Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Biggles would have approved!

Humans have evolved to eat leaves, roots and fruits etc. We are not equipped for grain products; but I do appreciate that Lao Kha is rice based. (I also developed a liking for single-malt whiskey. At 2 litres for 100 baht*, one could easily get into over-indulge mode.}

Ginger, onions and citrus fruits are as good as it gets, for us humans. Throw in a bit of 'how's your father', footy and the occasional lump of cheese, and we are in utopia.

* Most decent Nong Khai shops.

Single malt whiskey - 2 litres for 100 Baht? When someone mentions single malt, you think of Scotch.

What whiskey is at that price?

16 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Single malt whiskey - 2 litres for 100 Baht? When someone mentions single malt, you think of Scotch.

What whiskey is at that price?

It's 'best' single-malt; Lion 2000. Established by the French (I think) and continued by the Lao people after independence. Don't think the Scots had anything to do with it but they get everywhere, so who knows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Couldn't quite do it. A draw is not really any good to The Owls, but as long as Forest keep in that top 6 they'll be happy.  At the present time there seems little advantage in being at home. No crowd to get behind the home team.

My acc' (8) went down. Got the first 5, then Cherries let me down. Redeemed myself a little by getting the Brighton/Arsenal correct score.

To be quite honest the crowd really doesn't help the team at Hillsborough, it can become toxic if things aren't going our way and some of the players just can't handle it.

I watched the game on iFollow. We were the better team on the day but I thought we were going to get mugged, fortunately Connor Wickham stepped up to get us a point.

As for my bets yesterday I thought they were all down but when I looked at my account I'd actually made a few bob, not a lot as I'm not a big gambler but any profit is good right? Anyway, I checked my settled bets and I'd had 50p on Derby to win and both teams to score at 13/2, forgot I'd done the bet.

How do you bet Owl? Have you got a UK betting account? Is it illegal in Thailand? I wouldn't know as I've never felt the need to bet when I'm there.

18 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Not quite as it seems. It never is!

Before the COVID thing the daughter wanted to buy this fruit stall in BKK for 20k bhat.

received_610555272860939.thumb.jpeg.36994cc9a3dc40f597cf276215cea6d0.jpeg

Evidently it is quite busy; normally!! However, I could see problems ahead and said to wait until the virus dust settled.

Mrs Owl voiced my opinions to her daughter, who I understood was going to wait and see as I suggested.

That was the last I heard of it until last w/e, when the Mrs told me about the money being sent 3 months ago. Now I've found out that the other half of the 20k was borrowed from someone in our village.

I'm sure you'll qualify for fruit at family rates (plus the P&P)

• Like 1

A great example of Thai fish sharing and taking their turns at work for the good of others.

The catfish would slide onto the tiled area and swish about sending the food flying into the fish's mouths that were open expectantly. This was at Kham Chanod.

I had another vid' of ants carrying/pushing a potato crisp up a wall. About 20 involved. Unfortunately it's on the flash-drive that I can't open.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

A great example of Thai fish sharing and taking their turns at work for the good of others.

The catfish would slide onto the tiled area and swish about sending the food flying into the fish's mouths that were open expectantly. This was at Kham Chanod.

I had another vid' of ants carrying/pushing a potato crisp up a wall. About 20 involved. Unfortunately it's on the flash-drive that I can't open.

Couldn't upload the file in AVI form. Had to covert to mp4. But worth it; 20 seconds of magic.

Edited by owl sees all

18 hours ago, Sterling said:

I was able to right click on the video and download it locally to my Mac and watch it with VLC.

That's a LOT of fish!

Thanks for the suggestion. I did exactly the same as you and watched the video.

Just now my wife was telling me they've lost about 500kg of bla nin.

They've died in one of the ponds due to the lack of water - the rain being late, and it being too hot as well. They need to rely on the rain as there's nothing else where they are.

They have been desperately selling the fish on the markets everyday for weeks now, to try and prevent this happening.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I did exactly the same as you and watched the video.

Just now my wife was telling me they've lost about 500kg of bla nin.

They've died in one of the ponds due to the lack of water - the rain being late, and it being too hot as well. They need to rely on the rain as there's nothing else where they are.

They have been desperately selling the fish on the markets everyday for weeks now, to try and prevent this happening.

This is so distressing to hear.

Lack of oxygen, low water levels and correspondingly nitrate and ammonia levels rise. There is a stress disease (Streptococcus) that pla nin are susceptible to also. Once the disease sets in they can die in big numbers (although it could be just one isolated pond). Tell-tale signs are:

Have the dead fish got their mouths open? (lack of oxygen)

Is there any sign of poor quality skin? (Streptococcus)

Does it look like their eyes are bulging or blood-shot? (Streptococcus, water very warm)

I lost 1000 big fish - in just two days - a few years back. Almost certainly Streptococcus, brought on by water being too warm (over 30C) at the bottom of the pond. Surface water temperature is not so critical if there is sufficient depth. But less than about 80cm will see the high temperatures, we are experiencing, have a bigger effect.

This year, with the lack of rain, some fishes will suffer. Catfish are far hardier and will tolerate much poorer conditions than for pla nin.

Edited by owl sees all

50 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

This is so distressing to hear.

Lack of oxygen, low water levels and correspondingly nitrate and ammonia levels rise. There is a stress disease (Streptococcus) that pla nin are susceptible to also. Once the disease sets in they can die in big numbers (although it could be just one isolated pond). Tell-tale signs are:

Have the dead fish got their mouths open? (lack of oxygen)

Is there any sign of poor quality skin? (Streptococcus)

Does it look like their eyes are bulging or blood-shot? (Streptococcus, water very warm)

I lost 1000 big fish - in just two days - a few years back. Almost certainly Streptococcus, brought on by water being too warm (over 30C) at the bottom of the pond. Surface water temperature is not so critical if there is sufficient depth. But less than about 80cm will see the high temperatures, we are experiencing, have a bigger effect.

This year, with the lack of rain, some fishes will suffer. Catfish are far hardier and will tolerate much poorer conditions than for pla nin.

I couldn't give you specific answers at present to your questions. I haven't been to the farm myself.

If you remember, I've no understanding about any of these 'natural' things, apart from what I'm told, being in telecoms & IT. It would make me pretty useless as a farmer, which is fine by me.

Even right now my wife is still at the farm with the family helping to rescue the struggling fish, putting them into some large plastic tanks with a small pump to keep it oxygenated. She might be back about 10pm.

I see the ten-day weather forecast (weather.com) reckons there won't be any decent rain (in Udon) for another week.

• Like 2

An update from yesterday on the hundreds of bla nin that were dying.

There were five of the family last night scooping out the fish from the pond. There were at it all night, until 4am.

It turned out the fish were too far gone and had died already. The pump wasn't needed, but they're still in plastic tanks of water, ready to start selling later today and onwards.

Wife and son out sparko right now, until they go to the market in a couple of hours.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

An update from yesterday on the hundreds of bla nin that were dying.

There were five of the family last night scooping out the fish from the pond. There were at it all night, until 4am.

It turned out the fish were too far gone and had died already. The pump wasn't needed, but they're still in plastic tanks of water, ready to start selling later today and onwards.

Wife and son out sparko right now, until they go to the market in a couple of hours.

Sad indeed.

I have slowed fish deaths a good deal by casting salt into the pond. Talapia (pla nin) live quite happily with water that has a salt content. It can calm the fish, of they are unduly stressed.

Just mention it to Mrs Bluesofa. She probably knows all about it as she is probably packing the dead ones in salt, ready for sale at the market.

Is the market the one near Makro?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Sad indeed.

I have slowed fish deaths a good deal by casting salt into the pond. Talapia (pla nin) live quite happily with water that has a salt content. It can calm the fish, of they are unduly stressed.

Just mention it to Mrs Bluesofa. She probably knows all about it as she is probably packing the dead ones in salt, ready for sale at the market.

Is the market the one near Makro?

I just asked, and the answer was that the fish are packed with ice, but no salt. The idea of salt was dismissed - that's only needed if you're making bla ra!

The markets they go to now are on a casual basis - in nearby villages, (the parents used to go to Nong Bua market for years - a km east of the one near Makro, on the same road).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Great news re the rain Owl. 

I must check up on what my extended family are up to with their farm, I don’t know what they’ve planted, if at all...

VoA ??

please explain for the young and feeble of mind amongst us...

The VoA.

Voice of America. And one of the notorious 'dark sites' run by the CIA in Thailand.

Everyone knows about the goings on in these parts.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 25-06-2020

After me telling Bluesofa that there would not be any big rain 'til Tuesday, it bucketed down last night, starting at 23-00. Didn't last long though; just 30 minutes.

Owl, can you send some buckets over to Udon please?

It rained here twice last night. Noisily, but nowhere near heavy enough for any real use. Hopefully next week.

As an aside, the locals love the sound of the rain at night - helps them sleep! How they can say it's soothing, I have no idea.

For me, any noise wakes me up and keeps me awake.

Going back to when I had a GoGo bar.

There were half-a-dozen of the girls who stayed in a spare room upstairs. They slept on mattresses on the floor.

One month our water bill - usually about 300 Baht for the four-storey building - was over 3,000 Baht.

I spent a couple of days trying to find where a potential leak might be - unsuccessfully. When there was no water being used, the water meter didn't move one iota. No apparent leak.

I asked the mamasan if she had any ideas.

A few hours later we found the culprit: one of the dancers.

Turned out she had trouble sleeping, so turned the tap on in the sink in the girl's room. The running water was a 'nice relaxing sound', and she soon dozed off, with the water running all night.

Kept this up every night for a couple of weeks, until the mamasan discovered what she'd been up to.

Needless to say she had most of the 3,000 Baht water bill docked from her salary.

• Like 2