Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

While looking for a photo on my HD, I came across those I took at The Black House, a little north of Chiang Rai;
in this large property there is a cage in which an owl lives; I took a picture of it and I offer you these two Owl pictures;
if you want them in original size, I will send them to you in PM

P1000588_Chiang_Rai_The_Black_House.thumb.JPG.bbe2ad7ade25f10e645ac7cd74d55e3c.JPG

P1000593_Chiang_Rai_The_Black_House.thumb.JPG.17046c653b8a85a0acfbb09cced03bc5.JPG

I'll take you up on that offer AT. Absolutely stunning!

I have a collection of pics that I did not take myself. Owls are in that collection as are koi carp. I'll add then into the album. Also I love the pics of the cosmos. Makes one realise just how or important we are (and lucky) or insignificant we could be.

I like those quirky pics too. You may have seen my favourite, where the moon is photographed as a yacht is passing.

• Like 2

My favourite Isaan pic.

5acac4ffa0234_steelfixing.jpg.6bd54b791e37729b41428d964f89aa3f.jpg

Unfortunately I lost the originals, but still have this small one.

Taken about five years ago just off the Phen to Non Han road in Udon province.

Where is the steelfixer's union shopsteward?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Cekoikifon ?

and in english : what are they doing or making ? 

A bridge ?

The river ran under the road but after a severe downpour the road was no more. Two ladies and two guys were working on one side of a culvert. About six weeks later the road reopened. But what's not obvious from the pic', is that the river is really racing through. If the temporary mud wall had gone?

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't see any rope around you in case the ladder falls, which it could.

At least throw a rope over the roof and secure it on the other side to attach yourself to.

I have a ladder permanently up a tree that is as high, and I have a proper climber's ascender to use on a rope tied above the ladder so if I fall off I won't die, or worse become paralysed.

You are making a lot of sense AT.

I'll definitely keep your words in mind if I have to go up that high again.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

You are making a lot of sense AT.

I'll definitely keep your words in mind if I have to go up that high again.

As for me, I feel dizzy on the third bar of a ladder;
all these high things are done by my stepson.
Ladders made in Thailand look beautiful but in fact are dangerous;

no study is made when at their stability, the base is always too small when the "security" is at its maximum admissible;
wheelbarrows .. same problem, the front wheel is never offset enough and if you load without paying attention where you put your shovel, you end up with the wheelbarrow almost vertically because the center of gravity has never been studied properly.
A whole bunch of tools "made in Thailand" which are in fact dangerous to use.
So you have to buy German or American tools that cost an arm and a half kidney if you want to work properly

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

As for me, I feel dizzy on the third bar of a ladder;
all these high things are done by my stepson.
Ladders made in Thailand look beautiful but in fact are dangerous;

no study is made when at their stability, the base is always too small when the "security" is at its maximum admissible;
wheelbarrows .. same problem, the front wheel is never offset enough and if you load without paying attention where you put your shovel, you end up with the wheelbarrow almost vertically because the center of gravity has never been studied properly.
A whole bunch of tools "made in Thailand" which are in fact dangerous to use.
So you have to buy German or American tools that cost an arm and a half kidney if you want to work properly

You are forever thinking about safety AT. That is no bad thing here. Can easily get lured into a less than safe mode. I've noticed that ladders do not seem so robust as in the west. In fact, I saw one last week, used for telegraph work, made from bamboo, and it was about eight metres long.

The wheelbarrows here get some getting used to. I've had a couple tip over.

4 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Owl, please buy yourself a small cherry picker ! (Tax deductible ?)

youre looking a tad precarious on that damned ladder again !

Apparently it was so cold last night that mum didn’t have a shower !

The cherry pickers that I've seen in the states were not at all small. The one I'm thinking of has two bat-like arms that clamp around the tree and give it a vibrate.

Yesterday at the farm it went from about 30c at 5 o'clock to below 20c at 5-30; but gradually got warmer during the following hour. No hailstones though, unlike the town Nong Bua Lampu, near Udon. 

Fortunately our water pressure is OK at the mo', so no problem with the bathroom water heater.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

You are forever thinking about safety AT. That is no bad thing here. Can easily get lured into a less than safe mode. I've noticed that ladders do not seem so robust as in the west. In fact, I saw one last week, used for telegraph work, made from bamboo, and it was about eight metres long.

The wheelbarrows here get some getting used to. I've had a couple tip over.

I bought one of those bamboo ones when I painted my house, 600bht. Awful ladder, never again. Price will no longer be a factor for me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I bought one of those bamboo ones when I painted my house, 600bht. Awful ladder, never again. Price will no longer be a factor for me.

Yup, i bought a bamboo ladder for working on the house, on advice of the bil I bought some steel wire and looped it round each side rail and under the rungs in case it wanted to come apart.

Only problem is the rungs are too far apart  making it awkward to climb up and down.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The one I'm thinking of has two bat-like arms that clamp around the tree and give it a vibrate.

LOL. I think the "cherry picker" he is referring to is one of those platforms that lifts someone up high to work on something, not something that actually picks fruit.

Bit expensive just for an infrequent event, but one may be able to be rented locally.

IMO just being tied on securely is good enough, so long as someone is around in case you end up hanging.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HighPriority said:

My daughter in law sent a video of yesterday’s rain storm, my wife says that she hasn’t seen such fierce rain since she was her daughters age (15).

Any chance of putting the vid' up HP. Would be a good addition to 'The diary'.

Mrs Owl has just returned from Buddha. She reckons there were more people there than she has seen in a  long time; some younger people too (under 30). Interestingly, not one person had a mask on, although a couple had them round their necks.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The cherry machine that I was thinking of is a serious bit of kit.

Machine starts up on two minutes.

I think I'll get Milly one for her birthday.

That is pretty impressive, do they use the same on olive trees I wonder. I think the person who originally suggested a cherry picker really meant a MEWP (Mobile elevated work platform which some people call a cherry picker). As for tying yourself off with a rope, I'd suggest you're probably better off risking the fall from the ladder. To tie yourself off properly you need a fit for purpose fall arrest harness with built in shock absorber. This needs anchoring above head height and attached to an anchor point which should be either tested to or calculated to be able to withstand an applied load of 1 ton. Then you have the fall arrest shock trauma to consider, depending on a persons fitness whoever comes to your rescue has a limited time to effect a rescue prior to death. This being the case, fall arrest is a waste of time unless you have a rescue plan in place should you fall.

I believe there are inflatable bags which would be better for people like yourself who maybe work at height a lot. Not sure if this is allowed but the link provides a picture of what I mean.

https://thxuk.com/product-range/handling-lifting/fall-arrest-safety-equipment/soft-landing-bags/

When managing risk there's certain things to take into consideration. Risk = Possibility X consequence. Now the possibility of a fall from height if you're up a ladder once a year would be pretty low, but the consequence would be very high. If you use ladders all the time then the chances are there'll be a fall sooner or later so do yourself and us a favour be acquiring some inflatable bags.

Sorry about all that but I had a spare 15 minutes to fill.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

That is pretty impressive, do they use the same on olive trees I wonder. I think the person who originally suggested a cherry picker really meant a MEWP (Mobile elevated work platform which some people call a cherry picker).

They do use a vibrator/shaker machine down the west country (Somerset way) when they harvest the cider apples. These machines come into their own when there is a small window for getting in the fruit.

I used to like cherry cola. In fact it was my favourite drink straight from the fridge; no ice! Not seen it for years, let alone tasted it. Is it still about?

All this stuff about ladders. Just have to be careful, and come down (rather than just hang on) if you are overcome with dizziness.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

They do use a vibrator/shaker machine down the west country (Somerset way) when they harvest the cider apples. These machines come into their own when there is a small window for getting in the fruit.

I used to like cherry cola. In fact it was my favourite drink straight from the fridge; no ice! Not seen it for years, let alone tasted it. Is it still about?

All this stuff about ladders. Just have to be careful, and come down (rather than just hang on) if you are overcome with dizziness.

Not sure about Cherry Cola, not a drink a look for, always been a Dandelion and Burdock man myself.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Any chance of putting the vid' up HP. Would be a good addition to 'The diary'.

When I asked my wife for the video she looked at me like I was PeahBah and denied all knowledge... ????

Maybe I am going crazy...?

Maybe as my wife says “PeahBah know PeahBah” ????

So, it seems a retraction is in order.