Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

22 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

My first time in Isaan I thought it was great, did the farang dance with land and house. I was still working so only stayed for 2 mos at a time. As time went by realized I wouldn't make this my retirement home, my reasoning was that I've worked too hard all my life to settle for this.....this being living in a rice paddie. Don't get me wrong, a lot of good hard working people. I didn't have to move to Thailand to live in the country, I grew up in the country, I have property in the country in the US. I would like to be nearer things that interest me, going to see a movie in English if I choose plus I love living near the sea.

Anyway, school for our daughter was becoming a topic of concern. Long story short we moved south to a little fishing village close to a nice beach, good schools, the move was for me as much as it was for our daughter. Plus, I'm a good 11 hrs by car away from THE family.

So, where about did you find this paradise? 

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Life for the dogs outside your palace walls are a bit different.

Every dog in our village have a home, and no dogs killing chicken, or anything else, I guess that explains Owls dog. I have only seen good treatment around where I stay now, and much better than any place in south and mid Thailand. 

Thanks for your entertaining and informative posts. On my next trip to the LOS, I'd like to venture up that way..., probably by bus and rail. I've been to Chiang Mai many times and also down to the south east but never up into the belly of Isaan proper..., so I'll continue to read and learn.
Thank you.  

On 11/18/2019 at 11:08 AM, 4MyEgo said:

My wife doesn't give them "Jack", and naturally I asked come one day, "honey" why don't you give them something....huh, they have hands and feet and can work, instead of always asking for money on the village people for this or that, um....ok "honey" that sounds logical......love you ???? :omfg:

My wife doesn't give alms as they pass the house but does occasionally when she visits at the temple.

It's all a matter of choice.

20 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log 20-11-2019

Everything back to normal in the household this morning. No dramas.

Went outside to open the gate at 5-45 this morning. looking right I can count 9 dogs in about 60 metres or so. Now which one, I thought, ripped open the rubbish bags and messed up the environment! Not to worry. I was more concerned with the water leak right outside the gate.

It was only sorted out a few days ago. Some sorting that!

water leak.JPG

Brousing through my pics, I found a couple of nice ones of Nong Khai.

Laos in the background, across the mighty Mekong river.

Nong-Khai-monsters.jpg

And four young ladies outside the aquarium.

four girls.JPG

Mrs Owl has just told me she needs a rest, and has retired back to the  bedroom, giving me that 'not tonight Josephene' look as she passed. I have important work anyway; mixing up my blended wine. I've strained the reishi, and have one and a half litres of Lao khow at the ready. I might not use it all as, I don't like to make it too strong; about 20% alchol content is about right for me.

I really have to go to the farm today. No excuses.

Owl, don't you have one of those blue rubbish bins with lids outside your house?  They usually keep the dogs out but they're not very big.

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

So, where about did you find this paradise? 

For me nowhere can beat Issan but if someone wanted to live in unspoilt areas by the sea I would recommend some places in Ban Chang district Rayong province and Prajuap Khiri Khan. The latter is a lovely town with Ao Manao nearby.

4 minutes ago, bannork said:

Owl, don't you have one of those blue rubbish bins with lids outside your house?  They usually keep the dogs out but they're not very big.

The bins we have just outside Udon city are those water barrels about a metre tall. They're supplied by the tessaban and have a hinged lid on top, instead of the lid in the pic below.

image.png.9e9e144de93494944ef93b67cee41434.png

49 minutes ago, bannork said:

For me nowhere can beat Issan but if someone wanted to live in unspoilt areas by the sea I would recommend some places in Ban Chang district Rayong province and Prajuap Khiri Khan. The latter is a lovely town with Ao Manao nearby.

Prachuap is a lovely city I pass on my way to and from south quite often, but never stayed in the area. First stop is always Chumpon or Ranong. 

However I have been thinking, when I stop working, it could be a town to settle, but things would have changed quite a bit before thats going to happen. 

I would never settle 100% in Isan, but 30% of my time maybe?