there when we pummeled Leeds 7-0 at the Boleyn a few years ago.

Apologies for the sad emoji on the quoted post Owl but i was sad to see you using the font again, my failing eyesight means I have to zoom in to read .

If that humiliation wasn’t enough i then had to read about my team having a bad day ( ???? ) a few years ago !!, i was only 5 at the time so thankful I don’t remember the “ bad day “.

disgruntled Leeds fan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Owl, I thought that the last time you used that font you decided that you needed it to be 1-2 points larger in future...?

if we do not learn from our past we are doomed to repeat our mistakes... ????????

You and Andy are quite right. No more 'comic' fonts. Even though it is my favourite.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If that humiliation wasn’t enough i then had to read about my team having a bad day ( ???? ) a few years ago !!, i was only 5 at the time so thankful I don’t remember the “ bad day “.

Leeds were a force to be reckoned with during those times. But when the Irons were on their game they could beat anyone. Shame they were not 'on there game' more often. Same even now.

The fixture before the Boleyn game, Leeds had gone to Highbury and come away with an easy 1-3 win.

I've heard - perhaps you could verify Andy - that Bremner was very angry in the dressing room, after the game, and threatened a few players for not busting their gut enough.

Later I began to appreciate Leeds, when I had a lovely girlfriend who lived near the ground.

I must say that The Irons are not my number one team. My team is 'deleted'; too embarrassed to say. Although they were a top flight club in the early 1960s.

Edited by owl sees all

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Leeds were a force to be reckoned with during those times. But when the Irons were on their game they could beat anyone. Shame they were not 'on there game' more often. Same even now.

The fixture before the Boleyn game, Leeds had gone to Highbury and come away with an easy 1-3 win.

I've heard - perhaps you could verify Andy - that Bremner was very angry in the dressing room, after the game, and threatened a few players for not busting their gut enough.

Later I began to appreciate Leeds, when I had a lovely girlfriend who lived near the ground.

I must say that The Irons are not my number one team. My team is 'deleted'; too embarrassed to say. Although they were a top flight club in the early 1960s.

My “ Peacocks “ days were limited from ‘72 to’85 so although I caught the back end of the glory days I also caught the start of the decline from which they have never recovered ????.

Anyhoo, sorry to go off topic, back to Isaan ????

• Like 1

Assurancetourix, I’m sorry to hear.

My wife’s father was diagnosed with terminal cancer a week after she arrived here in Australia last year, she returned to nurse him for his final 3 weeks... ????

So quick ! ????

the photos and video she sent me of the village cremation was fascinating, slightly more earthy than an Aussie cremation...

you guys all keep a low profile over there, and enjoy the rain ???????? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Opened the bedroom cupboard, her side, when I got back and out fell 27 designer hand bags. Just can't have enough hand bags!

Oh my lord!

Yep...Ody starts having flashbacks..T-PTSD..you know.????

Best of luck with the eucalypts.My friend at Det Udom had lined his farm with them and they looked splendid.

• Like 1