Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

David has been chucked off Youtube. A number of prominent doctors and virologists also. Shaun Attwood had started up www.brandnewtube.com. No deplatforming, no censorship. Sonia Paulson is contributing and others.

Sonia & Shaun - blooming brilliant!

Shaun put up a video the other day, where he interviews Darren Jeffrey. It is beyond shocking.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 5:25 AM, owl sees all said:

Investigations are almost complete.

Bassett was a wooden furniture company that at one time employed over 20k people.

They ventured into the beauty market after some board in-fighting and they became two different companies. Both ran into serious financial probs' and sold out. 

However, I am more interested in the clippers than the furniture. The machinery eventually found its way to Sth Korea. The 'Three Sevens' company still produce the clippers. The only difference being the stamping, and the packaging.

I went to the 20 baht shop yesterday and bought a pair of clippers:

1516360720_clippers01.png.c4dc7ce5699797efcc3733cfdb553914.png

933293972_clippers06.png.b86c60e24b0b7a36f264aa5f92bb0587.png

Almost identical!

1801290755_clippers02.png.e84f43824fa11ed28374350deac26936.png

The packaging says a 'lifetime guarantee', where as the Bassett clippers only had 10 years.

16287280_clippers05.png.85ace2dc97ea8169e9263f192dadd899.png

Further investigation led me to Lazada. The cost of a decent pair of Three Seven clippers is 79 baht. Appreciably less than the $4 US, but still more than 20 baht. But!!!!! I notice that all the modern Three Seven clippers now have a little hole at the end for attachment somewhere.

In conclusion; I might say that the clippers in question have been discontinued. I've got the details of Three Seven of Korea, and will be asking some searching questions (I'll not tell the Mrs).

Watch this space.

PPS: at the 20 baht shop I also bought a light bulb (energy saver), a pack of 8 toilet rolls and an 8 inch diameter fishing net. Last of the big spenders!!

Mysteriously this cropped up on my FB page today, coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. They do look like a great bit of kit but not at the reduced price shown.

https://www.swanation.co.uk/products/nail-clippers-for-thick-nails?variant=33157368971350

Hope i'm allowed to do that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Mysteriously this cropped up on my FB page today, coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. They do look like a great bit of kit but not at the reduced price shown.

https://www.swanation.co.uk/products/nail-clippers-for-thick-nails?variant=33157368971350

Hope i'm allowed to do that.

They look great. And, if not a coincidence; then a conspiracy.

This personal grooming has reached new heights. I've had lots of clippers in my time. I tend to abuse them. That's why I have a pair in my fishing box. The ones that I was drawn to originally looked to be good value at 20 baht, and made in the US too.

My grooming kit consists of nail clippers, a small pair of pliers (nose and ear hair) and some strong twine (pulling teeth). Mildred has cut my hair for the last five years, in a style she fancies at the time*. And when my beard grows, it gets cut with any scissors that are lying around.

This new fancy grooming stuff leaves me scared. "Oh, he is so much in touch with his feminine side. He sometimes wears my panties." Break out the clubs I say. Come back Olly Reed; we need you.

* When she was much younger, my hair would finish up looking terrible. Mrs Owl would moan about people looking at it, but after a couple of weeks of growth it would look fine. Now, she is very professional.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Mildred has cut my hair for the last five years, in a style she fancies at the time*. And when my beard grows, it gets cut with any scissors that are lying around.

{snipped}

* When she was much younger, my hair would finish up looking terrible. Mrs Owl would moan about people looking at it, but after a couple of weeks of growth it would look fine. Now, she is very professional.

Have I understood this right? 'Mrs Owl would moan about people looking at it'

Was that because it didn't look good, or did she moan because people had the temerity to look at it?

At school, when someone came in showing off a new haircut the comment was always, "When are you going back to have it finished?"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Have I understood this right? 'Mrs Owl would moan about people looking at it'

Was that because it didn't look good, or did she moan because people had the temerity to look at it?

At school, when someone came in showing off a new haircut the comment was always, "When are you going back to have it finished?"

I think she was moaning because she somehow thought it reflected badly on her. Same when I wear my shirts inside out. Or, when I have different colour shoes on.

Yes! The haircuts at school. There were always comments; as you say. The one I remember was; "try going to a barber next time."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

They do have this impression that anything that is yours is theirs too. In some ways it’s nice that they like to share but more often than not it’s them sharing your stuff and not vice versa unless it’s a bowl of uneditable somtam which you don’t want. 

I bought myself a new m/c for when I’m out there for the pure reason that every time I wanted to use the gfs it was no where to be seen. Usually “borrowed” by the old man to nip off somewhere no one knew where and come back hours later. Mainly because his was a heap and hers was full of ferang fuel. 

"full of ferang fuel" - gives the impression it runs on porridge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

{snipped}

On the way to the farm I saw the 'poo poo wagon'. Discharging its load into a sugar field. The Mrs says it is bad. But I point out that spraying glyphosate and paraquat are bad, but that doesn't stop the farmers using them.

Ah, so that's how they make demerara sugar.

Thirty years ago my Dad had a cracked soil-pipe under the ground (from the toilet to the sewerage pipe in the road).

When I got someone to repair it, they said it had been like that for years, slowly leaking into his garden. Always wondered why his roses did so well.

• Haha 2

Further investigation led me to Lazada. The cost of a decent pair of Three Seven clippers is 79 baht. Appreciably less than the $4 US, but still more than 20 baht. But!!!!! I notice that all the modern Three Seven clippers now have a little hole at the end for attachment somewhere.

On Lazada they have a box of twelve 777 clippers for 390 baht, so while not quite as cheapo as your 20 baht ones, with P&P probably around 35 baht apiece.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/new-lot-777-made-in-korea-777-nail-clippers-1-12-i1256240632-s3050358864.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.10.789f5a70hwotE8&search=1

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phetphet said:

On Lazada they have a box of twelve 777 clippers for 390 baht, so while not quite as cheapo as your 20 baht ones, with P&P probably around 35 baht apiece.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/new-lot-777-made-in-korea-777-nail-clippers-1-12-i1256240632-s3050358864.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.10.789f5a70hwotE8&search=1

Just goes to show how quality pieces like these can be made so cheaply. No wonder the west has trouble competing.

Personally, I've always liked a decent pair of nail clippers. They came in handy when I was in special forces. Along with other stuff, like robust needles and knives.

I loved Pattaya for years and still make the odd trip back for old times sake. I have a mate who basically has never been anywhere else in the 20 plus years we have been coming. 

Its not like like he lives on the outskirts or anything and pops on for some action. He has bought a condo on Soi 15 and is amongst it every night. 

I always say if I wasn’t so stupid for 15 years or so in Pattaya I would be working now. That said they were great times and memories. I just wish I had wound it in a little but that was me, all or sod all. 

Im glad for my health, physical and mental that I met the other half. I rarely drink now and am in a lot better condition than I was 5 year ago. 

My mate is very much a live for today kind of guy and fair play to him, each to their own. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, phetphet said:

I just had a look at the Lazada link. Seems to be some irony in the brand being labelled  'Yellow Sunshine'.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'm not sure if Charkie is sick or still grieving over the loss of her son Ginger. Been off her grub for a couple of days.

We just lost one of our cats which displayed classic Rabies symptoms.Now down to 11 from about 23.

5 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

We just lost one of our cats which displayed classic Rabies symptoms.Now down to 11 from about 23.

I'm sorry to hear that FFF. Twenty three cats. I envy you. We had nearly 40 at one time, when we lived at the farm house. Mrs Owl gave many away when I went to England for the Brexit vote.

We gave 10 to the monks at Kham Chanot a few years back. Took the MinL and wife there about 12 months later and while I was sitting outside one came over to me for a stroke. Lovely!

SN850581.thumb.JPG.b40150747664eeed9b94c127db628f2e.JPG

Post a pic please FFF.

54 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Post a pic please FFF.

It was the Grey in the 2nd and 3rd pics that died.The three in the last 5th/6th photos arrived one day together Mum's sleeping in the wok Lucy and Maxine and became 23 now 10 left.The white and ginger cat on the pillow escaped the desexing regime by deserting but pops in now and then to say hi.

IMG_2397.thumb.jpg.7d591ed68e080ca3187852a5adf65cc6.jpgIMG_2292.thumb.jpg.0fab5c798ade386b01c0f6f6af09411a.jpgIMG_2237.thumb.jpg.f7215c7eaef4e414ae851e8fec05a377.jpgIMG_1993.thumb.jpg.ef262fac54b1c809fe05cbcfa687cef5.jpgIMG_1759.thumb.jpg.5a2fd9e21ba6ad818965822b63225965.jpgIMG_1758.thumb.jpg.926fda692ece8a835558fc86dece1d1c.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1