Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

Talking about owls...

My wife has been rather distressed because an owl has been visiting our place recently in the deep of the night...and it is true that a little old lady has died quite recently in the town house opposite from us.

13 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Always thought there was something special about OWLS.

I would like to open the video but I am afraid that I can't.

Recently my anti-virus program has decided that all videos on TVF  contain malware and blocks them immediately.Strange stuff..as it is happy to view directly from youtube.

I presume that Sheffield FC has something to do with owls?

5 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Ummm...my ignorance of the English football league is truly shameful.????

Mine too ;

I would add that my ignorance about everything related to football is filthy;

even if many years ago I had the chance to speak with Michel Platini and Alain Giresse because I had them in my coach.

I was even invited to play tarot with them

I don't know if you know this card game which is played with a special 78 card game

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Talking about owls...

My wife has been rather distressed because an owl has been visiting our place recently in the deep of the night...and it is true that a little old lady has died quite recently in the town house opposite from us.

Owls have special powers.

Fly silently.

They have developed special hearing.

Can see in the dark.

Highly intelligent.

In some parts of the world they are regarded as an omen. I think the little lady is right to be distressed. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Talking about owls...

I just remembered Ody'. In the middle east owls can tell what religion people are. They can differentiate between Christians, Jews and Muslims.

Evidently, in some parts of the middle east, there are different religious groups just a stone's throw from each other. The owls frequent the Jewish and Christian area more because they feel safe. The Muslims will eat the owls.

It is changing however and different religious groups have been meeting to discuss the owl dilemma. A lot of Muslims now see the owl, a vermin hunting bird, as more valuable alive than dead.

In China, they eat them. Sad!

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

In addition to these special powers, owls are mostly magnificent birds.

Today I went to photograph the workers who make the new four-lane road between Sawang Daen Din and Phangkhon.
In fact it is the widening of route 22.

Just outside Sawang going to Phangkhon

P1090189_road_22_to_Phangkhon.thumb.JPG.94a3a592cb52e2ee8542881bbf6e4d6b.JPG

P1090191_road_22_from_Phangkhon.thumb.JPG.1b4dc676d9a81769d28d45fa01b26c88.JPG

They started by clearing a large width, then they covered it with red earth and finally with bitumen.

And then they started to cover this bitumen with a thick layer of cement, about 30 cm thick!

P1090192_road_22_to_Sawang.thumb.JPG.146f4e391a6f44fe3fc0483723fac255.JPG

P1090194_road_22_to_Phangkhon.thumb.JPG.c1ad4985ce7696ceafc214e3d90ae793.JPG

The big difference between Europe and Thailand is that here, if you pass by the workers and take pictures of them, they greet you with a big smile and let you do what you have to do;
Obviously I do all this while trying to avoid disturbing them..
In France it would not even be a question of trying to approach with prohibitions every 3 meters ...

P1090196_road_22_to_Sawang.thumb.JPG.b120f8c80822052fa39b6010fc1ec18e.JPG

They make the side of the road "by hand";
the middle is made with a special machine

P1090199_road_22_to_Phangkhon.thumb.JPG.fcb819ad11b7a0fb9c82804788fd82f6.JPG

P1090200_road_22_to_Sawang.thumb.JPG.882703d90e0051ff640bbd5fd032de3a.JPG

One reason I love upcountry Thailand, so much more relaxed than uptight UK.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bannork said:

One reason I love upcountry Thailand, so much more relaxed than uptight UK.

UK has changed a lot because I remember going there many times when I was a trucker;

the police were very helpful and the little English girls very nice in the night clubs ...:giggle:
In 1978 or 79 I went there twice a week taking the ferry to different places.
I liked Cherbourg - Poole because the ferry only transported trucks; we didn't have tourists with us.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, samsensam said:

comparing upcountry thailand to the uk is hardly a valid comparison. compare upcountry thailand with countryside uk, i come from a countryside area with many beautiful, peaceful, community minded villages, nothing uptight at all.

Fair point, walking along the coastal paths in Cornwall I often found the people friendly and approachable. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 2:13 PM, Assurancetourix said:

Owl, where are you ?

P1090022_red_roads.thumb.JPG.a5336f552e68e7335dfc43522c0a8967.JPG

AT, that is one cracking pic. It's in at 664kb. Have you cropped or edited it? And, if you have, could I be so brazen as to ask you for a copy of the original through PM.

Many thanks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

AT, that is one cracking pic. It's in at 664kb. Have you cropped or edited it? And, if you have, could I be so brazen as to ask you for a copy of the original through PM.

Many thanks.

The original one is much bigger ; I'll send it to you  by PM 

If you use it privately, no problem; otherwise I would like you to say or write that it is mine.

ATX on thaivisa
That's all .

Edited by Assurancetourix

13 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

The original one is much bigger ; I'll send it to you  by PM 

If you use it privately, no problem; otherwise I would like you to say or write that it is mine.

ATX on thaivisa
That's all .

Great stuff.

I want to use it as a background pic for my computer. Also I will try to get a hard copy to put on the wall in the house.

For the hard copy, I would put the origin in the bottom corner. Just PM me with what you want on it.

Thanks AT.

It was fascinating in the beginning but I lost interest in the middle of the way. As much as I dislike the civilization and miss the pristine nature 60 years ago which I grew up with, I realize that I am not fond of uncultivated life while I read 'owl sees...' diary. The romanticized view of traditional agrarian life by urban scholar is total distortion of the reality. I grew up in the same environment in poverty, it is not pleasure. But interesting though.

• Like 1

I already sent you the original photo by PM; it is 6.4 Mb.
Assurancetourix is only a pseudo; this is not my real identity :whistling: but if you want to add this nickname at the bottom of the photo; why not !
ATX,  thaivisa's member, e.g.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I already sent you the original photo by PM; it is 6.4 Mb.
Assurancetourix is only a pseudo; this is not my real identity :whistling: but if you want to add this nickname at the bottom of the photo; why not !
ATX,  thaivisa's member, e.g.

Got it AT. Thanks.

Blows up to near 300% before distortion.

19 minutes ago, Retarded said:

It was fascinating in the beginning but I lost interest in the middle of the way. As much as I dislike the civilization and miss the pristine nature 60 years ago which I grew up with, I realize that I am not fond of uncultivated life while I read 'owl sees...' diary. The romanticized view of traditional agrarian life by urban scholar is total distortion of the reality. I grew up in the same environment in poverty, it is not pleasure. But interesting though.

Not sure I understand what you are saying; but welcome.

• Like 1