Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

13 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Hey Odysseus123 ,

You can correct all your photos with this free software :

I use it since many years ; it's the first one on the list

FastStone Image Viewer 7.5 

Downloaded 'FastStone. Looks very interesting. Now I've just got to suss out how to use it.

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Downloaded 'FastStone. Looks very interesting. Now I've just got to suss out how to use it.

If I know how to use it, me who is completely bad at IT, you should get there without forcing.

Bad at IT ; When I read the explanations in the post: "90 days reporting by internet", I seem to read Chinese mixed with Hungarian.
in fact I don't understand anything at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Gawd..you are smarter than I am.

Now you have got me on a hunt for eucalypts... some just down the road.

Hey,what else do you do in a lockdown?Australia goes to full lockdown tomorrow...

DSCN2609.JPG

On 3/29/2020 at 9:50 PM, Odysseus123 said:

Yeah TBL-but can I correct old photos on Windows 7?

Windows 10 is better but i only started using that this year.

No. 7 does not have that facility, but you can put all the photos you want to modify on a flashdrive, put the FD into your 10 machine, edit them and then put them back on your 7 machine.

Disagree about 10 being better, but since they won't upgrade 7 anymore it's just a matter of time before they all die.

On 3/30/2020 at 2:01 AM, Assurancetourix said:

It's his business, his money ...
While he could spend a quiet retirement, go fishing on his boat in Samui ...

Yeah, the great mystery to me why anyone would spend real money to set up a business in LOS instead of just enjoying life as is only possible in LOS.

That includes building expensive houses in an Issan village when they could be living by a beautiful beach somewhere for the same cost.

14 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

That's a bit condescending isn't it!

I don't think he wrote it in that sense.

I did not build a castle in my wife's village even if it is certainly the most beautiful house in the village (1.5 millon baht 10 years ago);
for that price, you don't buy much but certainly not a house in Samui or Phuket or even in Prachuap Khiri Khan.
It is true that we very often see very beautiful houses in Isaan but the immense majority belongs to Thai families; there is no farang in funding ...

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2020 at 4:44 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

That includes building expensive houses in an Issan village when they could be living by a beautiful beach somewhere for the same cost

Each to his own ( or beach to his own if you like )

Being fair skinned I have never liked beaches and they don't like me much either.

To me they are just a building site before all the cement has arrived. A beach spoilt my dirty weekend with a company secretary once by lobstering me despite being under a shade and having a light shirt on. My night of lust turned into a night of pain and I have avoided them since. Give me a rural scene with a mountain backdrop any day. 

But people who like to dress casually fit in well on any beach.

The old, the white, and the finally satisfied in Thailand – Love ...

Don't do much for the view though.

• Like 2

I wouldn't send away a valuable Flash Drive, given the mistakes that are often made here.

Have you asked on computer subforum here?

Btw, I love this thread, it's very interesting.

Where exactly did you buy the Eucalyptus seedlings?

On 4/1/2020 at 1:41 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

That's a bit condescending isn't it!

So everybody should live near the sea and not inland if we have a choice?

I like hilly or mountain or seaside areas and I don't think one is superior to another.

A lot of guys love living in Pattaya, I understand why and good for them, but I prefer Sri Racha cause it's quieter and is more Thai. 

There are so many beautiful places to lay your hat but it's what suits you (and your other half).

Jai yen, jai yen. It's just a forum, not the word of God.

I used a beach as an example, as I like beaches but feel free to ignore the point I was making. Live where you want.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Went into Ban Dung yesterday to get the pick-up MOTed and taxed. Virtually everyone had masks on, but it seemed like business as usual in the town itself. Big Care had only one entrance working and a crew of guys and gals taking temp's with the gun on forehead and - this is a new thing - no gel at the entrance but a lady spraying a mist of alcohol (I assume) all over customer's hands; front and back. 

Went into a computer shop to try to get them to transfer all the data on a FD onto another. As I went in the lady behind the counter shouted out "mask". I stopped and put mine on property. They couldn't help, so I went to the next one along, where neither of the two guys had masks on. Still no good. The Flash Drive loads but then disappears. I'm at a loss what to do. It has hours of drawings for our (myself and Mildred) new cartoon project and simply hundreds of pages of text. I'm thinking I'll have to send it away. It is a Kingston, but an early FD.

Fixed the hole in the roof this morning. Found a big chunk of floor tile up there. That's got me thinking.

The people in the house opposite (seven of them) have moved to their farm for the duration of the virus. They have a solar cell system at the farm. I'll try to get a pic or two.

Still no rain. Some is forecast for next Monday. Getting desperate up here. But some farmer near us is optimistic as he is ploughing and scarifying, readying for rice. I'm thinking that the world's weather patterns are rapidly changing. Just can't tell what's in store.

Have you tried the 'clinic' just past the hospital ( coming into Ban Dung on the Udon road)? 

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

Have you noticed the false information published in national and even international newspapers.
In Thailand, even if confinement is not yet compulsory, all the stores are closed, the streets are empty.
How much are they paid to tell so much bullsh*t?

No...not particularly..one is happening in one province might not be happening in another as yet.Very similar to the Immigration dept.Therefore I advised no-one on TV what to do unless it pertained to where I lived.

I thought that the main response has been on a regional basis-very unlike Australia.

Anyhow-I am glad to see that you are well and up and about again.

By the way I met a young Frenchman cycling about our mountains a few months ago.We had a great chat about the valley of the Moselle-he said the countryside hereabouts reminded him of the Vosges mountains.Nice chap.

Edited by Odysseus123

2 hours ago, Denim said:

We do, and the place of choice is where we are , in a rural village.

DSC03175.JPG

The view from our rear patio. Not spectacular I agree but it is very quiet and peaceful. Right on the edge of the village with no loud cocks going off at all hours. Big C 3k down the road for all the food we need. Perfect.

Perhaps you already have one, but a platform at some height would give you a spectacular view.

In my wife's village the monks started on loudspeakers before dawn, and the talking petrol pump next door always mandated an early wake up. Didn't matter as there was nothing to stay up late for. I quite liked the life, but when my ratbag nephew started practicing his electric bass guitar at midnight it drove me mad. My wife refused to do anything about it so we had to leave, or at least I would have left with or without her, and she chose to go with me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Good grief, it was only a comment. Why is everyone taking things so seriously? Do I really have to clarify everything I write. I thought people would understand that it was a beach OR the hills, OR the plains, OR the forest, OR a cave in the back of beyond, OR ( insert place of choice ).

The world is going mad and people are pickin' about a casual comment as though it's life or death.

Best not to pour scorn on where people have decided to settle and not then come looking for sympathy when your faux feelings are hurt, maybe better sticking to a coastal forum if all you want to do is ridicule inlanders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1