Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

Well, I've just read that Smith ( that's his first name, forgot his surname), the man who predicted the tsunami in Thailand, has said there is unlikely to be any rain in the north and north east until the end of August or early September. This is due to the non arrival of humidity from the North Pole.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Well, I've just read that Smith ( that's his first name, forgot his surname), the man who predicted the tsunami in Thailand, has said there is unlikely to be any rain in the north and north east until the end of August or early September. This is due to the non arrival of humidity from the North Pole.

Sad news that.

Smith obviously knows what he is talking about.

I say rain before the end of July.

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Yeah keep it going guys. 
Trust me it is most appreciated to see and hear the goings on in Isaan as well as people’s stories past and present.  Especially for those of us stuck where we dont particularly wish to be ????

When you are next in Basildon, why not take a bike ride over to Aquatels? A few pics would be nice. Fished there a few times and did OK. 

It's a relatively new fishery. Flooded in 1976 from a brook that was always flooding. You probably know it well Kadilo. Speaking to the converted I'm sure.

Up the Irons.

Edited by owl sees all

16 minutes ago, faraday said:

You might have a Knighthood, Sir Owl, but I am not gonna kiss your ring!

????

Mrs Owl would not like it anyway.

She would grab you where it hurts.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, owl sees all said:
41 minutes ago, faraday said:

You might have a Knighthood, Sir Owl, but I am not gonna kiss your ring!

????

Mrs Owl would not like it anyway.

She would grab you where it hurts.

Something to do with the chain of orifice office?

• Like 2

On 7/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, bannork said:

I’m interested in this Smith and his powers ?

12 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Further to your post earlier I decided spontaneously to change my daily planned hike and do some undercover work re Aquatels on foot. 

Your post struck a chord with me as I recall the name and as lad and knew it to be a well stocked Carp Lake and although I never personally fished it, I knew where it was. 

My fishing youth was spent mostly at Stanford Le Hope Warren and Grangewaters at South Ockendon. 

Anyhow, I set off towards Basildon and decided to go to Aquatels via Gloucester Park. I have not been to this Park since my son was a lad. It used to be huge but I was aware that there had been lots of housing built in the area so wasn’t sure if it had changed. It also had a lovely fishing lake which although from memory wasn’t overly stocked, it was in a nice setting and the type where you could take your kids when they first started out. 

To my pleasant surprise, the Park and Lake were still there. The Park was smaller than I recall and now there is a large amount of housing in the perimeter with numerous cycle routes, some of which went round the Lake. There were a number of people fishing, some looking like Carp Pros with their bivvies and Carp Rods/alarms. I found a nice spot overlooking the Lake and had my breakfast of yoghurt with red/green grapes, strawberries and blueberries. Lush. 

At the back of the Gloucester Park they have built a new Leisure Park called Basildon Sporting Village. It was built with the help of a lottery grant in prep for the 2012 London Olympics and incorporated a new 49m Pool. The Chinese were to use it as their training base for the Olympics. 

It was closed still due to COVID but managed to get a snap against the window. 

Onwards and Upwards to the area I remember as Aquatels. As I thought may be the case the large Lake is now a Watersports Centre and an Aqua Gym. They have lots of cables for people to train for water boarding as seen in the pics. I tried to make my way around the Lake but it was shut off to the Public. 

I could see an area to the left of the Lake that didn’t seem to be used for the Watersports and although I couldn't see anyone fishing it looked like a prime Carp Fishing area. So I left the premises of the Watersports place, with a few funny looks, and made my way back to the Holiday Inn Hotel and walked behind in their Car Park. There as a tall fence but I could see an area that was out with of the Watersports area that looked like a fishing area although no one was there. There was a gate with a combination lock on which I assume is the way in, although there were no signs to highlight it was a Fishing Lake or who owned it. 

So sadly Owl, no real nostalgia snaps. My best guess is that most of previous Aquatels Lake is now run by this Watersports company with the exception of a smallish area to the left that still looks fishable, but by who and how I’m not sure. 

Made my way back home via Gloucester Park again and enjoyed the views and plenty of people on their bikes and joggers. 

Round trip of 18 miles. Very enjoyable. Now I know a bit more I will use the cycle routes to return in the future. 

0EBA9B37-1D96-4FF6-8F3A-670680AF2E97.jpeg

3E17E0AF-D723-4965-A2FD-EB7FEDAC1230.jpeg

E888A98F-9158-4EEA-96F7-6DB028417E03.jpeg

3230578E-6100-4A59-A27C-BCFEFB5B4494.jpeg

A7686D12-9E34-44E1-AAE6-6B07CBB198BA.jpeg

3F243FC6-B6E9-4922-A71F-693BDE9A3702.jpeg

7E0DAA74-A87D-40CB-A67B-AF45FC49E8D2.jpeg

91D55324-DE87-4DE7-86AD-FF06099322DC.jpeg

778E7CB8-3947-41DC-8D0B-386E6EDAAA6F.jpeg

6A733B06-1ED8-431D-9E2A-B5EDA2235140.jpeg

C8C632C4-EB0C-4294-B147-3EE11880631A.jpeg

2210C695-1554-4086-A872-510A9C257DF6.jpeg

EF4A17C9-C9D0-4E6D-BD7F-47B0A62B3A44.jpeg

0B6220BD-1C60-4B39-8DC9-764A68804201.jpeg

B6DCD5E1-B0AC-4E47-B244-C0DAF6C7B4D5.jpeg

That's fantastic Kadilo. Brought back memories all right.

And you were right about it being highly developed. It was a well stocked lake at one time. The English carp championships were held there in the 1980s. The bit where it disappears into the narrow part,  was the 'stalking' area. I caught a few carp but not any 'Viathons'.  Never had a carp off the 'beach'; only bream. Aquatels was one of the few places where I could fish and have the young family with me. Lake Meadows at Billericay was another.

I used to fish at 'Mollands' in South Ockendon. Also 'Tunnel Cement' in Aveley.

The other section was also of interest. Gloucester Park. I used to go there for the swimming competitions. It was a 33 1/3 metre pool  - or 36 2/3 yards - can't quite remember. Basildon Swimming Club were based at Gloucester park and they had a very good squad at one time in the 1980s. I never fished at the lake next to the swimming pool, but would wander around chatting to the anglers.

Now the old swimming pool is no more. Replaced by a 49 metre one? Couldn't quite manage the extra metre? Tight asses.

Back to Aquatels. I'm happy and sad at the same time. Happy that the place is being used, but sad, because - as a fisherman - it's no longer the haunt it once was. Even in the 1990s it was very industrialised (got these pics just this morning; shocked).

789742714_Aquatels1999.png.8098bf8b485e840ddeea1a56f5e24f61.png

And in 2020.

593018084_Aquatels2020.png.57823d92885f1c58b5e4cda58a11984b.png

I have got some pics of Aquatels in the year before, and the year after flooding. I'll dig them out, but probably on my unopenable flash drive. I tried to find out, a few years back, who stocked the lake and with what fish and from where. I'm not 100%, but, think the carp came from Tewin Fish Farm.

Aqutels! Never gonna be the same again.

The Irons couldn't quite save The Cherries. More's the pity.

Just remembered. We - the wife and three young girls - had been to a swimming gala at the Gloucester Park Pool. After the swimming - would be about 10 on a Saturday night, - we went for fish 'n' chips at the chippy close by. I was waiting in my van while the ladies were getting the grub. A Basildon peeler came over to me and said I was behaving suspiciously; and to move the vehicle down the road where he would search it. I replied "no". "In that case sir, I'm going to have to arrest you. Would you take the keys out of the ignition and get out please?" I replied "no" again. Then the girls turned up with the grub, got in the van, and I simply drove off.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thanks 1

Just had to investigate Aquatels more. Sorry guys.

This was the area in 1964.

442058907_aquatels1964.png.8419d5e475148aa3ab2dcaf7d82edfe1.png

And, same pic but with the lake of 55 rai outlined.

325664915_Aquatels1964cropped.png.d241d42e95914422a1715ec42d5b718a.png

The land was flooded in the 70s. Can see the brook - which probably became a stream after rain -  running through.

If you ever go there again Kadilo, have a butchers at where the stream enters and exits.

• Like 2