Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

21 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Just back from taking Mildred to school. Exactly 35km round trip.

Checked your link chickenlegs. I am horrified. Thirty four grammes for 435 baht. A can of cat food is only 27 baht and that weighs in at 400g. No wonder I can't find it on the shelves in Big C or Tescos; no-one would buy it. Like Philadelphia cheese! At 160 baht, no-one wanted it, and I only bought it when its sell-by date had nearly passed and the price was just half. Now it's gone altogether.  

Have to correct myself.

That should read 340 grammes not 34. Very expensive food; even for a human; let alone for fish.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Is the sole reason it's better for Mildred due to inconsistent pick up/drop off times, or is there something else too?

Do you feel the driver drives safely and is responsible taking care of the kids generally?

A couple of points to be answered there bluesofa.

IMO getting picked up first and dropped off last, was not fair. Milly was complaining to me that there was rowdiness in the pick-up, even with a lady (driver's wife) sitting at the rear. Also the pick-up had an exhaust problem; it smelled. Not so bad when on the go I guess, but with the stop/go nature of picking up and dropping off children, it seemed unhealthy to me breathing in the fumes.

By all accounts the driver was safe and steady; so no prob's there. 

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Tells us more about this business idea Owl. Don't keep us in suspenders like that!

It's to do with de-weeding around the euca trees.

Mrs owl says her sister Pook could weed around all the euca trees in a week; using a chog-chog (hoe). I said, "how long to do one tree?" "Two minutes." Right then. A little maths. 30 an hour, and a 8 hours day!! That 240 trees a day. We have just over 10,000.

"Mrs Owl; that 7 day estimate is unrealistic. At that rate" (one in two minutes), "it will take a month at least."

"I think a week"

"It's impossible."

"I think you good numbers for teach, but not mean anything. Pook is good work. Not rest."

996376429_cutroundeuca01.jpg.b8aae05792a25b2ce06a5120baaad417.jpg

The debate fizzled out at this point.

So, I got to thinking; how could we speed things up and retain some safety for the little trees? I came up with two completely different ideas. One using cola bottles, but environmentally dodgy at this time of year; but OK for later on in the season. The other held promise. I was optimistic. Still am.

Took me back to my working days in water management. I drew out the plans in a few hours, and presented them to 'Fix Cola' this morning.

Hav'n't told the wife I've been to see them yet.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Great stuff pineapple01. Good you remember it.

Mrs Dale's Diary ran for over twenty years. I'd like to be reporting the 'Owl Log' in 2040.

Your not Jim Dale  by any chance. Strange, but i could never watch the likes of East Enders, Coronation Street etc but Emerdale, The Archers  were folks i had something in common with. That Grange Hill program made me want to put a brick through the TV.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2020 at 5:26 PM, samsensam said:

But!! The wrapping. Just so wrong. I explained to her about dice, and she was as bemused as me. I thought of going to Trading Standards, but then thought; what's the point?

You mean that the 2 is on an adjacent side to the 5 instead of being opposite? Opposite sides should add up to 7.????

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 2:54 AM, owl sees all said:

Just back from taking Mildred to school. Exactly 35km round trip.

How long does that take Owl?

Also, whilst I'm on, I don't suppose the fish would take the cat food would they?

Edited by sotonowl

19 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

You mean that the 2 is on an adjacent side to the 5 instead of being opposite? Opposite sides should add up to 7.????

Precisely!

These sweets are popular. Kids look at the wrappings and are sent poor messages. But what can we do? When the children grow older and get stuck into that 'high/low' dice game, they will be so confused.

98968807_dicecloseup.jpg.b57225b5d814d0d00f5d0683d24cf1c1.jpg

Five should be opposite two, and six opposite one; not number three.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

How long does that take Owl?

Also, whilst I'm on, I don't suppose the fish would take the cat food would they?

If I go straight to the school and turn around quickly, I'm back in about 65 minutes.

####

They probably would.

When in England carp fishing, we would mix up all sorts of concoctions to catch the viathons, Mixing cat food with other ingredients was a common practice. Then boilies arrived and the art of making carp baits sort of died out.

I liked luncheon meat and cooked (roasted) chicken, as I could snack on the bait.

There was a medicine called 'Minadex' that was a good attractor. Unfortunately tench liked it also.

At the w/e I'm gonna try little cubes of bacon, which is in the fridge.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

They probably would.

When in England carp fishing, we would mix up all sorts of concoctions to catch the viathons, Mixing cat food with other ingredients was a common practice. Then boilies came arrived and the art of making carp baits sort of died out.

I liked luncheon meat and cooked (roasted) chicken, as I could snack on the bait.

There was a medicine called 'Minadex' that was a good attractor. Unfortunately tench liked it also.

At the w/e I'm gonna try little cubes of bacon, which is in the fridge.

Ham bologna is virtually the same as luncheon meat and is about 75 baht for 250g in 7/11, Tesco, etc.

I like the version with chillies, but I guess the fish wouldn't.

image.jpeg.79f393e5421ff5d7cba6c9c04323e47b.jpegimage.jpeg.76ab2e01bae419e7155857e726b52088.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

Ham bologna is virtually the same as luncheon meat and is about 75 baht for 250g in 7/11, Tesco, etc.

I like the version with chillies, but I guess the fish wouldn't.

image.jpeg.79f393e5421ff5d7cba6c9c04323e47b.jpegimage.jpeg.76ab2e01bae419e7155857e726b52088.jpeg

Bang on the money as usual chickenlegs.

I eat both of those. I like the chillies taken out when Mrs Owl is making a toast sarnie. Can be a bit hot for me.

The fish are gonna love 'em.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money as usual chickenlegs.

I eat both of those. I like the chillies taken out when Mrs Owl is making a toast sarnie. Can be a bit hot for me.

The fish are gonna love 'em.

I love experimenting with different Carp Baits. Used to mix some marmite into some of the meat based ones. Had a lot of success with Luncheon meat last Summer. If I’m still stuck here next month (very likely) I will get the rods out again. Sweet corn is still A popular bait here. Ever tried that over there?

8 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I love experimenting with different Carp Baits. Used to mix some marmite into some of the meat based ones. Had a lot of success with Luncheon meat last Summer. If I’m still stuck here next month (very likely) I will get the rods out again. Sweet corn is still A popular bait here. Ever tried that over there?

Caught my biggest English carp at Hainault in 1977. Luncheon meat the bait and the mirror weighed in at 20 3/4lbs. My most successful year was 1979 when I bagged 40 doubles from different places, but mostly from Hainault and Dagenham Police Pit.

Sweetcorn was always in my bait box. Used it a lot in Spain for the reservoir barbel (yes barbel) and carp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Caught my biggest English carp at Hainault in 1977. Luncheon meat the bait and the mirror weighed in at 20 3/4lbs. My most successful year was 1979 when I bagged 40 doubles from different places, but mostly from Hainault and Dagenham Police Pit.

Sweetcorn was always in my bait box. Used it a lot in Spain for the reservoir barbel (yes barbel) and carp.

Sweet corn ever used in Thailand?

6 hours ago, faraday said:

Nice pictures, looks like you had a good time; fruit & yoghurt for lunch, top marks for eating healthily. ????

£70,000 for a beach hut - unbelievable! :shock1:

I remember some very happy times long ago. Going to the beach in Felixstowe with Mum & my sister, & getting changed in a beach hut. Freezing cold water, overcast dull sky, but wonderfully happy....*just for a moment, I was there*

Yes ridiculous money and basically just a small box and not allowed to stay in them overnight. Watching people sitting outside and having their lunch looking out to the sea, I can see the attraction but for that money I can think of a few things I would rather buy in Thailand. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Hi Od. Not bad thanks for asking. I’m a week into a 3 week break. Still plenty of COVID nonsense going on. Can’t even sit in a coffee shop yet or even outside one !  Queues for everything.  I still don’t know anyone who has had it. Even over here. 

The family are ok life seems pretty simple and normal for them. We speak every day.  Today she’s mentioned the Egyptian a time Rayong so I guess that’s in the news over there. I said yes it’s the epicentre of the worlds Covid with one case. She didn’t get it. 

I got my self a bike. I love to walk but the arthritis Is catching up so it’s one day walking and one on the bike. Went out today and did about 30 mile. I’m no Assurance, and my ar.se hurts like hell. As a tribute I took some snaps with the bike in. Promise I won’t do it  again ???? He would be proud 

As always click and go so no editing or levelling off etc.  

I cycled along the cycle track along the Thames from Benfleet creek to Old Leigh on Sea stopping at  the cockle sheds then onto Chalkwell Southend and finally Shoeburyness. 

Very enjoyable lunch of fruit and yoghurt with granola in case your wondering what about in the box. 

Believe it or not one of those beach huts at Shoebury sells for £70,000!  Saw two sell last year. How the other half live eh.

8B4FA68B-AEFA-44D1-92B7-32A8531A23C6.jpeg

796DF71E-0AA0-4475-9E07-3DFFF3DD172A.jpeg

752605E3-CB52-45C5-93F7-ED2AD63FE5A1.jpeg

72EBE1D2-6A06-4599-92C7-D1D8F69CCA69.jpeg

6B665D51-DE4D-49FC-88E5-BFF159813703.jpeg

020DD830-D2E5-4A3B-8BAB-722B8C3F4C21.jpeg

0B96FDF2-9973-4EB6-932D-039E571A5276.jpeg

9CBD4470-2E1C-4B66-BDD8-3BB4B3417C15.jpeg

23B9539C-6DFD-4729-954A-8DC23ADD7A59.jpeg

AD265525-8A7E-45B7-9161-CE1D5D029545.jpeg

F15D6ABB-3A88-4D6A-824D-05884B417504.jpeg

4B8233A4-A431-4E35-AD7C-9916148DA1B0.jpeg

Making me feel homesick.

A dash cam is definitely worth it nowadays with the number of scammers about trying for an easy pay day.

I bought a Viofo A119S last year on recommendation from dashcamtalk.com

They do constant reviews and updates and have a "Best of" every year with several recommendations based on your usage.

For you USB flash drive, have you tried booting up a computer into Linux and seeing if it can read your files?

If you have a computer with an optical drive, just download an Ubuntu ISO, burn it to CD, boot the computer from the CD and see if that will read your flash drive. Good luck!

Edited by Sterling
misspelling
  • Like 1