Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

21 hours ago, HighPriority said:

I woke to our first rain since March or early April this morning, we were gifted 4.8mm by Huey, he then followed up with a further 1mm.

I had a rainwater tank installed this week, finished Friday, but of course whilst the tank is completed the plumbing connections are not... ????

The first pic shows a hansom man and his new tank, the second is taken prior to the roof being installed.

F96EDDA7-3ED3-4017-BDBF-1BDFC9A1646C.jpeg

D0D804CA-6BF2-42FC-B155-F724F852BA59.jpeg

That looks like a 200m3 tank. I can't quite see the liner. Could you give more details?

On 9/18/2020 at 7:42 AM, faraday said:

I lived in Wales for around 10 years, although, thankfully not Welsh. I can do a reasonable impression of the accent, as can my wife. Creases me up when she does.

Anyway, back to words..a few words they use in Wales.

Nobblin' - being cold.

Tampin' - angry.

B'there - over there.

By'yuur  - here.

And, my favourite: " I'm doing it now" which actually means it's my next task, & I will do it some time.

I'll be there now in a minute.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Here's a few photos to put my previous post in context. Not sure how to comment between photos.

1 and 2  Eucalypts front and back 

3 The spot my girl wanted the lemon tree. Compromised with a lime.

4 She put in a bergamot. Thought it might be too cold but it's going good. My thai ex comes by to get leaves for her curry. 

5 Part of her temple area with a little Ganesh. How do Buddha and Ganesh work together. Not sure.

6 A bigger ganesh. In Thailand in the before times. Pre covid. Hopefully back together in the near future.

image.thumb.png.88473788ab9b598c91ffea7abea8f1f0.pngimage.thumb.png.dd5953dea7750a0c9722def87283d990.png image.thumb.png.e3bffc33ac97ae97b2b1f79aa3e21ff3.pngimage.thumb.png.76169ce33de51309eeff2d20980a0e92.pngimage.thumb.png.4ad1ed5032ac143e69a467c8f6eb91eb.png

image.thumb.png.07192d4d5ba8e6f7912e4da264534ed1.png

image.png

image.png

Absolutely beautiful pics; thanks for sharing. White suits your lady. Or ex-lady. A couple of fine eucalyptus trees there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Will your log be about super gluing a wife to the kitchen sink, or adding some to her drink to super-glue the lips together?

Today was just one of dozens, if not hundreds of similar. My main concern is that Mildred has a good and thoughtful life. I want her to be able to look at a cube and see what it is, and not the sphere that others would like it to be.

She is looked after financially in England. But, if I went, all Thai assets would be dissipated in just a couple of years. That's just the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.

I could pick Mrs Owl up with one hand and chuck her into the middle of a pond; not the koi carp pond as I wouldn't want to scare them. Perhaps here lies the problem; she knows I would not. Her Thai husband, before me, used to beat her she says. I often wonder why?

In these testing times, it's important to look after one's health. That way I'm looking after the 'family' as best I can.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Today was just one of dozens, if not hundreds of similar. My main concern is that Mildred has a good and thoughtful life. I want her to be able to look at a cube and see what it is, and not the sphere that others would like it to be.

She is looked after financially in England. But, if I went, all Thai assets would be dissipated in just a couple of years. That's just the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.

I could pick Mrs Owl up with one hand and chuck her into the middle of a pond; not the koi carp pond as I wouldn't want to scare them. Perhaps here lies the problem; she knows I would not. Her Thai husband, before me, used to beat her she says. I often wonder why?

In these testing times, it's important to look after one's health. That way I'm looking after the 'family' as best I can.

I'm sure I'll be criticised for saying this:

Some Thais see thoughtfulness and concern for others as a sign of weakness, and will tend to exploit it for their own ends.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm sure I'll be criticised for saying this:

Some Thais see thoughtfulness and concern for others as a sign of weakness, and will tend to exploit it for their own ends.

Our neighbors see me as straight, honest, quiet and thoughtful. I know this as Mrs Owl has said as much in happy moments; when she is not angry.

I don't care what people think and say, and I reckon this upsets Mrs Owl, as much as anything.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Our neighbors see me as straight, honest, quiet and thoughtful. I know this as Mrs Owl has said as much in happy moments; when she is not angry.

I don't care what people think and say, and I reckon this upsets Mrs Owl, as much as anything.

It sounds like Mrs Owl has a few expectations and would benefit from some expectation reduction adjustment which she must do herself.I've been practicing this with Mrs FFF and seemed to have made some headway with some deft handling of her expectations which is no mean feat especially considering the deftness with which she handles those razor sharp blades as she is currently doing out front right now hacking away at the overgrown shrubbery no doubt getting ready for the visit from Immigration in a few weeks.Gotta go I'm being expected. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I think there is a syndrome with younger wives where they get self indulgent and have delusions of grandeur. They are used to being the special, pretty, and sexy one and of being told as much. By what I see you have a nice smart daughter and, as stupid as it sounds, sometimes the younger thai wife wants to be the centre of attention. Not sure of the age difference between you and your wife in this case. Maybe let her go crazy, act up, and play her bluff, call the police. Sounds like your neighbours know what's what and will support you.

A second option is that what you are, or aren't doing, may be a factor. Sometimes you can ask your partner 'Do you want to go out' and can feel relieved when they say no. You may be busy. In my case the first wife was a good cook so I was happy at home. In retrospect I probably could have made more effort. We could sometimes go months without going out. Just push her to go out, give her flowers, a small holiday, she'll say she doesn't want it but watch the smile come back.

A third possibility is that she has an illness e.g. depression or bipolar. Hard to get people to get treatment  but you seem to be  good at deescalating stuff and listening and you might be able to get her to see a doctor. 

A fourth is that the marriage has run its course. I was surprised how good separating felt - getting that ball and chain off your leg. We are so much more friendly now given we have separated. That's why I am hesitant to marry a second time.

Free advice isn't worth the price they say.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I just saw the part where you said she may have been beaten by her first husband. I guess that puts in a special category and I imagine the doctor option is probably most relevant but better not to give advice at all as it is obviously a complicated and difficult situation.  

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

That actually sounds great. I am looking forward to getting back into cycling when I retire in a couple of years. I also used to do a lot of fishing so want to get back into that too. Not so interested in haircuts though. 

No haircuts?

You don't fancy a chip off the old block then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I'm not one for sticking my nose into other people's business, but I recognise those symptoms (happy moments, angry moments, etc.) - menopause https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/blog/what-are-the-34-symptoms-of-menopause.

If there is any chance that you could persuade her to see a doctor and get her hormones tested, she could possibly become a much happier person (and you too) with just a little medication - or even some natural herbs.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/menopause/treatment/

• Like 2