Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Some of the Americans that I've spoken to since arriving in Thailand sound very convincing, and they get great military pensions. Much better than mine. A guy I spoke to last year was a 'Chief' in the US military, and he got 90k baht a month.

Toilets! I know where all the free toilets in Ban Dung are. I don't go into bars, and always use the same two restaurants. Not that I like the furnishings or anything like that; I simply trust the food will not do me an injustice.

Udon can be a challenge. I'll never go to BKK again. Well perhaps the airport.

The US military has some nice pensions, depending on years in service.

22 minutes ago, Will27 said:

If you like 3 in 1, try the Vietnamese brand G7.

They have a few types but I really enjoy the Strong x 2.

They also make a decent espresso.

กาแฟเวียดนาม G7 Strong เข้มข้นสองเท่า 24 ซอง

Thanks for that Will. I'll look out for it in the supermarkets. Hope it's not too expensive.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The US military has some nice pensions, depending on years in service.

Yes!

I don't know how the US manage to pay the military; past and present. Must cost absolute billions.

14 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I've tried that.

By the time I get to day #10 I've forgotten the word I learned on day #1, and so it goes on.

But I can remember lots of words and phrases from the French classes that I hated in my childhood and have never used since.

Forgetting the word you learnt on day one.

Reminds me of Benjamin the donkey in Animal Farm. He had the same problem.

14 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If I learnt Thai I wouldn't need the wife.....wait for it...nah nothing,I though something might come to mind but no.I actually learnt to read and write Thai but have very little vocab and lack of practice means little progress but it does help with learning to speak it but people around here speak Lao so again little progress. We've just had 4 blackouts in 1/2 an hour and three of them just as I'm about to hit submit after writing a post I had just finished writing this one saying we've had 3 blackouts with 2 coming as I'm about to hit submit but we just had number four.

Right now, we've got a power outage.

I know  I'm a sad bar steward, I keep track of them (gives me something to do). We've had 85 in seven years. This one now is number 86.

If it's not back within thirty minutes, I'll call the PEA. Everyone else in the village sits around for hours on end wondering when the power will come back on.

When I phone the PEA call centre on 1129, if it's a local power outage, they're not even aware of it until I tell them.

As I was writing the sentence above, the power came back on. Only 15 minutes this time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, faraday said:

Clouded over here about an hour ago, now thunder & lightening, with strong winds.

Yes, Lacey, some of the Chili sauces my wife makes are like eating molten metal! :w00t: 

molten metal. Reminds me of Stan Laurel: You can take a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

For a housewarming, I bought 5 kg of good quality beef. The GF's sister cooked it up with chili.

I swear, the sauce she prepared could have done double duty as paint stripper. Her Thai family loved it, was inedible for me.

Ha ha ha! Chilli for 'house warming'.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Right now, we've got a power outage.

I know  I'm a sad bar steward, I keep track of them (gives me something to do). We've had 85 in seven years. This one now is number 86.

If it's not back within thirty minutes, I'll call the PEA. Everyone else in the village sits around for hours on end wondering when the power will come back on.

When I phone the PEA call centre on 1129, if it's a local power outage, they're not even aware of it until I tell them.

As I was writing the sentence above, the power came back on. Only 15 minutes this time.

As I am OCD, I had to do the sums. On average, you get one every 30 days.

Please tell me you have some form of activity while you are waiting for the outages, apart from a recording function.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As I am OCD, I had to do the sums. On average, you get one every 30 days.

Please tell me you have some form of activity while you are waiting for the outages, apart from a recording function.

I sit and stare in to space and think.

Sometimes I just stare into space.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I sit and stare in to space and think.

Sometimes I just stare into space.

I suppose that makes a kind of sense, you can't get into trouble doing nothing. I am not going to ask about what you are thinking, sorry if that disappoints you. I have enough problems with my own thoughts.

I stare into space when I am on the golf course, and wonder if I can conquer it.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, faraday said:

Reminds of some toilet graffiti from long ago:

" Some come here to sit & think

Some here to s**t & stink

But I come here to scratch my balls

And read the writing on the walls"

Very profound.

Non-toilet graffiti.

I remember a sign which said 'Harwich for the continent', underneath which someone had written: 'and Frinton for the incontinent'.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

555. Yes 555!

It's gonna come up on the Thai lottery soon. Mildred says so.

Never mind throwing nails into a stream. Never mind rubbing powder onto trees. Never mind touching tortoises where you wouldn't touch you girl friend. Here is the proof.

Pics never lie.

555.png.f6802bca0b602790d9e0bc407026637b.png

More certain than Leicester winning the EPL for this season.

You saw it here first guys.

Eh? I see that once every day. Leicester? Is that pronounced Lester, like you guys pronounce Featherstonehaugh and Cholmondoley?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Are you sure it's not "Building Academic Resources"?

Sure.  อาคาร means building, you usually see it on every large school building and numbered, i.e. อาคาร 1 perhaps classrooms for lower primary school, grades 1-3, อาคาร 2 classrooms for upper primary students, etc.  The numbers are usually in Thai.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Eh? I see that once every day. Leicester? Is that pronounced Lester, like you guys pronounce Featherstonehaugh and Cholmondoley?

We do it just do make it difficult for Americans. When they get the hang of it, we'll change the pronunciation again.

I went to see Blondie (Debbie Harry) in concert at the DeMontfort Halls in Leicester in the seventies.

When she said to the audience, "It's really good to be here in Lei-ces-ter," there was a lot of booing from the auditorium.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bannork said:
6 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Are you sure it's not "Building Academic Resources"?

Sure.  อาคาร means building, you usually see it on every large school building and numbered, i.e. อาคาร 1 perhaps classrooms for lower primary school, grades 1-3, อาคาร 2 classrooms for upper primary students, etc.  The numbers are usually in Thai.

Agreed. อาคาร is the noun for 'building', not a verb.

• Thanks 1