Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

On 4/2/2020 at 6:20 PM, owl sees all said:

I used the ultra sticky silver tape for the repair. It has done a good job and much quicker and cheaper than replacing a whole section.

I had a similar problem caused by a palm branch falling down and hitting the roof. I did a permanent repair by sliding a piece of tin shaped to the roof panel UNDER the damaged panel. It has to extend to the bottom edge of the panel as water just runs under the good part below the hole.

I was too heavy to walk on the roof and my wife was too scared to.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 6:20 PM, owl sees all said:

I am beginning to hate windows 10.

Not as much as I. 7 is far superior to 10 for what I do. I also hate MS as they won't support perfectly good older software so they can get richer. I hope there is a circle of hell reserved for them.

18 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes..I was standing on the footpath when they came streaming along so I just took a few snaps.

If I tried to do that in Australia it may have gone wrong very quickly.

WOW. Has Oz gone THAT bad?

Makes me wonder which is the third world country and which the first world?

No wonder I loved LOS.

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

When I got there, his wife said to me: David left for Germany 5 days ago.
No luck; David speaks fluently german, french, english , thai and thai-lao ;

with him I can know about everything which happen in a large circle  around his village and even in Sawang .
She added, do not go to Thung Fon, there are three cases of Covid-19

Was 'David' lucky to get out of Thailand at this time? I'd heard it was difficult. Kadilo did it, but only by using a taxi to go to BKK.

I went to Thung Fon 10 years ago. Have a very big pond in the middle of the village; if I recall correctly. Some beautiful ladies in that area.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Was 'David' lucky to get out of Thailand at this time? I'd heard it was difficult. Kadilo did it, but only by using a taxi to go to BKK.

I went to Thung Fon 10 years ago. Have a very big pond in the middle of the village; if I recall correctly. Some beautiful ladies in that area.

I do not know if David was forced to get to Bangkok by taxi or other means of transportation.
I only stayed a few minutes with his wife and two children.
What I do know is that he is in Germany.

Right, in Thung Fon there is a nice pond in the village; I even think it's behind the big police station.

17 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Hello Owl, hello everyone,

Mine told me this morning that Amphoe Charoen Sin was closed by the mayor of Sawang 1 or 2 days ago because of a woman who returned from bangkok with the Covid-19 in her.
So route 2280 from Sawang to Kham Ta Khla is certainly closed or very guarded;
I did not go to see to confirm it.

This morning I decided to go see my German friend, David, who lives in Ban Plouak, 20 km from my village.
No luck; David speaks fluently german, french, english , thai and thai-lao ;

with him I can know about everything which happen in a large circle  around his village and even in Sawang .
She added, do not go to Thung Fon, there are three cases of Covid-19

So a litle balade , 49 km on my MTBike ; much wind in the face coming back home 

Not far ban Plouak on road 2004

P1090205_road_2004.thumb.JPG.13ce437f9c85b46ae17597c121d4ddba.JPG

P1090206_road_2004.thumb.JPG.a852167e36a656da299653198d435db6.JPG

Nice photos, but would benefit from taking them in FRONT of your bicycle.

17 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Must be hard for her not knowing if he'll return. Bit like a wife seeing her husband go to war and not knowing if she would be a widow or wife when it was over.

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nice photos, but would benefit from taking them in FRONT of your bicycle.

I do what I can ... sir "never happy" :cheesy:
Be happy, on 50% of these photos you can see my mountain bike .

I estimated that the second photo would be more beautiful without my MTBike in front ..

and about "never happy" or " never satisfied "  with instruction for those who don't know (I'm thinking of POTY 2019)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Jamais_Contente

• Haha 2

After me posting that a village near us (Don Chillit) was under lock down #669), and I would give my friend Fritz a bell, he arrived at the farm on his Kwacka yesterday afternoon.

Mrs Owl was there, and asked about the mounting body count in his village. He knew nothing of the virus lock down and didn't know of any casualties.

The Mrs blamed the misinformation on simple village gossip; while drinking copious quantities of Loa Khow (just how is this spelt?).

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

while drinking copious quantities of Loa Khow (just how is this spelt?).

Lao khao = เหล้า ขาว

https://flipside-travel.com/lao-khao-rice-alcohol-chiang-mai/

not to be confused with lao-lao which is handcrafted on the farm in Isaan .
It is not very strong, about 18 *, yellowish, slightly sugar;
it seems that it is drunk like whey;
the problem is that when you have drunk too much you fall backwards like a mass and you wake up several hours or even two days later with a huge headache.

We can compare it to the chouchen which is made in Brittany; alcoholism and equivalent results

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

She always has a cheeky smile for me,

No mask then?

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

But there's a restaurant just along the road. Expensive though; 195 Baht for the three of us

I'm assuming that's a joke? Cost me more than that for two when I took the once upon a time beloved out to dinner ( not including drinks )

Your garden center photos took me back. I spent a lot of time in them once upon a time.

Keep 'em coming.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No mask then?

I'm assuming that's a joke? Cost me more than that for two when I took the once upon a time beloved out to dinner ( not including drinks )

Your garden center photos took me back. I spent a lot of time in them once upon a time.

Keep 'em coming.

You are right. Before the mask came on the scene she would give the smile. Now I have to see the smile by looking at her eyes. She never winks at me or anything like that. She probably wishes I was her dad.

Meal was 195 Baht for three. With the food also three small (375ml) bottles of cola. So not too bad. The food in Phen is cheaper. In the eating houses either side of the road just past the river, three meals are usually 120 Baht, but without the cola. Went into a posh place in Bang Kapi (BKK) once; I think it was a Japanese joint, spent 500 Baht for the two of us and was hungry two hours later; and had the runs next day. I've learnt since then.

We spend a fair bit of time in garden centers. Have enough fruit trees to keep me in vit' C for years. Mango season almost with us. I like the mangoes to be sweet. The Thais seem to prefer them sour with a spicy dip. I lived in Jamaica for a while and the mangoes there are simply magnificent. Dark rum and mangoes. That's all ya need. And some decent calypso. And a lovely lady by your side. Just like Thailand in fact but with Lao khow.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not a joke ;

A few weeks ago , in a restaurant in Sawang on the left side of the first light coming from Sakon Nakhon, khao pat khai ( chicken )  or hmu ( pig )  was 35 baht ; now it's 40 baht as nearly all other restaurant in Sawang and the villages around.

Today a very little MTBike balade : 27 km on red roads .

The photo of the century ( :sorry: but thai people love to make their country as an open garbage can ) :post-4641-1156693976:

P1090210_red_road.thumb.JPG.d295ea8bddde75579a46cb241e8e995c.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It's not a joke ;

A few weeks ago , in a restaurant in Sawang on the left side of the first light coming from Sakon Nakhon, khao pat khai ( chicken )  or hmu ( pig )  was 35 baht ; now it's 40 baht as nearly all other restaurant in Sawang and the villages around.

The photo of the century ( :sorry: but thai people love to make their country as an open garbage can ) :post-4641-1156693976:

Thais don't seem to care about anything outside their property. Sad.

I went to a local hot spot waterfall somewhere on the MHS loop and it was a garbage tip. Samet, the last time I went was a garbage tip end to end.

18 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Considering it was probably 25 baht 40 years ago that's still pretty cheap.

20 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It's not a joke ;

Good photo Asterix*-it certainly shows it how it is at times-there were certainly plenty of dumps like that around my neck of the woods..