Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log 20-11-2019

Took a pic of the bin that a couple of you lads were inquiring about. 

576025887_Rubbishbin.thumb.JPG.065074bc2945fa3a1712965679aecf57.JPG

Most of the dogs try to get into the bins at night. This was the first time for ages that ours had been attacked. The green open one is used for leaves and twigs, so is not of interest to the dogs. There is a group of a dozen dogs in our short road. They have not formed into a pack; yet!

{snipped}

IIRC, aren't those bins in your photo above, tyres that have been forced inside-out?

Or was I hallucinating on your home-made dodgy Lao Cao?

On 11/18/2019 at 11:29 PM, neeray said:

The catfish would be good for the monks; no scaling, just pull the skin back and you got your meat.

I remember doing this as a teenager.

(catching catfish and cooking on a camp stove).

Sorry neeray! I probably didn't explain myself as well as I should have. The donated mekongs would be for their pond. If i thought they were going to eat them I wouldn't consider giving.

Went to the temple pond yesterday, and have changed my mind. There is so little water. No more than a metre deep anywhere. Another severe dry season and the mekongs would struggle.

When I bought them from a fish farm, they were just 5 cm long. Now the biggest goes 1.4 metres.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, geronimo said:

This was a 53kg beauty I caught. Released of course ...

24092013931.jpg

Fantastic!

My biggest is 35kg from Bansumran.  Mrs Owl caught one weighing 33kg from the Pattaya fishing park. A long while ago now (12 years).

SN850013.thumb.JPG.eea958de205c883c6bbc0cfde16d8e42.JPGSN11.thumb.jpg.a3e2e738a2092a760b754c19e90e6d15.jpg

Hooked it at 17-50 and landed it in the dark at 19-05. Note the harness! I caught a 7kg common carp on the same day.

There was a decent fishing park at the end on soi 14 or 16 in Jontiem. I heard it had been filled in to create a bungee attraction; anyone?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Fantastic!

My biggest is 35kg from Bansumran.  Mrs Owl caught one weighing 33kg from the Pattaya fishing park. A long while ago now (12 years).

SN850013.thumb.JPG.eea958de205c883c6bbc0cfde16d8e42.JPGSN11.thumb.jpg.a3e2e738a2092a760b754c19e90e6d15.jpg

Hooked it at 17-50 and landed it in the dark at 19-05. Note the harness! I caught a 7kg common carp on the same day.

There was a decent fishing park at the end on soi 14 or 16 in Jontiem. I heard it had been filled in to create a bungee attraction; anyone?

I used to fish at Shadow Lake near Nakon Pathom, yet heard it has gone to the dogs.

On 11/20/2019 at 12:28 AM, jimn said:

Each to his own life I suppose. But living in Issan like the OP sounds like a living version of hell. I take my wife up to the village twice a year and only spend 1 night there in a hotel. I cant wait to get away from the village. If she wants to see her family more I encourage her to go alone on the bus.

I didn't mind living in the village. I had planned to grow stuff, but the nephews that lived with granny put paid to that chapter of my life.

Anyone that thinks living in the country is quiet hasn't lived in a Thai village. Monks with amplified chanting extremely early in the morning, and the talking petrol pump put paid to any thought of a relaxing life.

• Haha 2

Don't forget the sounds related to ceremonies. Can be related to wedding, passing away from relatives, boys / men joining the monkhood, 100 days ceremonies and so on. To give the ceremony more 'prestige' very loud music is played, usually starting early in the morning and continuing till late. Then of course there is the sound of drunk people going home on their motorbikes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/18/2019 at 12:17 PM, owl sees all said:

The big mekongs are in pond #5 (from the left).

Do you ever  see them? I had 4 but never  see them, understand they are  bottom feeders? They are in with other  fish, Tilipia, Silver  Barb, Jaramet, and normal catfish, they went in at 5 inches  long, havent seen them since 2-3 years ago? Maybe dead?

• Like 1