Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

21 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Whenever I went somewhere on my bike I would always take a few pictures with the bike in. Unfortunately, I haven't been out on my bike for a few years now, but once I retire to Khammuang in Kalasin in about 3 years, I will start cycling again. 

I hope that I will always be in my small village.
The province of Kalasin touches that of Sakon Nakhon.
The city of Kalasin is only about 130 km from my village.
It is done during the day; but not the return, I'm not 18 anymore ...
Will have to accommodate me :jap:

and then Khammuang is not very far, only 20 km after Wang Sammo

22 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Be grateful that he doesn’t make the cranks level in every pic, real bike wallys would do this, Asterix just likes photographing his bike.

I could actually annoy, generate a lot of members if every time I post a photo I start talking about technical and mechanical cycling.
This line is that of Owl and to avoid it falling into the depths of the forum, we are a few to write and post photos; so it always stays on the first page.

is the length of the cranks of my pedals of essential interest?
I do not think so
or know that my triple front is not a triple usually installed on an MTBike since my chainrings are 48x36x24 instead of 44x34x22 :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

This line is that of Owl and to avoid it falling into the depths of the forum, we are a few to write and post photos; so it always stays on the first page.

Could someone translate please?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 25-04-2020

Drop in temperature, and a little rain. Better than nothing.

Went to the see the tree lady yesterday. Paid 9k and that leaves 10k to pay next month. She was saying that about half her euca customers have already planted their saplings. Now they are regretting it, and wish they had waited. Eucalypti are very tough trees so they will be OK. Just a little slow to get started with no water. Nature finds a way.

The boss lady and Mrs Owl having a conflab.

conflab.jpg.6d65bff9bf99136bf605c3a2f4e3d6b3.jpg 

I don't know who is ordering these rubber trees! They have thousands. 

trees.jpg.6cfea770ca4253e4562aad4b7afd8d24.jpg

The farm worker, hard at it; smelling stick in hand.

worker.jpg.d037592b5aff98dd31d32c3840451165.jpg

&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

Called past Milly's school to have a butchers. I was surprised to see how fast progress has been. Looking good. Not sure about the concrete post across the pavement though. Perhaps they will move it; perhaps not. I'll have a look next time I go to town.

683417051_millyschool.jpg.0f2eb8384581a173460ff851cf3fe02e.jpg

Not at all sure when Milly is going back to school. She says the first of next month? I don't know, and I'm happy home-teaching her. Would that be regarded as work? Have to be careful in LOS.

The house just across from us in the village has some mangoes that are different.

536819801_giantmangoes.jpg.6eb05e72512bfeca658546ec52f63d9e.jpg

They are absolute giants. I'll ask the lady if I can take one. Mrs Owl said they would taste bitter. They look good to me though.

This evening I asked the wife about the grass on the farm, and she said to just tractor it in. A few weeks ago I said I didn't want the tractor. It caused a row then and it was no different today. I kept my cool pretty well, although it was difficult.

Now Mrs Owl doesn't want to do the trees at all. I told her I was happy with that. That made things worse. Think the real problem, is that she has already spoken to the tractor man, and doesn't want to lose face by not using him.

The farm was just about perfect this evening (before the tractor row). A gentle breeze and temperature of 28c.

Poom, from the adjacent farm, always comes over for a visit.

poom.jpg.04306c0ca5e079ca98918b3b8cdb7173.jpg

He likes to help me feed the fish. He is a terrible chucker though, and half the fish pellets don't make it to the water. Good job he has little hands.

The farm that sits between us and the Buddha was doing some tractor work this afternoon. The lad is same age as Mildred (10). He can look after their cows alright, and today he was driving the tractor.  Dad was doing the three point turns and son was driving the tractor on the straights.

1499982849_drivetractor01.jpg.21eb7b19d8efe664d2750a6da45b7a9c.jpg

Keep going forward son. Reversing next week.

1609469964_drivetractor.jpg.e466a6438807f63315c5792fd9e45a2e.jpg

Putting down a layer of manure of sorts. Don't know what it is. I'll sneak over there tomorrow and have a look.

We don't do home school work at week ends, but we have a deal that Mildred has to do her drawings. She is quite good artistically; and it keeps her away from the telephone for a while.

I'm practicing boogie woogie on the organ. Have to keep the left hand going for two minutes non-stop; then I'll be ready for the right hand. Soon I'll be playing like Chris Conz, or Jooles.

Sorted out the slow-puncture yesterday. Nothing they could do. Put in a tube. 380 Baht.

Same restaurant again while we were waiting for the tyre. 205 Baht; as last time. Daylight robbery. 

Just after nine. No food as yet. Never mind. I was gaining weight.

Bye y'all.

How's Milly's English?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

She knows little about Thai history,

It will be difficult to make her learn the true history of Thailand which has absolutely nothing to do with the "Official History" told and written in the Thai books.
Either you really teach her what has happened over the centuries and inevitably she will repeat to her school friends and to her teacher what you will have told her and she will pass for a plague victim because the "Official History" is really very far from real history.
Either you teach her what her teacher must teach her and it is you who will be frustrated.

Not obvious school life in the country of the teddy bears

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

It will be difficult to make her learn the true history of Thailand which has absolutely nothing to do with the "Official History" told and written in the Thai books.
Either you really teach her what has happened over the centuries and inevitably she will repeat to her school friends and to her teacher what you will have told her and she will pass for a plague victim because the "Official History" is really very far from real history.
Either you teach her what her teacher must teach her and it is you who will be frustrated.

Not obvious school life in the country of the teddy bears

Isnt there an aspect of "official history" everywhere in the world, The victors write history, not the vanquished.

Is there an aspect of Thai history that Thai people need to know, that makes a difference ?

Think back to the version of Australian history we were taught.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

A few years ago I had a discussion with my wife about the history of Issan and how more than 150 years ago it was part of Laos. She said it had always been Thailand.

Ask her why we speak Lao in Issan and Khmer in the southern part of the province of Ubon.
and shows her old maps;
I have an old map on the wall at home; we can clearly see that the Mekong flows in Laos with borders far to the west.

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Isnt there an aspect of "official history" everywhere in the world, The victors write history

Except that in the case of Thailand, the exact opposite has happened.
For example on the Victory Monument in Bangkok, the battle of koh Chang is a Thai victory whereas in reality on sea the Thai navy was almost entirely sunk by the French navy;
and on earth, it was not the Thai people who beat the French but the Japanese ..

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The lad is same age as Mildred (10). He can look after their cows alright, and today he was driving the tractor.  Dad was doing the three point turns and son was driving the tractor on the straights.

Of course, Safety First ...:crazy:
There is only one seat on this type of agricultural tractor in Thailand;
when the boy falls for an indefinite reason and goes under one of the rear wheels, it will obviously be the fault of bad luck.
I don't say anything anymore, I don't make any more comments I let them do their bullshi*t .. except of course when I take the wheel of my pickup.
there,  it is a maximum of 5 people in the cabin for a very simple reason: there are only 5 seat belts.
And if I don't drive it, their bullshi*t is up to them.
they know that I will not put a baht, it is too much already, a satang, in a repair or a fine.