Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

15 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Cheers but there was no magic there just look and click. 

Which reminds me of when my girlfriend called on skype the other day and said “you look different. Tired like you been working night and day. Not same as when you come see me”

So I reminded her she looks the same as me when she’s not using her “magic” app to take away the lines and apply make up. 

Its a sh.te day here today. Been raining all day and no chance of getting out and about. At least in Thailand it’s warm rain. 

Back offshore next week with a a 10 hour drive to Aberdeen on Monday.  Looks like BA are starting again so hopefully last time of driving. 

Take care. 

I like the pics of south east Essex. So much history.

John Rogers is worth a look. Always in those areas.

There is a film called A13. Can get it on the internet.

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I like the pics of south east Essex. So much history.

John Rogers is worth a look. Always in those areas.

There is a film called A13. Can get it on the internet.

Cheers. Something to look at on a gloomy day 

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Not everyone's cup of rosy; Isaan.

There is a lady from our village, whose English husband thinks anything more that a day here is a waste of his life. He likes farang company, and if they are all sitting around a bar, then so much the better.

I've only spoken to one farang in the last two months. Isaan is not for everyone; but for me interesting and often exciting. Never boring.

So how does he get round it? Leaves her there whilst he stays in Pattaya? 

22 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I know if suggested the same arrangement as the guy, living in Pattaya, she would go along with it but I know in her heart she would want to be at home and I’m happy doing what we do. 

12 beers a day!! That’s some allowance. American?

Liverpool lad. Great sense of humour. The locals were trying to get him on the Lao Khao when he was here last. He took them up on their offer one night.

"Never again!" He told me when I went to his house next day. "Never again!" "But," said I, "look on the upside." "What upside?" "Next time you go poo poo, have a real good look at your offering. I bet you don't see any wrigglies. Lao Knao; as good as a box of worm-tablets."

"Never again!" Don't think he was listening.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

For me, it's not Issan, but farming and natural things. As someone brought up in a city and having a technical background, it's all alien to me.

Owl’s swing construction and ladder work not technical enough for ya ? ????

My wife owns a couple of blocks in her village so I have no doubt that’s where we’ll end up.

Im not really sure how I’ll go... I’m more of a coastal person by nature.

I think for me the biggest hurdle will be transport and lack of independence.

When we visit Thailand its planes, trains, minibuses, lots of waiting around. I’m more a grab my keys and go type.

At this point in time she’s not conducive to my riding a motorbike.

Edited by HighPriority
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 14-06-2020

Bit of a commotion outside a while ago. Some of the village children were pulling the fruit tree branches down and getting the fruit.

630253897_fruitpick01.jpg.3daaf39c1b0b90b7e416fb6bb87cd81a.jpg

Mrs Owl sorted them out, saying they were not ripe yet. Come back in a week. Although I was unsure of what she actually said but something along those lines.

This year, this particular tree has given a monster harvest. People do stop and look.

1891993772_fruitpick02.jpg.bdcc0aa3368fa0b3900513ea3caee156.jpg

Now I've got to put a net up at the front to protect the fruit.

The Mrs caught me with the frog. Not an easy dilemma to escape from. I said I felt sorry for it. "Ding dong farang. Grandmother food." " Can't we swap the frog for some snails teerak?" "You want Grandmother upset?"

More to follow.

Bye y'all.

Is that Lamyai ?

If so I would probably be giving the kids a leg up ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Is that Lamyai ?

If so I would probably be giving the kids a leg up ????

Yes! Lamyai. Very nice to eat.

Not sure about you helping the kids. Might get a whack from Mrs Owl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Hi Owl.

Are you getting much in the way of rain-has the drought finally broken?

It's on its way; that's for sure.

Last night we had rain for a couple of hours. Seemed like a lot but when we got to the farm the buckets, that collect rainwater from the house roof, were only half full.

On the whole we are 20 inches down on what we should be. But you never know. Could have a wet second half.

• Like 2

I had to laugh @ your pig pic mate, my wife and I came home this arvo to find the Neighbour’s piglets having an afternoon snack at out place... they bolted back home when they saw us ! Gave us a laugh ????

I wish they had bought back our rubbish bin lid though... (we had a “bullet bin” in the kitchen and a couple of months ago the lid vanished one night, we suspect that a piglet ran back home with it stuck on its head ????)

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the rain ????????
And Millys probably got a better camera on her Mobi than any camera you’ve ever owned, ask her about filters to make you even more hansum ???? I’m not sure about filters to make Mrs Owl more agreeable though... live in hope... ????????????

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I had to laugh @ your pig pic mate, my wife and I came home this arvo to find the Neighbour’s piglets having an afternoon snack at out place... they bolted back home when they saw us ! Gave us a laugh ????

I wish they had bought back our rubbish bin lid though... (we had a “bullet bin” in the kitchen and a couple of months ago the lid vanished one night, we suspect that a piglet ran back home with it stuck on its head ????)

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the rain ????????
And Millys probably got a better camera on her Mobi than any camera you’ve ever owned, ask her about filters to make you even more hansum ???? I’m not sure about filters to make Mrs Owl more agreeable though... live in hope... ????????????

Very kind words HP. Much appreciated.

When I first came to the area where I'm now, a farang from Essex (Mark), had invested quite a lot of dosh in a pig farm over the back of us. We called it the London Farm; don't know why. One day a pig, at the farm, had a litter, and one poor little sod, had a deformed face. You should have seen it. I kid you not, something like 200 people came to the farm after word got around. On the third day after birth, a pick-up will balloons showed. The one where you threw darts to burst a balloon and win a teddy.

Unfortunately the baby pig died; probably with breathing difficulties, due to the deformation. But not before many Thais gleaned the lottery numbers from the piglet.

Can be a strange place; Isaan.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, sotonowl said:

How appropriate you mention pigs and Sheffield United in the same post, that's our nick name for them. You think they'll draw yet call yourself an Owl? C'mon Villa.????

I'm a real footy trivia person sotonowl. I didn't know that Owls called the Blades pigs. You live and learn. 

Could you explain why?

0-0

Acc' lives on

• Like 1

12 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I'm a real footy trivia person sotonowl. I didn't know that Owls called the Blades pigs. You live and learn. 

Could you explain why?

0-0

Acc' lives on

Normally I am a silent observer on this thread but having lived and worked in Sheffield for many years I can tell you that both sets of fans call each other pigs. I know not the reason why either but it is said that some Wednesdayites won't ever eat streaky bacon as it is red and white striped.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Could you explain why?

0-0

Acc' lives on

Certainly mate. It's all to do with the red and white stripes looking like streaky bacon. My cousin George (RIP) wouldn't eat bacon on a Sunday morning if Wednesday had lost and the unmentionables had won. Over the last 20 or so years they've reciprocated and call us the pigs as well. This was really to be expected as they usually copy us. For instance, did you know they also nicked our nickname when we discarded it for the Owls? Bramall Lane as well, we played there prior to the unmentionables being formed that was the football and cricket teams I mean.

But all this taking court action didn't come from us or the shoes off in the car park protests, that was all their own doing. LOL.????

• Like 1