BANGKOK

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Your big mouth. You don't need a megaphone then!

Never ..

It happened to me in my early youth to run faster than they would have wanted some very bad bosses in the road transport of goods

Just came back from Ban Dung. A mini Big C has just opened alongside 7-11, and they are only two shops down from Tesco.

That's three competing shops within 50 metres. 

Must be boom time. 

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

Sounds like the coffee shop business in upcountry provincial towns. One opens and does reasonable trade and with 6 months you have another 4 or 5 opening. Then business goes down and a year down the road 1 or 2 close down because of lack of trade. 

You are right about the coffee shops. Life of about 3/4 months. 

Ban Dung is just a small Isaan town of a few thousand. It has five 7-11s, one big Big C and now the new mini one, Tesco's have a medium store and a mini one.

At last count it had 23 phone shops (12 in Big Care alone). But not big enough for a set of traffic signals. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

You are right about the coffee shops. Life of about 3/4 months. 

Ban Dung is just a small Isaan town of a few thousand. It has five 7-11s, one big Big C and now the new mini one, Tesco's have a medium store and a mini one.

At last count it had 23 phone shops (12 in Big Care alone). But not big enough for a set of traffic signals. 

In a few years I will be retiring to Kham Muang in Kalasin, after living for nearly 40 years in Bangkok. There they have one 7/11, one Tesco express, about seven coffee shops, six or more phone shops, but no traffic lights and a small population I would guess at no more than 2 thousand.  The land prices are crazy there too. It is going to be a major change for me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

In a few years I will be retiring to Kham Muang in Kalasin, after living for nearly 40 years in Bangkok. There they have one 7/11, one Tesco express, about seven coffee shops, six or more phone shops, but no traffic lights and a small population I would guess at no more than 2 thousand.  The land prices are crazy there too. It is going to be a major change for me. 

Why are the land prices crazy. ? What sort of price are we talking about?

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Very expensive , I think 

A photo I shot 2 months ago just outside Sawang Daen Din on road 2342

somebody is selling half a rai for 1,5 million baht 

P1080748_road_2342.thumb.JPG.1e3064cf0d6b31a6ebf126dc6ae7b5bd.JPG

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Very expensive , I think 

Yes, land prices are expensive, but only as long a people are willing to pay the price.

I see it says "เกือบ" above, which is "almost" half a rai.

Last year my wife sold almost a rai on a concrete small soi for 2 million Baht, in our village just outside Udon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, land prices are expensive, but only as long a people are willing to pay the price.

Last year my wife sold almost a rai on a concrete small soi for 2 million Baht, in our village just outside Udon.

Bought by Thai or foreigner ? 

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:
2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Bought by Thai or foreigner ? 

A Thai, who wanted to build houses on the land and sell them.

14 hours ago, Kadilo said:

The Land Department appraised price is Baht 1,700/sq wah for a large number of plots on the main road, but the owners are selling for up to 6 times that price. The piece of land I am interested in buying, on which to build a house, is 1 Ngan and 53 Wah or 153 wah so based on the Land Department it should be going for Baht 260,100. But the owner is asking 1.5 million. Along that road all the land is in that range.  The owner of the land does not know I am involved so it is not a cheat the foreigner type of deal. 

The funny thing is that in the next district over, which is much more developed, has more amenities, and is nearer the provincial capital, the land prices are lower. It seems that a local celebrity on the Luk Tung circuit started buying up a lot of land locally as they came into a lot of money and it pushed up the price of land in the district. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Very expensive , I think 

Including a house.