Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

Here in Udon we had heavy rain most of last night. It woke me up three times with the noise on the roof (I'm not Thai!)

Any rain to report in your neck of the woods, Owl?

I see weather.com reckon about 80% chance of rain looking at the forecast for the next ten days.

Hopefully good news for everyone apart from myself - if it's at night and keeps waking me up.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Here in Udon we had heavy rain most of last night. It woke me up three times with the noise on the roof (I'm not Thai!)

Any rain to report in your neck of the woods, Owl?

I see weather.com reckon about 80% chance of rain looking at the forecast for the next ten days.

Hopefully good news for everyone apart from myself - if it's at night and keeps waking me up.

Yes, some rain. Steady for a number of hours. Went to the farm first thing, and it looked much improved, with virtually all the rice field covered.

I'm just about to do an Owl Log, so I'll put in some pics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2020 at 3:48 AM, Odysseus123 said:

Hi Owl and fellow travellers..

I went for a little trip on Sunday and Monday for the first time since March.My wife went off with her Thai friends to the seaside and my mate and I headed towards my old fishing spots in the mountains-excellent for trout,bass and perch.Considering that it is mid-winter the weather was glorious with temps ranging from 5.C (41.F) to 20.C (70.F)..

Into the mountains..just to take some photographs..

DSCN2256.JPG

DSCN2299.JPG

DSCN2197.JPG

DSCN2209.JPG

DSCN2287.JPG

DSCN2284.JPG

DSCN2228.JPG

beautiful. Where is that? I would live there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I bet it’s colder than a mother in laws kiss

????

Nope..that was a mild winters day..top of 20.c.

It has been a bit colder the last few days tho' with some rain.Hopefully we will get some snow falls before winter is done.

I am glad to see that it has been raining on your parades over there and that the sky gods have finally delivered at long last.✌️

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Nope..that was a mild winters day..top of 20.c.

A bit colder the last few days tho' with some rain.Hopefully we will get some snow falls before winter is done.

Geez Ody, it’s 17 deg @ 10pm here in Darwin, I’m off to bed it’s too cold ! ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Nice pictures Kadilo....you were lucky to get the tide in, Back of the cockle sheds used to be a rubbish dump for years but i believe that's all filled in now. When I was at King John's (50s) we all used to have to run down from there to the railway line---touch it and run back , it was always so cold, muddy and miserable,  so I use to do it as fast as I could just so could get into the showers first while the water was hot........ for my troubles I got put into the cross country team.

So much land the Salvation Army has ..... years latter I would stagger out of the Elms Dance, they (Sally Army) would all be lined up with War Cry paper & rattling their donation tins while talking about the evils of drink. I used to think about all their land ---not a penny from me.

Cheers. Back of the cockle sheds is very neat and tidy these days. I often wonder how they all make a living. The main player (Ivy) Osborne and Sons has been going as long as I have. 

Good school that King John. One that many want to get on nowadays and  property on the catchment reflect that. I lived in Benfleet for a few years in my 20/30’s. and have a lot of family from there. 

Yes I never realized they owned all the land around Hadleigh Park including coffee shops and eateries. I assume they must get left a lot of money in people’s wills. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Geez Ody, it’s 17 deg @ 10pm here in Darwin, I’m off to bed it’s too cold ! ????

Now here's a peculiar thing...

Virtually every Thai I know in Sydney and up my way (we have quite a thriving community here) loves the snow as they frolic and gambol about in it whilst sending about a zillion selfies to their friends-something different ,I suppose.

I heard some sad news yesterday.There was a chap in town with close Thai family links to Udon Thani and had been planning to go back there but the virus struck and,of course,he could not get back.

We used to meet for an ale or two about once a month and my wife and I were kinda keeping up his morale.Anyway a mutual friend informed me yesterday that he had died of a brain tumour and that from diagnosis to death was just over two weeks.He was the same age as me..68.

Seize the day, gentlemen,seize the day..

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Sad 6

Seize the day indeed Ody ????????
I caught up with a mate today who’s had his appendix out and a melanoma removed from his leg, all this year !

With the melanoma, (lymph nodes) ? And appendix he’s got over 1 metre of scars and another mate is getting his prostate removed next month, seize the day indeed boys !

• Like 2

Owl, I may have solution to (one of) your problems... ????

My wife tells me that

“Tee⬆️Ruk” = “Darling” (⬆️= rising tone)

”Tee➡️Rak” = “Dinosaur” (flat tone)

It could be a possible explanation for some of the explosive outbursts... 

Ive got my fingers crossed for some rain for you, we are on our 5th consecutive Total Fire Ban Day, it’s not hot for us, but we’ve been getting a very strong and dry south easterly wind blowing which quickly fans any scrub/grass fires.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 01-08-2020

816749203_killthegrass03.png.3b3b3ea7b13fe1f5431b97af61262a01.png

Ah, the man in the irony mask.

18 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 01-08-2020

Have finally redone all the scripts and pics for our (me and Milly) project. All the original details were on the old computer, which blew up. But, not to worry as I had a copy on my flash drive, which cannot be opened.

Anyway, we are up and running. A book is planned (all about village life in Thailand, but with numbers replacing people) and a cartoon series, if we can get a backer. Been developing the whole thing for nearly two years. Got some interest from a Korean company. Fingers x'ed.

1243101785_numberfront06PNGsmall.png.73dd6a035c570cc1dd2068eae7401cae.png

I write the scripts from our joint ideas, and Milly takes care of the illustrations.

I can degenerate your hard work instantly:

I'm not a number, I'm a Thai man.

So I am number six? Are you going for a number two, or perhaps a sixty-nine at the local takeaway?

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I'm rooting for Brentwood in the week (sorry TBL). Not been in the English top flight for a long, long time. Fulham had their chance and blew it away, a couple of seasons ago. 

Come on you Bees!

Bye y'all. 

You can take the boy out of Essex but you can’t take Essex out of the boy. 

Brentwood = Centre of TOWIE (the Only Way is Essex) 

Brentford = Championship Play off Final. 

I’m with you, come on the Bees!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

You can take the boy out of Essex but you can’t take Essex out of the boy. 

Brentwood = Centre of TOWIE (the Only Way is Essex) 

Brentford = Championship Play off Final. 

I’m with you, come on the Bees!

Me as well, hope they do it. Be nice what with the new stadium as well, good bit of planning.

• Like 2