Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Owl log; 19-11-2019

The music has finally stopped and replaced by chanting monks.

The wife came home about 2 in the morning. She said she'd been chanting, eating, and praying, but I reckon she was playing cards and drinking. The only praying she did was for a good hand.

Saw the daughter off to school this morning. As Mrs Owl couldn't get up, I had to make her breakfast. Put some sausages in the microwave and gave her a chocolate milk drink. Popped a tube of pringles into her school bag for later.

I'm hopeless in the kitchen. probably because I've been spoilt by so many wonderful women in the past

Misses still sleeping (9 am). 

Going outside shortly to set the outside fire and brew up my reishi mushrooms.

I'll be off to the farm later to feed the fish, and generally potter about. I'm really bothered about the durian tree. It's lost all of it's leaves and doesn't look healthy.

A little bit annoyed with myself for forgetting to buy the potting mix for the little avocado trees. About 5 months ago I set up 4 with the tooth-pick method. Two deteriorated quickly and the other two did nothing for three months. I was thinking it was a complete failure but suddenly they sprang into life. I'll take a couple of pics later.

Chanting stopped and music started up again.

It must be nice seeing all .....

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My wife didn't want to get divorced, but even in her mind she must have understood it was broken and would never be OK again. I think she just wanted it over, all the arguing, the shouting, the throwing things around, the foul language. She didn't even want a pay off, which was lucky for me, but she probably thought I was broke anyway.

I used to say to her that I didn't recognise her as the sweet girl I married, and she wasn't, but thinking about it after, at the end I was pretty different myself. 

Sad really, two people who loved each other and were happy at the start slowly becoming alienated to the point they drive each other crazy and can't live together anymore. After all, no one would get married if they knew it would end badly.

Love, IMO, is like a flower. It doesn't last, but it can be preserved, or it can rot. 

Mate, had three of them back home but the local one is doing well. I hope it lasts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log 19-11-2019

It's now just three in the afternoon and the wife has arisen from her deep slumber. She doesn't want to go to the farm today, too tired. Too late for me as well now, as I could easily spend a couple of hours pottering about and miss Mildred coming home from school. 

Not to worry; I've done bit of snapping and posted them here.

++++++++

Firstly, the two avacado trees that I'm growing. They are very 'leggy', but I'll harden them off some more before potting. Probably a couple more weeks.

169191519_avacado01.thumb.JPG.51b1fa527ad5b23dd83b15eeeb1836fa.JPG

++++++++

The reishi is finished and will give me three litres of wine to consume for the next few days, when I've mixed it with the Lao khow of course. It's very strong this time as I put fresh mushroom in for this boil.

104861816_reishiboiling.thumb.JPG.6f65369e4368f0bd9c38b0626491a037.JPG619395493_reishidone.thumb.JPG.70e9c2a514b1ec298b95cec3d7e6425f.JPG

And what a lovely brown brew it is too.

++++++++

The rosella: getting to learn more and more about the rosella system. We have 30 rai spare, and at the moment unsure what to grow.

Pic #1 Preparing the flower by removing the seed pod.

Pic #2 Drying the rosella (that's my shadow;  not some daytime peelaw). 

Pic #3 Bagged up.

Pic #4 Drying the seed pods.

1096828279_rosellaprepare.thumb.JPG.eb53977ba16f56f0c6531fc99be6ad5e.JPG

275786244_roselladrying.thumb.JPG.22049150f173c2926b1267ecf4db4762.JPG

2067145473_rosellabagged.thumb.JPG.25c47228629d7e73ae6310165e8ce82d.JPG

1080886137_rosellaseedpodsdrying.thumb.JPG.eef5d4f8d81f0d692ed1bb158e9f1301.JPG

The lowdown on the rosella is as follows. The lady reckons on harvesting 300 kilos from her 4 rai. At 100 baht a kilo. Easier to grow than rice but post-harvest there are many days ahead; de-podding, drying and bagging up. Very interesting this, especially if this drought cycle continues for more seasons. A lot of the Ozzies out there would know about rosella already.

The rice harvest has been awful. 50% down for many and and some such as us simply wiped out. Must give rosella some serious thought.

++++++++

The music has stopped. Everything packed away, and it's quiet again. Until the next birth, death, jump the broom (sorry wrong part of the world) or decent lottery win.

That's it for today guys. 

Great info. I married a farm girl who loves everything to do growing thing, so will need to talk to her about what you are doing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Outbackoz said:

Thanks for for the insight of life as you perceive it. Also had problems propagating Avo's from seed (normally done through tissue culture in Aust) took a while to get it right with immature plants post sprouting. Had brought some Shepherd Avo's back from oz and used a similar method for propagation with about a 30% success rate.   Growth was a little slower than expected but this one about 18 months old now 

Do not know what the wife has done but her avocado grown from seed, and planted are over a metre high in 1 year (sorry no recent pics). whether we get fruit is another matter.

• Like 2