Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

I have a couple of the whiter stones and a small black one that was one that monks used to sharpen a strait razor to shave their heads. 40+ years ago I didn't have have Internet or TV, so I played with knives.  You ever mow a lawn with a machete?  It sucks.

Thailand has some amazing rocks in terms of sharpening stones.  There's gold in them thar hills, if they only knew it. 

Oh, the "kid" doesn't have a clue about knives in my opinion, but he seems to be better with the stones. 

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I have a couple of the whiter stones and a small black one that was one that monks used to sharpen a strait razor to shave their heads. 40+ years ago I didn't have have Internet or TV, so I played with knives.  You ever mow a lawn with a machete?  It sucks.

Thailand has some amazing rocks in terms of sharpening stones.  There's gold in them thar hills, if they only knew it. 

Oh, the "kid" doesn't have a clue about knives in my opinion, but he seems to be better with the stones. 

I've seen the MIL doing it with a rice knife or those digging implements that looks likes like a crowbar and a spade mated.Nice looking stones.I'll try and post my collection if it stops raining.Hey Mr Owl are you getting anymore rain?

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I've seen the MIL doing it with a rice knife or those digging implements that looks likes like a crowbar and a spade mated.Nice looking stones.I'll try and post my collection if it stops raining.Hey Mr Owl are you getting anymore rain?

No rain here FFF. Just a shower this month. 

Had to let some water out of the ponds to boost the rice field level yesterday.

I think that's it for this year.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

No rain here FFF. Just a shower this month. 

Had to let some water out of the ponds to boost the rice field level yesterday.

I think that's it for this year.

Here in Udon we've had showers too, but not the amount of rain we'd usually have. I wonder if that's the end of it as well.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, faraday said:

No rain in NBL either, too hot, & the living room a/c packed up last night! Last week the truck a/c, now this 'un.

Hope 'things come in threes' ain't gonna happen. ????

Some people wonder why Thai's are so "hot" headed,it's the weather.Sounds like you're going native.There should be some relief in a couple of months,something I look forward to as we don't have a/c except in the truck.

8 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Cut a lot of things with a machete but not the lawn.I've cut sugar cane with a machete and that suck as well.

I cut about 10 sugar canes every day with a machete, supplement food for our cows, a piece of cake but then the cane is not 10 feet tall, only 6 foot.

What does FFF mean Owl, or should it be <deleted>?

The rain ain't over yet! We have had 2 downpours the last few days.

I thought you were a believer in a late rainy season. 555

• Like 1

Checked the water level this evening. The rice field water has risen about two inches. That should be OK til harvest in about six weeks.

Only expect showers from now on.

Edited by owl sees all

32 minutes ago, bannork said:

I cut about 10 sugar canes every day with a machete, supplement food for our cows, a piece of cake but then the cane is not 10 feet tall, only 6 foot.

What does FFF mean Owl, or should it be <deleted>?

The rain ain't over yet! We have had 2 downpours the last few days.

I thought you were a believer in a late rainy season. 555

One bundle of ten canes gets you 3 baht on our farm most people cut 100 bundles of 10 canes a day,I start saying FTS after about fifty bundles because I don't get any money cause the missus is such a tight ar$e.

32 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Checked the water level this evening. The rice field water has risen about two inches. That should be OK til harvest in about six weeks.

Wow you have water in your rice paddies?We don't but the ground is wet enough and the crop of mostly grass and prickles is looking pretty good.Thankfully we can now let the harvester harvester harvest the crop.I stopped helping harvesting (not sure if helping is the correct word) when I sliced half of one of my fingernails off with those hideously sharp serrated knives again FTS came effortlessly to my lips.Oh the fingernail did grow back and no permanent damage or even scarring remains TFFT!Sorry for all the swearing.I was going to say it's my mother tongue but that wouldn't be fair on the "old lady" as she tried hard to educate me in the correct use of English rather than Australian.She's also responsible for my pedantry.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

One bundle of ten canes gets you 3 baht on our farm most people cut 100 bundles of 10 canes a day,I start saying FTS after about fifty bundles because I don't get any money cause the missus is such a tight ar$e.

Wow you have water in your rice paddies?We don't but the ground is wet enough and the crop of mostly grass and prickles is looking pretty good.Thankfully we can now let the harvester harvester harvest the crop.I stopped helping harvesting (not sure if helping is the correct word) when I sliced half of one of my fingernails off with those hideously sharp serrated knives again FTS came effortlessly to my lips.Oh the fingernail did grow back and no permanent damage or even scarring remains TFFT!Sorry for all the swearing.I was going to say it's my mother tongue but that wouldn't be fair on the "old lady" as she tried hard to educate me in the correct use of English rather than Australian.She's also responsible for my pedantry.

Australian acronyms, jeez, they're beyond me 

Now Barry McKenzie, he had some wonderful turns of phrase.

'A technicolour yawn....

• Like 1

Is your mate's wife attractive in any way?

I would reconsider not letting her daughter fish, but not carte blanche to do what she wants. I, would apologise.

It can be difficult, I do understand.

I haven't spoken to my sister in blighty for a few weeks, last time though she complained about how some people, i.e. drs receptionists, pharmacists, seem to think they have extra powers, & were quite rude. I see Covid Marshalls are being introduced. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-54105672

If this pandemic was as 'they' say it is, then it would be a good move. I don't think it is. And of course, we have to be careful what we say now, don't we.

Boris is planning on spending £100,000,000 or some equally absurd figure on a 'moonshot'!

Sonia put up an interesting short video on YouTube last night about the 'gubmint covid consultation'. Not going to comment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Is your mate's wife attractive in any way?

I would reconsider not letting her daughter fish, but not carte blanche to do what she wants. I, would apologise.

It can be difficult, I do understand.

I haven't spoken to my sister in blighty for a few weeks, last time though she complained about how some people, i.e. drs receptionists, pharmacists, seem to think they have extra powers, & were quite rude. I see Covid Marshalls are being introduced. 

If this pandemic was as 'they' say it is, then it would be a good move. I don't think it is. And of course, we have to be careful what we say now, don't we.

Boris is planning on spending £100,000,000 or some equally absurd figure on a 'moonshot'!

Sonia put up an interesting short video on YouTube last night about the 'gubmint covid consultation'. Not going to comment.

The wife's daughter has a lot of bad history with me. When I was back in England for the Brexit vote, her pals decided to fish the ponds. Result; two busted fishing reels.

I have a couple of reasons why I said no. One is that I just don't trust her. There are only two ponds with fish in and the number one pond has seen its fish population gradually reduced this year. I think it's the Buddha man next door, but I've no proof. It wouldn't take her long (with hubby) to get fed up catching nothing, and move to number five pond, where all the mekongs and kois are. No one can fish in that pond; it's a pet pond. 

If I let her fish without me being there, it sends a message to anyone else that could be watching. If she and her hubs want to fish, they will have to wait until I'm there to keep an eye on them.

As for Mrs Owl throwing a strop; I can only think that me visiting the widow Um, was the tipping point. Fancy throwing Charkie's food container to the floor, not once but three times. My mate's wife is OK looking, but hard working (that could be the key), with her farm work and sewing.

I'll check out Sonia's vid as soon as Mildred is off safely on the bus. Been watching lots of vids on brandnewtube. Some real eye-openers, especially those on Fauci in US.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, faraday said:

Thanks for that Faraday.

Watched both vids. Very sinister indeed. Let's hope the English people can resist.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Ah the wife.Rule number one:The husband can only do what he wants to do only if it's what the wife wants him to do.You may have broken rule number one.Rule number two:refer to rule number one.

Nah, you're doing it wrong. I'm a kept man. I know my place.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, faraday said:

Rule 3

We men can have an opinion, as long as it's the same as wife's.

My wife's version of rule number 3:You can have an opinion but I'm not listening to it!The distant glazed switched off stare comes instantly.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Had a trio of letters delivered in the week. Milly said they were for a teacher that was to be retired off. Teaching limit in state run schools being 60. 

985658036_teacherretire01.png.c2b2c8cf28dc664dcabf543fd119f482.png

Not sure what to do. Put money in the envelopes! Stick them on the wall. Take them to Buddha. When Mrs Owl starts speaking to me again I might find out.

M's school was getting some work done. Daughter says it's for a flag pole. I think it's something grander. After all; a crane!

They are invitations to join in the celebrations on Friday, 25 September for teacher Tiranan Racha. I honestly don't know whether it is custom to put money in the envelopes, which is actually quite good as you could plead ignorance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

They are invitations to join in the celebrations on Friday, 25 September for teacher Tiranan Racha. I honestly don't know whether it is custom to put money in the envelopes, which is actually quite good as you could plead ignorance.

Good you say that Gary. Mildred said something about it on the way to the bus this morning. I didn't know what she was on about. Who is this Tiranan Racha? 

I'm learning so much here.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Good you say that Gary. Mildred said something about it on the way to the bus this morning. I didn't know what she was on about. Who is this Tiranan Racha? 

I'm learning so much here.

That is the name of the teacher, the one who is retiring. They want to get people to come and say thank you and goodbye. That sort of thing. Not a bad idea but not all teachers deserve it. I'll assume she is one of the good ones though. You should ask Mildred.  

• Like 1