Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

35 minutes ago, Sterling said:

A dash cam is definitely worth it nowadays with the number of scammers about trying for an easy pay day.

I bought a Viofo A119S last year on recommendation from dashcamtalk.com

They do constant reviews and updates and have a "Best of" every year with several recommendations based on your usage.

For you USB flash drive, have you tried booting up a computer into Linux and seeing if it can read your files?

If you have a computer with an optical drive, just download an Ubuntu ISO, burn it to CD, boot the computer from the CD and see if that will read your flash drive. Good luck!

Do I have to find a computer with Linux running? Or can I load it on mine? I've got plenty of space (800,000 gig).

Edited by owl sees all

If you burn the Linux ISO to CD, you dont even have to install it on your PC.

Just boot the computer off of the CD and it will run there temporarily. Long enough for you to plug in the wonky USB drive to see if you can get your files off it and copied onto a 2nd USB drive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Do I have to find a computer with Linux running? Or can I load it on mine? I've got plenty of space (800,000 gig).

Have to correct myself. Not 800,000 gig. No, just 800 gig.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Yes well!

Mrs Owl said she will start selling the lottery tickets around the villages next month to get some money. "Gonna go on your cycle teerak."

"I take pick-up." "I need new man who can good look after family."

Another day another idea. 

"Right you are then. I'm no good any more?"

"You are rubbish farang. No money."

Half hour later made me a nice cup of rosy. Everything seems calm now.

If you don’t mind me asking Owl, how many years together?

15 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

If you don’t mind me asking Owl, how many years together?

Thirteen years this year. Mildred will be eleven in October.

Thirteen years of misery; punctuated by nice cups of rosy, and the occasional decent footy score (sorry TBL).

Milly is my life. And the kois, and eucas of course. Oh yes! English footy (especially if I win). And I know that if I'm down and sad, Charkie will come lay next to me; until Mrs Owl gets jealous and chucks her off the bed.

As my father once said; "take great care in making your bed son. You have to lay in it."

What are you doing up at this time? Still celebrating the Iron's win?!

Edited by owl sees all

32 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Thirteen years this year. Mildred will be eleven in October.

Thirteen years of misery; punctuated by nice cups of rosy, and the occasional decent footy score (sorry TBL).

Milly is my life. And the kois, and eucas of course. Oh yes! English footy (especially if I win). And I know that if I'm down and sad, Charkie will come lay next to me; until Mrs Owl gets jealous and chucks her off the bed.

As my father once said; "take great care in making your bed son. You have to lay in it."

What are you doing up at this time? Still celebrating the Iron's win?!

Probably celebrating Leeds making it to the Premier League ?? ( yup, doubt it ????).

Another point on Sunday from Derby and will be champions too.

Sorry TBL 

( not really )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sorry TBL 

( not really )

Oh..that's so sad...????

Now..looking at Kadilo's photos of Essex I am reminded of the historical fact that the 'Mayflower' puritans came from-in the main-a small group of villages in Essex.It's amazing that football (or soccer if you are Antipodean) never caught on across the pond.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Oh..that's so sad...????

Now..looking at Kadilo's photos of Essex I am reminded of the historical fact that the 'Mayflower' puritans came from-in the main-a small group of villages in Essex.It's amazing that football (or soccer if you are Antipodean) never caught on across the pond.

It caught on recently. Since about 1950, the USA has gradually improved their footy.

The yanks watched our girls play netball and after a few minor adjustments it morphed into basketball. Cricket became baseball, and rugby turned into American Football.

There is no hope for them Ody. Didn't even understand Tommy Cooper (his tricks don't seem to be working). 

But for me; the biggest crime, is putting the handle of a fishing reel on the right.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

I’ll give it a try. All the lads I worked with were taking Melatonin. I was up to 5 tablets a night at one time and never made a difference, but I’m up for trying anything that works. 

I can't get on with Melatonin gave me bad dreams.

Valerian always gives me great sleep with awesome dreams.

Then of course, there are Benzos, but as I'm sure you know, they need to be treated with caution.

24 minutes ago, faraday said:

I can't get on with Melatonin gave me bad dreams.

Valerian always gives me great sleep with awesome dreams.

Then of course, there are Benzos, but as I'm sure you know, they need to be treated with caution.

I was buying Xanax when I was over there. Done the trick but no good long term. 

3 hours ago, bannork said:

Sorry to change the topic from drug taking lads, stick to beer followed by 2 shots of whisky if you want to sleep well, imo.

Is this the room for complaints?

I wanna complain about the weather. This is supposed to be the height of the rainy season and there's nothing but relentless sunshine 12 hours a day.

These droughts are becoming a pattern, I hope not.

Rant over.

I always found (in the distant past) that action with a good woman is the best way to get to sleep. It's nature's way of getting the male to stay put after the act; well at least until the female has made a bit of grub and a nice drink.

Next week is officially the start of the 'monsoon' season in our area. Only 60 minutes of rain here since the night of July 2/3 The weather systems have been turned on their heads.

You are well established in Isaan now bannork. What you up to? Any pics for sharing?

12 minutes ago, bannork said:

Lots to say regarding the farm and plenty of photos, just a question of finding the time to get it all together.

Daily schedule (no days off). Today for instance.

Out the door at 6.30 post breakfast to feed the hens ( layers).

6.45- feed the fish ( 2000 plus) , (need to buy a meat grinder to feed them economy meal (shredded Napier grass, rice bran and fish food หัวอาหาร).

7.00 - cut and shred Napier grass for our cows, cut sweet Israel grass too.

Water tree saplings beyond the sprinklers. 

9.30 - back to the house fir further breakfast ( mackerel and sticky rice).

10:15 back to the farm ( 1 km away from house) to fertilize banana trees ( 280 in all), 2 and a half kilos of cow manure per tree.

12.00 back hone for lunch and siesta 2.00 pm -Feed chickens, collect eggs, continue banana trees' fertilization.

4.00 - home for tea and sandwiches.

5.00- back to the farm, feed the fish, continue banana fertilization.

6.00- home for dinner and beer. 

We have a shop right in the middle of the village so sales are constant from 6.00 am to 8.00 pm.

Wow!

Makes my life positively mundane.

2 hours ago, bannork said:

Lots to say regarding the farm and plenty of photos, just a question of finding the time to get it all together.

Daily schedule (no days off). Today for instance.

Out the door at 6.30 post breakfast to feed the hens ( layers).

6.45- feed the fish ( 2000 plus) , (need to buy a meat grinder to feed them economy meal (shredded Napier grass, rice bran and fish food หัวอาหาร).

7.00 - cut and shred Napier grass for our cows, cut sweet Israel grass too.

Water tree saplings beyond the sprinklers. 

9.30 - back to the house fir further breakfast ( mackerel and sticky rice).

10:15 back to the farm ( 1 km away from house) to fertilize banana trees ( 280 in all), 2 and a half kilos of cow manure per tree.

12.00 back hone for lunch and siesta 2.00 pm -Feed chickens, collect eggs, continue banana trees' fertilization.

4.00 - home for tea and sandwiches.

5.00- back to the farm, feed the fish, continue banana fertilization.

6.00- home for dinner and beer. 

We have a shop right in the middle of the village so sales are constant from 6.00 am to 8.00 pm.

My MIL has about 20 hens and she wants more but the supplier she used seems to have gone missing. They came from a long way away so maybe just ignoring her.
Any idea where she can buy again. I believe the last lot were about 200 baht each. 

2 hours ago, bannork said:

Kadilo, where is your mother-in-law?

A nice dose of heavy rain tonight. The first for a long time. Every plant and tree is grateful, along with the weeds.

Step up to the plate, rainy season, don't let up.

She’s up in Bueng Kan Province. I hear today she has lost some through sickness too. She’s wanting to buy another 20 I think. 

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Absolutely stonking pics. I especially like the last one. But they are all great.

How is the water situation in your parts Ody? Here in our part of Isaan the situation is dire. We have had just 60 minutes of rain since the night of 2nd July; three weeks ago.

Just jumping in front of Ody for a minute:

I see you say we've only had 60 minutes of rain in the past three weeks.

From some of your posts, I always feel you seem to have more than us in Udon, although I think we've had about the same very recently.

• Like 1