• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been in Isaan for 12 years and I find it fascinating. Virtually every week there is something that I find of interest or something that surprises me, dismays me and sometimes shocks me.  

My wife doesn't give them "Jack", and naturally I asked come one day, "honey" why don't you give them something....huh, they have hands and feet and can work, instead of always asking for money on the

This story starts 22 years ago.   I first met my future wife, Dee, when she was selling papaya salad (somtam in Thai) on a street stall in Nong Khai. I was forty one and tired of the single

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

What is 'apples and pears', 'dog and bone'?

Cockney rhyming slang. Stairs and phone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

That would be 'pulling my Hampton' or 'jerking my Gibraltar'.

My older lad, watching Pesky Blinders, was trying to wind me up last night being a bit cheeky and trying to take the mickey. I asked him "are you trying to pull my plonker?". I then had to explain it as he was clueless. Having lived here all his life he's still learning something new all the time about his british side. Just recently introduced him to proper coffee and colmans mustard after years of asking him to try them: still turns his nose up though at Piccalilli.

• Like 2

The reason I asked @owl sees all was whilst we're locked down I've started learning German. Unfortunately they don't do a Thai course or I'd have had a go at that.

https://www.duolingo.com/learn Is the site I use, not sure why German but it keeps the brain working I suppose. I'd recommend the site should you wish to make the poor girls life a misery.😀😀

I'd recommend she learn Welsh, you just never know when you'll bump into a Welsh speaker, it must come in handy at sometime.😀

Edited by sotonowl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, GarryP said:

Cockney rhyming slang. Stairs and phone. 

Sandshoe ...

I am learning and seeing my great age it will not be ham & cheesy ..:cheesy:

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I googled it. French for promenade, stroll, etc. Correct or is it a French cycling term?

Until the beginning of the 20 * century, the English aristocracy spoke only French.

This word "stroll" with a single "l" is sometimes used in its French form by English poets;
sorry, no example before my eyes.
As for ballade with two "l" it is a form of medieval poem .

Next time I'll try to find a cockney rhyming slang translation? :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1