Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

On 4/9/2020 at 8:42 PM, HighPriority said:

I love the waft of a fire, dare I say burning eucas... ????

Me too mate . 

Glad to know i am not alone ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

@owl sees all

Your fish probably died from lack of oxigen. Used to fish with live bait we would keep fish under a running tap (not opened too much) before going fishing the next day.

Wish i could enjoy eating fish like pla nin. Ita cheap. But in general i dislike fish. Salmon tuna and cod excluded.

Bang on the money robblok. Not a nice way to die.

On the Thai comprehension/compliance issue... I’m currently teaching my wife to drive, she’s improving... ????

I explained something to her yesterday arvo as we were driving along, “Yes” she said.

”Is that yes, you understand or yes you not understand darling ?” ????

Of course the reply was “Yes, not understand...” ????????

”Then why say yes, when you mean no ?” No answer... ????

Reminds me of my mate Bill, often telling his wife that “she’s special” ????????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Hi Owl and fellow Isaanites..

There does not seem to be much talk about heavy and consistent rain.Seeing that it is now July-has the monsoon passed you by?

Hit and miss, a week with no rain and then a nice downpour so the rice fields and ponds are doing fine. Those of us who grow vegetables though have to resort to watering at times.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The last few years have not not kept to the rain god's master plan one little bit. This year generally has been a disaster for farmers.

Hi Owl (and Bannork) thanks for your replies.

Yes I was probably using the word "monsoon" rather loosely and more in line with 'wet season' as I liked to spice up my correspondence when I was living there with the odd Conrad-ism or two..????‍????

My Thai family's farms are all around Det Udom and nobody seems to be doing very well there at present...or so the wife tells me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Hi Owl (and Bannork) thanks for your replies.

Yes I was probably using the word "monsoon" rather loosely and more in line with 'wet season' as I liked to spice up my correspondence when I was living there with the odd Conrad-ism or two..????‍????

My Thai family's farms are all around Det Udom and nobody seems to be doing very well there at present...or so the wife tells me.

There is certainly a change in the weather up here. The wife tells me that when she was a child, every year there would be many instances of what she calls 'big rain' during the wet season. This would result in hours of rain and local flooding. This has not been the norm in recent years. I can only recall one such rain, as she describes, in my 12 years here.

The main reason why I decided to grow the euca trees (of course without the wife's 'OK' it wouldn't have got done) was to protect against the weather. In our area Ody, farmers have had disastrous years with sugar, rice, cassava and fish.

Weather is changing, and the historical patterns cannot now be relied on. Farmers all over Isaan are suffering, and maybe they will need to rethink their futures.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, A1Str8 said:

Killed your dog?? Well if it's okay to kill a dog, then it's okay to.....!

Well, it did kill a chicken. And he killed it very humanly (the wife told me).

On 6/21/2020 at 11:32 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, calling someone a “ palm healer “ does tend to lessen the blow somewhat !!

Or maybe I just misread what you were insinuating about our Owl ? ????

Palm healer ,  you mean lady massage.

I have found a good one in Ban Dung ..

3 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Oh, tell us more.????

OK ,  Soi behind Tesco lotus . blue door ...

However that said, with the easing of Covid panic regs ,

the lady now shares her time between Soi Sampun ,, and the village .

Good old days , a joy to remember . 555

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Many moons ago when I went talapia fishing I found that the tiny freshwater shrimps (gung foi) worked best. I usually used a fishing whip (pole). 

Caught five today.

Used the feeder bait. I do agree about the shrimp. Also there is a small fish the Thais call silv (they might mean silver), a couple of those on the hook sorts out the biggies. I've been trying to get hold of 'spam' or 'luncheon meat' in a can. I think this would be good. Certainly catches carp in Europe and USA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Caught five today.

Used the feeder bait. I do agree about the shrimp. Also there is a small fish the Thais call silv (they might mean silver), a couple of those on the hook sorts out the biggies. I've been trying to get hold of 'spam' or 'luncheon meat' in a can. I think this would be good. Certainly catches carp in Europe and USA.

I went fishing a couple of times in the large Lake in the village but didn’t have any idea of which bait to use. What are the seeds on your pics? Is bread any good? Watching the locals it looks like they were using worms but not sure. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 12-07-2020

That was the week that was.

Confrontation with bus driver. Dog goes on killing mission. Little kitten hanging in there; just. Amazon kois missing. Fishing again. Poor educational tool exposed. Rice farm nearly ploughed up; again.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The three-coloured kitten is still with us. Don't know how! Don't like mother's milk. Don't like cow's milk. And unlike twin brother, ginger, has no love for the new Big C fish-in-a-can.

683678157_kittens0001.jpg.dd7a3e3c7e4fa9a9c5db75e33da8acde.jpg

Mildred looks after them as best she can. But what can she do when the tiny kitten has a death wish. Poor little sod.

1673879105_kittens0002.jpg.afe5ab8b3f07add0928ac52b2d340978.jpg

1500947833_kittens0005.jpg.1f8493ae5de581dcf44c3bfa3846e21e.jpg

Every day I'm thinking it will be its last. Sad!

Went to Ban Dung in the week. While Mrs Owl was thriftily splashing the dosh in 7/11, I took off to Amazon cafe to snap the fish and waterfall. No fish! No Waterfall!

1521465678_fishgone02.jpg.9eae2e66a50d9be26a0301814289af60.jpg

1650023906_fishgone01.jpg.2dbe2a0d42565ff1b3448ce063a4de64.jpg

I went inside and asked the lady where all the kois had gone. I thought she understood. "Ice cream - you want?" I just thanked her and came out. No point in asking anything more. They have been very quiet at the cafe recently. The water was not running for the waterfall. Perhaps they sold the kois to help pay the rent!

Mrs Owl didn't cover herself in glory with the fish she was looking after on Tuesday; letting them all perish, so yesterday we went talapia fishing again. Caught 6.

815114460_fishingwithmilly02.jpg.05ad3ec7bde8ac1bbc7bf296fd353d14.jpg

We had some bait left over. Put it in the freezer last evening and took it our about three hours ago. Gonna fish again this afternoon (Sunday).

1902954454_fishbait.jpg.9ef6c8ed1d19e5c246855b82ca702572.jpg

Should be OK. Pla nin not too fussy.

The husky dog got off it's leash and came to our part of the village this morning. I heard a commotion and went outside. A couple of dogs were arguing over a freshly killed chicken. When they saw me they ran off, but husky ran into our yard and round the back of the house. Mrs Owl went clock-wise round the house and chased it out. I tried to get a whack in, with the broom, but it raced away to the down-town area of the village. Just too slow to teach the dog a lesson. I don't trust this dog. Once they start to kill; they keep on.

559537610_deadchicken.jpg.a8857d29e591600e9808cdc5df74436b.jpg

Done a big shop in Big C. I was correct in my thinking that the store was phasing out their brand-name cat food. All that was on offer was the new stuff.

1350486158_newcatfood.jpg.df65871d1a8f065e599ea11f43c00009.jpg

Charkie likes it, and at 27 baht a can, it's not too expensive. Old food, before going on special, 34 baht.

Milly went to Nangs (corner shop) for some sweets. She gave me one, and it tasted OK. But!! The wrapping. Just so wrong. I explained to her about dice, and she was as bemused as me. I thought of going to Trading Standards, but then thought; what's the point?

1709221776_dice01.jpg.1f485ab7b31a474ef11fa3e0138c31d9.jpg

All the children were off school on Monday and Tuesday, so it was back on Wednesday. Bus picked her up empty at 6-30 on the first two days, but on Friday, it showed at 6-15. Milly was only half way through her brekkies. Mrs Owl; "Ask him why he is so early." They spoke for a minute. "He has to go to a meeting." Really!!. "Ask him why Mildred gets picked up first and dropped off last?" Another big chat. Anyway in the afternoon, the bus arrived at 4-45, full up with kids. So Milly was being dropped off first. Must have had something to do with the morning talks. But too late. I gave him 300 baht and the Mrs told him we will not be using him again. So from Monday, I'll be taking her to school, and bringing her home, About 40km a trip; twice a day. 400km a week. Not ideal; but better for M.

The misses was telling me that our rice was dying. The only remedy was to re-plough and sow again. Sister Pook offered her advice, and also her kabota and husband's services for this. Under sufferance; I said 'OK'. Later, Mrs Owl went to see her mum and on the way spoke to the 'fat sister', (There are two sisters; one fat and one slim. Don't know their names; we just know them as the 'fat sister' or the 'slim sister'.) who told her (Mrs Owl) not to fret, the rice will be fine. So I'm informed that we will not now re-plough.

More to follow.

Bye y'all. 

kittens 0004.jpg

The misses was telling me that our rice was dying. The only remedy was to re-plough and sow again. Sister Pook offered her advice, and also her kabota and husband's services for this. Under sufferance; I said 'OK'. Later, Mrs Owl went to see her mum and on the way spoke to the 'fat sister', (There are two sisters; one fat and one slim. Don't know their names; we just know them as the 'fat sister' or the 'slim sister'.) who told her (Mrs Owl) not to fret, the rice will be fine. So I'm informed that we will not now re-plough.

i seem to remember your wife putting fish in a bucket and them, obviously, dying. does she actually know about farming or does she make it up as she goes along?!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I went fishing a couple of times in the large Lake in the village but didn’t have any idea of which bait to use. What are the seeds on your pics? Is bread any good? Watching the locals it looks like they were using worms but not sure. 

The 'seeds' in the pic are fish food pellets. They get fed every day with a few handfuls. So they know the smell and taste. 

1902954454_fishbait.jpg.9ef6c8ed1d19e5c246855b82ca702572.jpg

Dampen the food and roll it into little balls (see pic). Bread is not a good bait for talapia. Worms are OK, but if there are tiddlers in the pond they pull and snatch at the dangling worm, giving lots of promise but no fish. The reason to roll the bait into balls is to make it impossible for the tiddlers to take it away.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Fancy reading reports and looking on t'internet, seems pretty outdated.

You need to spend more time listening to a fortune teller, I get the impression Mrs Owl would approve of their convincing stories. Then you can both be of the same mind.

I must be in need of a second coffee........................ I read that as they "can both be of sound mind".

I have slapped myself accordingly......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I must be in need of a second coffee........................ I read that as they "can both be of sound mind".

I have slapped myself accordingly......

I thought that was only applicable in will-writing jargon?

Edited by bluesofa

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Just back from taking Mildred to school. Exactly 35km round trip.

Checked your link chickenlegs. I am horrified. Thirty four grammes for 435 baht. A can of cat food is only 27 baht and that weighs in at 400g. No wonder I can't find it on the shelves in Big C or Tescos; no-one would buy it. Like Philadelphia cheese! At 160 baht, no-one wanted it, and I only bought it when its sell-by date had nearly passed and the price was just half. Now it's gone altogether.  

On 7/8/2020 at 9:03 PM, elliss said:

OK ,  Soi behind Tesco lotus . blue door ...

However that said, with the easing of Covid panic regs ,

the lady now shares her time between Soi Sampun ,, and the village .

Good old days , a joy to remember . 555

Is that the soi behind the big Tesco (opposite Big C)? Can't find it. Blue door! Sure you don't mean Tesco rear entrance?

Or have I got it wrong, and you mean the soi behind the little Tesco, along by Big C and seven/eleven!? I'm gonna check it out tomorrow.

Anyway!! Thanks for the info'. She sounds exciting.

• Haha 2