Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

I’m fairly sure Mrs HP tossed a little velvet pouch I had.

It held a couple of “wedding rings” that Mrs HP brought for me at some markets and temples… you know the type “Velly good, almost like gold farang”

Next morning the corrosion had already started… 🙄🤣

The pouch also held some bits of gold colored chain that I found whilst riding my bike in Oz, it seemed to have a bit of weight so I kept it and it also held my wedding ring from my first marriage, a fairly chunky white gold ring that cost me 800/1000 $Aud back in 1992… Grrr.

• Like 1

My apologies to you all for the length of time it has taken me to reply, but I am grateful for the answers put forward. Our smaller pond which has the grass problem is about two and a half meters deep and normally dries out by about April. I'll dust it with lime and see what happens in July/August. There's a lot of wild fish in it at the moment but we'll hand pick them for the bbq. The big pond was about four meters deep but the sides have gradually eroded but this retains water ( and fish ) all year round. No grass problem in this one. I need to get around to building my koi pond and move the dozen or so that have grown in this pond along with some huge pla rat ( giant gourami ) which we bought for a fish tank. From about four inches long some five years ago, they are now about two feet in length. We've also removed the couple of mekong catfish which had grown into ginormous monsters:- Hmmm, tried to insert pics but no go......yet

Busy weekend Mr Owl ?

Farang with idle hands do the devils work I’m told. 
🤣

can someone enlighten me as to this pic ?

It came across fb on the Ban Dung Update page the other day. 
The fb auto translate often doesn’t work on this page, I suspect they may be writing in Lao language ?

Mr Owl had mentioned a fishing park, which conjured images of hoards of Thai and Farang with bait casters, fly rods and maybe hand lines not this rabble with Thai nets !

It looks like a total circus down there ! 🤣

IMG_1382.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

Busy weekend Mr Owl ?

🤣

The fb auto translate often doesn’t work on this page, I suspect they may be writing in Lao language ?

Mr Owl had mentioned a fishing park, which conjured images of hoards of Thai and Farang with bait casters, fly rods and maybe hand lines not this rabble with Thai nets !

IMG_1382.jpeg

On a much smaller scale, this is what happened when my sister-in-law decided to fill in one of her ponds and invited the whole village (only about 12 houses) to take out the fish for free. Maybe that's what's happening here.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

On a much smaller scale, this is what happened when my sister-in-law decided to fill in one of her ponds and invited the whole village (only about 12 houses) to take out the fish for free. Maybe that's what's happening here.

Exactly my thoughts.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, finnomick1 said:

My apologies to you all for the length of time it has taken me to reply, but I am grateful for the answers put forward. Our smaller pond which has the grass problem is about two and a half meters deep and normally dries out by about April.

Finnomick,

The grass problem is because the pond dries out. My old pond (now dugout deeper) used to have this problem if the bottom dried out for more than a month, and new grass would grow. If a wet year and didn't dry out, not much new grass. Slaked lime (calcium Hydroxide) (much harder to get than ordinary CaCo3 lime) might burn the grass enough to prevent regrowth. Once it starts to rain again it will gradually suck up CO2 and become relatively harmless.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

An interesting battle going on for 2nd place in the Championship at the moment, Leeds briefly hit 2nd spot but down to 3rd again and Ipswich have a game in hand so could well go back to 4th.

I still have a lot of Leeds fans friends back home who are enjoying the action, if they were honest I think they would admit seeing them play well in the Championship is more rewarding than seeing them struggle in the Premier, but they would never admit that !!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Interesting.

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

An interesting battle going on for 2nd place in the Championship at the moment, Leeds briefly hit 2nd spot but down to 3rd again and Ipswich have a game in hand so could well go back to 4th.

I still have a lot of Leeds fans friends back home who are enjoying the action, if they were honest I think they would admit seeing them play well in the Championship is more rewarding than seeing them struggle in the Premier, but they would never admit that !!

I did say on the thread that I thought all three relegated would return. In my memory they were the best three teams to go down since 3 up, 3 down started.

In the Asian Cup, Thailand are out. Sitting pretty at half way after the group games. They lost to Uzbekistan 2-1 in the first knockout. Never scored enough goals. Only 3 in their 4 matches.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I did say on the thread that I thought all three relegated would return. In my memory they were the best three teams to go down since 3 up, 3 down started.

In the Asian Cup, Thailand are out. Sitting pretty at half way after the group games. They lost to Uzbekistan 2-1 in the first knockout. Never scored enough goals. Only 3 in their 4 matches.

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

It's Monday the 5th of February. And this is the weekly Owl Log.

A busy week end. Went to the Number 4 Market yesterday and didn't get back home until 4ish. We went earlier than usual as Mildred wanted to meet up with some friends, so we left at 9-30. Probably because we were there early, it was much busier than a couple of hours later, when we would normally arrive.

Couldn't get our normal parking spot outside Kimberly's old gaff, so had to park outside Kubota, across the road. The big building, next to the church, had progressed a lot. It will be interesting to see what it is all for.

marketparking.png.ad217a59220f6095249ee620109dfe27.png

We had ordered 200 pinkies, and of course, couldn't resist getting a couple of lovely kois.

market01.png.af7806eda9b5b04a7559beaec68154eb.png

market00.png.9d74010ed05cdfb0b148fca4b3183182.png

This is one fantastic market. You could walk in completely naked, and as long as you have 235 baht, would come out .looking like a 'big cheese'. Togged out in designer brands and Chinese specials. It's rumoured that some ladies do that. But they get there early doors to get the best clobber.

It's not just clothes. It's plants, trees, tools, footwear (I bought a new pair of sandals for 50 baht), food and pets.

market0.png.6cd9680ec6a497b29413d5694cdd1ce6.png

market03.png.26fea5f0ca1cc134be15f433b8c9b54b.png

market02.png.67d1ef768854f7c958db2c2db2a276fd.png

market05.png.d1465b1379ecd249343c5e86a537c912.png

Hedgehogs for the garden.

market06.png.29ec7329d73385108fb03ad75a0e690a.png

And of course smart phones. Top of the range items. The most expensive at 1,950 baht, but most less than a grand.

market04.png.746ba02eb91f1662b15b995400a0a617.png

Then it was off to Big C, for the weekly shop. And then onto farm to let the fishes go.

letfishgo.png.b882bb6915d85f9914f9bbce90118208.png

letfishgoo.png.81506fb4872ac4ea5a2a796886e9cf3c.png

Solar panels were delivered in the week. Popped them into the spare bedroom.

panelsinbed.png.c65301861d2aaec221a2d0c3a9c32597.png

Finished the preparation work at the farm.

finishedbase00.png.5301892c452f7c57ce61109a5ecb7094.png

finishedbase01.png.ebaac7fb0bc67d572aba3cc73d5a2cff.png

finishedbase02.png.ec74b9706a1a4d1ff767a55816dbba02.png

finishedbase.png.49d00537ca5d407f515b3a3030ac9f16.png

On Saturday me and Mildred fixed up the wiring for the pump and the 'low/no water' sensor.

fixwires0.png.0b160b66dab7556f8c95576c2e5690d6.png

Got to grips with me new soldering kit.

fixwires00.png.caa8038e5dac4e66cf31be693a04760c.png

Slid on the heat-shrink tubes.

fixwires000.png.3317f91e4ad48ded5f3846c0ad75bfb5.png

Put on some leccy tape and protected the joint.

fixwires0000.png.a86c331ad08a27341e3be509fecd601e.png

All done.

The big building in Ban Dung is coming along nicely.

bignewbuildd.png.159cb355483e161739922cb9fb6803d4.png

bignewbuild.png.1bfc8218eb8c060a348fac2325ac6ed0.png

Next door. The house that time forgot!

sadhouse.png.4fb776e82ae6683e4a74018f766ebed4.png

When the dwelling has reached its sell-by date; it has to go. This one just outside the village being knocked down. Don't seem to be much progress since last week; but there is just one demolition  lady with a hammer!.

demolishhouse.png.a02fa9c27b639fa9792727429da4c8b3.png

Called into the 7-11 (northern end). Some glorious fishes outside the coffee shop.

711fish.png.9bd7046d292a8cafab211c79f1382151.png

Sugar cutting on the go everywhere. But less this year than I have seen since arriving in Isaan.

cutsugar.png.7c332090cf6937987b4ea2a404309292.png

An unusual build in one of Ban Dung's back streets. No steps leading up. Gonna be nice when it's finished.

strangebuild.png.c3d0c70e3b851eab45116f8c2a0ea2dc.png

A new cat found a home at Grandma's. Robert just wants to say 'hello'.

newcat.png.391e1c748d9b9a6feee027ba07d34297.png

Solar panel mountings

solarfixings.png.daccf57513546f231585a28797704ed2.png

solarfixingss.png.8a91baf5eb836d8c2bafe980627e7ba8.png

Couldn't get them at the market or in town. Gonna make my own.

So nice to be here. Water is low in number 5 pond.

farmclouds.png.64e112ae5fd22fd8203a5f41182dc8b9.png

++++

Goals all over the place in the EPL. 8 at Toon. 6 at The Bridge, and 5 at both Brighton and Sheffield. Top 3 in the Championship are the three that were relegated last season. Orient up to 9th.

Thumb still not good. After I did the whipping on Saturday, it ached like I'd just whacked it with a hammer. But has eased today.

Found a pair of shorts, hidden away. It has 8 pockets. Not seen that many before. Although one is inside another.

I was getting ready to post this morning. Then I was informed that I had to run a blood sample to Ban Dung hospital. A lot a hanging about there. I did get the last three things I needed for next Sunday's solar assembly at the farm though. Just need to get the team together for the action day.

Conflicts all over the place in the Middle East. Africa too. Quiet in South East Asia for the time being. Although Burma still has a conflict.

The snails came out of their hibernation last week. Gonna let them go later today.

Gonna make a start on the solar panel mountings later. Mrs Owl is asleep. Dare not wake her up with some banging. Would definitely send her on the whack.

Mildred has camping in the forest for three days this week; 8th, 9th, and 10th. She says she wants to go. I would say 'no', if push comes to shove. Best if I go to the farm for those days.

Had a little rain a week ago. Just about enough to stop a game of cricket. Not seen a rain-cloud since.

Got Mildred to listen to 'Riders on the storm'. One of my all-time favourites out of the USA. Think she enjoyed it.

Another death in the village. A guy in his 50s. Don't know anything more yet.

Not one 'pop up add' has sploshed across the workspace for this post. Things are looking up.

Late posting. Yesterday wiped out, and had to run to Ban Dung with just 10 minutes notice this morning. Better late than never!

Only think left to say; take care out there.

But our question is WHERE IS OSCAR ???? NEVER SEEN HIM FOR MONTHS DONT TELL HE'S ---- NO LIES PLEASE

1 hour ago, pickettywitch said:

But our question is WHERE IS OSCAR ???? NEVER SEEN HIM FOR MONTHS DONT TELL HE'S ---- NO LIES PLEASE

IIRC Oscar is the shy one. Last mention was 6 November 2023 (I did a search of the topic) when he had a scrap with the cat, Poo. I hope all is okay.

• Like 1

IIRC Oscar is the shy one. Last mention was 6 November 2023 (I did a search of the topic) when he had a scrap with the cat, Poo. I hope all is okay.

Yes C L i missed that! but Oscar a worry been nothing about him only Robert which worries us 🙏

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

It's not just clothes. It's plants, trees, tools, footwear (I bought a new pair of sandals for 50 baht), food and pets.

Pics or it didn't happen.  :cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Robert is the one that gets about. Comes to the farm with me every day. Oscar was not so keen on the farm.

Oscar was the enforcer. Now he is calm.

16 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I think the top two will be Foxes and Saints. Play-offs are gonna be very interesting.

There are some very decent crowds attending the Championship games. Make you right Andy about there being competitive in a lower league.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pickettywitch said:

Yes C L i missed that! but Oscar a worry been nothing about him only Robert which worries us 🙏

Have you moved PW? Left wonderful Isaan, and moved to cold, grimy Toon country?

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, rhodie said:

''It's not just clothes. It's plants, trees, tools, footwear (I bought a new pair of sandals for 50 baht), food and pets. ''

11 hours ago, rhodie said:

Quite right Mr rhodie. Should have backed up such a  profound statement with an irrefutable fact. So here goes.

newshoes.png.1333c2cb652f49aeca1be97d945491b2.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

See you bought one for coming and one for going, wise old Owl !

One for the left foot, and one for the right. Honest Andy, not tell porkies.

On 2/4/2024 at 8:02 PM, HighPriority said:

Busy weekend Mr Owl ?

🤣

IMG_1382.jpeg

Does look a bit hectic. The water is very shallow. The fishes must be scared. Let's hope they were OK.

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Have you moved PW? Left wonderful Isaan, and moved to cold, grimy Toon country?

Good old Big Al humorous as ever Now see some folk on here have healthy bank accounts and able to go home and visit family as you mentioned you've burnt all your bridges back home sadly so dont be bitchy old lad lol

now if OSCAR still with us we'd like so see him occasionally not left to thoughts of WHERES THE OTHER DOG while you prat on with ya dodgy wiring LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pickettywitch said:

Good old Big Al humorous as ever Now see some folk on here have healthy bank accounts and able to go home and visit family as you mentioned you've burnt all your bridges back home sadly so dont be bitchy old lad lol

now if OSCAR still with us we'd like so see him occasionally not left to thoughts of WHERES THE OTHER DOG while you prat on with ya dodgy wiring LOL

Are you still in Isaan PW? Only going by your stated location; Newcastle.

The two little dogs across the road have died. Very sad. They were good pals with Robert and Oscar.

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Are you still in Isaan PW? Only going by your stated location; Newcastle.

The two little dogs across the road have died. Very sad. They were good pals with Robert and Oscar.

Well you see Im a northerner and proud on it LOL _ Here basically it not your country or your culture big Al and dont ya know it according the the powers that be Immigration your a paying guest basically dont fit the criteria ya OOT ! and dont we know it Its always handy to have options in your court but many expats here dont just keep eating ya 5 kilo o cheese LOL 

Edited by pickettywitch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pickettywitch said:

Well you see Im a northerner and proud on it LOL _ Here basically it not your country or your culture big Al and dont ya know it according the the powers that be Immigration your a paying guest basically dont fit the criteria ya OOT ! and dont we know it Its always handy to have options in your court but many expats here dont just keep eating ya 5 kilo o cheese LOL 

Make you right there PW. But I like the life here. It has its up, and has its downs, but I'm committed to Thailand, and Isaan particularly. Now, I'd only go back to England for an emergency. Or if I got kicked out.

Just about to have a cheese sarnie with tommies. Lovely!

Anyway, take care out there; where ever you are.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2