Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

47 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Thanks for the support Fat is a type of crazy.

Sorry to hear that your partner is similar to mine; emotionally that is.

The eucas are doing well. In the future we might see them turned into paper, building materials and,,,, who knows?

Good to see you post. Post again. Not too much footy comments though, or we will never get TBL back.

We farmed eucalyptus and it was for "rip rip wood chip turn it into paper" just like John Williamson's song.I now want to try farming hemp for paper and other stuff as you get about 4 times as much each year from hemp and you can make cars and fuel to run the cars and rope and clothes and vegetable oil and you can make the most insulated homes and fibre boards plastic and heaps of other stuff.I've even heard you can make medicine with it!Try doing that with eucalyptus.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

That is the name of the teacher, the one who is retiring. They want to get people to come and say thank you and goodbye. That sort of thing. Not a bad idea but not all teachers deserve it. I'll assume she is one of the good ones though. You should ask Mildred.  

Could this also be the answer to the school "crane" mystery.

Erecting a giant poster of Tiranan Racha?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

We farmed eucalyptus and it was for "rip rip wood chip turn it into paper" just like John Williamson's song.I now want to try farming hemp for paper and other stuff as you get about 4 times as much each year from hemp and you can make cars and fuel to run the cars and rope and clothes and vegetable oil and you can make the most insulated homes and fibre boards plastic and heaps of other stuff.I've even heard you can make medicine with it!Try doing that with eucalyptus.

Interesting post FFF. I'll do a bit of research. 

I am interested in 'linen' now. My mum was always on about linen when I was at home, and I didn't take any notice then.

"Linen is a textile made from the fibers of the flax plant. Linen is very strong and absorbent, and dries faster than cotton. Because of these properties, linen is comfortable to wear in hot weather and is valued for use in garments." (Quoted from Wiki.)

Sounds perfect for Thailand.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I am interested in 'linen' now. My mum was always on about linen when I was at home, and I didn't take any notice then.

"Linen is a textile made from the fibers of the flax plant. Linen is very strong and absorbent, and dries faster than cotton. Because of these properties, linen is comfortable to wear in hot weather and is valued for use in garments." (Quoted from Wiki.)

I've used linen thread in my leather work phase which I would love to get back into.I was also into skinning and tanning for a while and came across a great little book called Knives Skinning and Tanning which got me started on the blade sharpening path I still travel today.I've been asking around about leather suppliers in Thailand without any success although I did pick up some "nylon" linen thread and needles a couple of weeks ago.

Here's my sailing knife pouch I made about 35 years ago and some homemade dubbin made from bees wax and baby oil.

DSC02063.thumb.JPG.029d58cfae086ed84babea4f705bd711.JPG

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Could this also be the answer to the school "crane" mystery.

Erecting a giant poster of Tiranan Racha?

You could be bang on the money there Chickenlegs.

1428116586_schoolwall001.png.18934ace35f9962c8f0b7ca099566996.png

He could be drilling the wall ready to hang something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Linen is absolutely the best cloth for Thailand.  I stocked up in the months leading up to our permanent move to Chiang Mai.  eBay is where I got the most value.  Only 3 days to departure now.

• Like 1

The full impact of Noul is supposed to hit on Saturday so there is still hope for you, Owl.  Maybe the rain will cool your missus down, but then that is about as likely as winning first prize on the lottery. You really are a saint for what you put up with. Just great you have so much you can do around your farms on your tod to keep you out of harms way, or at least away from a good tongue lashing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

The full impact of Noul is supposed to hit on Saturday so there is still hope for you, Owl.  Maybe the rain will cool your missus down, but then that is about as likely as winning first prize on the lottery. You really are a saint for what you put up with. Just great you have so much you can do around your farms on your tod to keep you out of harms way, or at least away from a good tongue lashing.

'a good tongue lashing'  That sounds like it could be the climax of the week if you're lucky.

• Haha 2

787540203_TSZoul.thumb.jpg.8a09da8027c9ba98f63a2feddc48741f.jpgIt's been raizzling (that's halfway between rain and drizzle for the uninitiated) up until about 10 minutes ago but now it's stroining (that's strong rain) and starting to get a bit stroindy (you should be able to work that one out) now.TS Zoul (that bloody N keeps falling over from the Stroind we are getting now) is heading directly for us here in Yasomnat (that's halfway between Yasothon and Amnat Charoen).

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

MY English teacher at school always said that the English Language was the richest in the world. Of course helped along that road by the Danes, the Romans, the French and the Jamaicans. But 'raizzling' is a new one for me to add to my limited vocabulary.

Another word that cricket fans would be familiar with; 'mizzle, So there I have it; mist, mizzle, drizzle, raizzling and then rain.

Mrs Lloyd - she of the vicious tongue - was right. 'Orible cow. But at least she didn't whack kids on the head like Mr Walker. Big story about him for another time. Nearly got expelled; but Dad approved.

My sister studied linguistics at Uni and says that language is ever evolving.We would often have visitors to our house when we were younger would not understand what we were talking about.Looks like your rain delivery is headed for the wrong address.I will try and redirect it your way if not you might have to come and collect it from down here.We are having a "wet day" the busted ar$ed chainman's favourite day at work.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

My sister studied linguistics at Uni and says that language is ever evolving. We would often have visitors to our house when we were younger would not understand what we were talking about.

Well FFF, you have certainly opened a can of worms.

I've been teaching Mildred some cockney rhyming slang. Apples and pairs, dog and bone, that sort of thing. We like it, in a joking way, but Mrs Owl doesn't. She says it is ugly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well FFF, you have certainly opened a can of worms.

I've been teaching Mildred some cockney rhyming slang. Apples and pairs, dog and bone, that sort of thing. We like it, in a joking way, but Mrs Owl doesn't. She says it is ugly.

I remember reading that Cockney rhyming slang played a major part in the Ozzie language which I find most entertaining.I hope you didn't say to Mrs Owl the first thing that popped into my head?Which would receive another 2 weeks silent treatment.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Sidetrack ahead:

Mrs Lloyd. That reminds of of Marie Lloyd, the Edwardian music hall singer known for her bawdy repertoire.

One song included the line "She sits among the cabbages and peas."

She was taken to task by the management for being too rude. Marie Lloyd feigned innocence, claiming she had absolutely no idea of the double meaning. She promised to change the line immediately.

The next time she sang it the words became "She sits among the cabbages and leeks."

One song she made famous was "Don't Dilly Dally on the Way", often credited as "My Old Man Said Follow The Van"

To bring the post back on topic.

Many of the nursery rhymes that all English kids know, came from a time when speaking one's mind could get you in big trouble. Some are stories of actual occurrences, disguised in a rhyme. Some were very sinister indeed, and were often related to death.

6 minutes ago, faraday said:

I lived in Wales for around 10 years, although, thankfully not Welsh. I can do a reasonable impression of the accent, as can my wife. Creases me up when she does.

Anyway, back to words..a few words they use in Wales.

Nobblin' - being cold.

Tampin' - angry.

B'there - over there.

By'yuur  - here.

And, my favourite: " I'm doing it now" which actually means it's my next task, & I will do it some time.

I also lived in Wales; Port Talbot.

The one I recall is 'tootie down'.

• Like 1

1264582134_TSZoul.jpg.4200239bd6d89c4cd7

This is a good map alright. Let me, as a disciple of weather forecasting, decipher.

As I see it, the wavy lines, above Laos, will push the circles, just entering Vietnam and moving west, down.

In a nutshell. Issan dry. Bangkok very wet.

23 minutes ago, rumak said:

and mine said " If the Van is Rockin.... Don't bother nockin'"

Pump up the jam. Where the feet are stomping and the bodies swaying. Y'know what I'm sayin'.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

To bring the post back on topic.

Many of the nursery rhymes that all English kids know, came from a time when speaking one's mind could get you in big trouble. Some are stories of actual occurrences, disguised in a rhyme. Some were very sinister indeed, and were often related to death.

My wife's niece has picked up the song Baa Baa Black Sheep from youtube, although she's Thai and doesn't understand it.

I read it was originally a covert criticism of tax levied on the English wool trade eight hundred years ago.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Perhaps it's because they are upside down, the Ozzies, do get things back to front. When they play cricket, they say four for 250. In English that is 250 runs for four wickets down. Also, and this is similar to 10 by 8, they call a four by two, a two by four.

When the authorities at the jails were sorting out the prisoners for deportation, many years ago, the really clever ones were sent to Canada.

Right that's it for you young man it's off to bed with out any rain tonight!The correct term is "ar$e about".

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1