Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

7 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Not sure about Cherry Cola, not a drink a look for, always been a Dandelion and Burdock man myself.

That takes me back to South Wales. Worked on the open sea harbour and breakwater at Port Talbot. Everyone drank D&B. Ansels beer; wow!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

When I asked my wife for the video she looked at me like I was PeahBah and denied all knowledge.

Maybe as my wife says “PeahBah know PeahBah”

The saying in these parts is: "Bar, bar, bab boor." Though not sure about the spelling.

Never mind HP; you tried.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

That takes me back to South Wales. Worked on the open sea harbour and breakwater at Port Talbot. Everyone drank D&B. Ansels beer; wow!

There's lovely....

You ever eat Cockles & Lavabread - 'orrible stuff! 555!

Did you go to Baron's night club, or Escape in Swansea?

Had some somewhat riotious times there long time ago - unmentionable on a " family friendly forum". 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I remember the name.

I was too young to drink, but I used to go to school in Aston, Birmingham. The Ansells Brewery was just up the road at Aston Cross.

When walking to school from the bus stop we could tell which way the wind was blowing, depending if you could smell either the brewery or the HP Sauce factory in the other direction.

Ansells Bitter - The Wigan Beer Company  Ansells Mild - Carlsberg Group - Untappd

Changed so much in the last 40 years.

Used to go to Birmingham Town Hall; saw Arthur Brown, Amon Duul & many other bands there. Great times.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, faraday said:

Changed so much in the last 40 years.

Used to go to Birmingham Town Hall; saw Arthur Brown, Amon Duul & many other bands there. Great times.

The only one I can remember is Arthur Brown - Fire. Just looked it up, that was 1968.

Did you live Brum?

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

The only one I can remember is Arthur Brown - Fire. Just looked it up, that was 1968.

Did you live Brum?

No, I lived in Stratford, but used to go to Brum a lot.

Heard a tale from a college lecturer - dunno how true it was though, that the IRA kept ordnance under the Bullring.

Then later, there were those horrific pub bombings. Can still remember the shock when they happened.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, faraday said:

No, I lived in Stratford, but used to go to Brum a lot.

Heard a tale from a college lecturer - dunno how true it was though, that the IRA kept ordnance under the Bullring.

Then later, there were those horrific pub bombings. Can still remember the shock when they happened.

Yes, I remember that too, knowing the area well. However, we had moved to Leicester by then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I remember the name.

I was too young to drink, but I used to go to school in Aston, Birmingham. The Ansells Brewery was just up the road at Aston Cross.

When walking to school from the bus stop we could tell which way the wind was blowing, depending if you could smell either the brewery or the HP Sauce factory in the other direction.

Ansells Bitter - The Wigan Beer Company  Ansells Mild - Carlsberg Group - Untappd

I met Fatima, my second wife, in a small social club, opposite the WBA footy ground. Lovely breasts!

As a younger person living in Dagenham Dock, I was very close to 'May and Baker' at Dagenham East. They would have pallet loads of opium delivered at night to make their pills. You could almost taste the stuff in the air at times. Also famous for the sound of howling dogs in the night.

Edited by owl sees all
added social
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I met Fatima, my second wife, in a small club, opposite the WBA footy ground. Lovely breasts!

As a younger person living in Dagenham Dock, I was very close to 'May and Baker' at Dagenham East. They would have pallet loads of opium delivered at night to make their pills. You could almost taste the stuff in the air at times. Also famous for the sound of howling dogs in the night.

I remember the ground on the Birmingham Road, Smethwick. I know nothing of football though, or any sport.

I didn't remember the Hawthorns had lovely breasts though?

I asked a friend who had been married a few times how many wives he'd had. His reply was, "What, my own or other people's?"

12 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I remember the ground on the Birmingham Road, Smethwick. I know nothing of football though, or any sport.

I didn't remember the Hawthorns had lovely breasts though?

I asked a friend who had been married a few times how many wives he'd had. His reply was, "What, my own or other people's?"

Oh bluesofa! You are such a silly-billy. I meant Fatima had lovely breasts, not anything to do with the footy.

Off to town at 2 o'clock. Probably Ban Dung rather than Phen as we need to go to Big Care.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Oh bluesofa! You are such a silly-billy. I meant Fatima had lovely breasts, not anything to do with the footy.

Off to town at 2 o'clock. Probably Ban Dung rather than Phen as we need to go to Big Care.

I notice you often refer to Big C as Big Care, is there a reason for this? Or is it another shop completely?

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

I notice you often refer to Big C as Big Care, is there a reason for this? Or is it another shop completely?

Big C is Big Care.

Taken over from Tesco and 7-11 at the most caring store.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Not my description bluesofa. I saw a board outside one of their customer service counters saying:

Big C - We care - Big Care

I thought; 'that's good'. 'Big Care', has a ring to it. Thais will take to that.

Also Big Care invites their customers to take cardboard boxes to help with the purchased goods. Bought three buns today at 7-11 and had to ask my favourite check-out girl for a bag. She gave me a small one rather than the bigger (bin size) one. Going off her. Her mate is better looking. A change is due.

Televisions are on sale again at Big Care. Pringles still 3 tubes for 110 Baht. Cat food back to 34 Baht a tin (bought 4).

Off to the farm shortly. Have to water the plants and trees; no rain. Was gonna stitch up a  hammock that got torn, but will not have time today.

Thanks for the explanation. That's pretty good Engrish for here.

Interesting about (some) electrical goods on sale in Big C.

Our electric hot water jug broke and I was going to get another in Big C. Wife told me they had closed all the non-food sections in Udon.

I phoned Big C call centre, they confirmed it, said I could order one for home delivery though. I didn't go down that route, as I wanted to see one before purchasing it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Indeed...

My congratulations on your wonderful thread of "seeing" and "being" in Thailand.

DSCN0428.JPG

Thanks for those kind words Ody.

Why are you up so late? Should be curled up with the good lady.

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for the explanation. That's pretty good Engrish for here.

Interesting about (some) electrical goods on sale in Big C.

Our electric hot water jug broke and I was going to get another in Big C. Wife told me they had closed all the non-food sections in Udon.

I phoned Big C call centre, they confirmed it, said I could order one for home delivery though. I didn't go down that route, as I wanted to see one before purchasing it.

Yes, they've closed the non-food sections, but I have no idea why. However, about 4 days ago we needed a new fan. When we went into BigC, at the top of the escalator on the left, there was one girl who was able to show us & 'demonstrate' the fan. 

This is BigC nadee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I am currently offshore in the cold and windy North Sea. We are social distancing here, eating apart, separate rooms and cleaning like I’ve never seen. We had our first suspected COVID case and he was airlifted off so every one was worried it was the first of many. I flew out on the chopper with him so if anyone was gonna get it from him I guess I was in the frame.

It's a small world.

I was a warehouse man in Lowestoft serving a couple of rigs. I spent some time on the Mr Louie (spelling) rig, although I was never a roughneck or roustabout (again spelling). When my placement for REME came through I left the supply company for Arborfield.

My first ex still lives near the old May and Baker works. Howling dogs at night would keep us awake if the wind was in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 2:22 AM, owl sees all said:

This hammock is about 5 years old but if people do not tear it there are plenty of years in it yet.

When I have something like that I reinforce it ( after repairing ) with duct tape across ways and around the item, both sides. Wonderful stuff, duct tape.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:12 AM, owl sees all said:

I spent a week in Port Toilet ( sorry ???? ) working at British Steel ( now Tata ).

Stayed in a pub in Porthcawl ( ? ) , an old place right on the cliffs overlooking the sea. One night had a hell of a storm, shutters banging and wind howling etc, swear I thought we were gonna end up in the sea !!

• Like 2