Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

19 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

If it does he'll be hopping mad about it. Left with nowt to stand on.

Funnily enough I had to drive a neighbour to the local clinic who was helping the nephew cut up the MIL's Tamarind tree, nicked his foot with the chainsaw and required about 8 stitches.He died about 6 weeks later from alcoholic poisoning.That was just a couple of months ago. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Funnily enough I had to drive a neighbour to the local clinic who was helping the nephew cut up the MIL's Tamarind tree, nicked his foot with the chainsaw and required about 8 stitches.He died about 6 weeks later from alcoholic poisoning.That was just a couple of months ago. 

'alcoholic poisoning'  Have I understood that correctly?

Is that how he came to nick his foot, by the sound of it due to his almost permanent inebriation?

30 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

'alcoholic poisoning'  Have I understood that correctly?

Is that how he came to nick his foot, by the sound of it due to his almost permanent inebriation?

Permanent inebriation is a more apt description of his ailment and likely a contributing factor in his chainsaw accident,though I do dislike the word accident as it nulls people's responsibility of their choices and decisions.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Speaking of old McDonald,Here a moo there a moo everywhere a moo moo.Somehow the cows have now become my responsibility so it starts with cow muesli made from rice polishings (bran?),some sliced dried cassava some blood and bone looking stuff and some other stuff and water.The water comes from the kitchen and usually has kitchen scrapes.

DSC02064.thumb.JPG.44610f177fc778f87279943a88b663e0.JPG

Then some grass that has to be cut every couple of days.

DSC02065.thumb.JPG.f00e2faad47c99eefa108b1bf75e8e5b.JPG

DSC02066.thumb.JPG.19db83c257b79c6382a9c78266173dc1.JPGDSC02068.thumb.JPG.1b86743ce19a7009474caf03967a0062.JPG

DSC02067.JPG

They look as though they could with some fattening up. Give them some sugar cane FFF.

31 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

They look as though they could with some fattening up. Give them some sugar cane FFF.

They look like their owners and they are eating machines built for speed,they get heaps of cane in the cutting season but doesn't make any diff.I see a neighbour's cows go past our place everyday shaped like your blue water tanks they're a different breed as well as having a dedicated carer I haven't seen a cow that well built and I've seen lots of cows when I worked on the Gas pipeline from Adelaide to Port Campbell through the middle of dairy country copping daily zaps from electric fences.Now our Big Momma cow has a sore leg which is my fault as usual I noticed it yesterday and thought she might have just slept on it but she's still limping this morning so I told Mrs FFF and got in trouble for not telling her earlier so just waiting for the vet to have a look.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

They look like their owners and they are eating machines built for speed,they get heaps of cane in the cutting season but doesn't make any diff.I see a neighbour's cows go past our place everyday shaped like your blue water tanks they're a different breed as well as having a dedicated carer I haven't seen a cow that well built and I've seen lots of cows when I worked on the Gas pipeline from Adelaide to Port Campbell through the middle of dairy country copping daily zaps from electric fences.Now our Big Momma cow has a sore leg which is my fault as usual I noticed it yesterday and thought she might have just slept on it but she's still limping this morning so I told Mrs FFF and got in trouble for not telling her earlier so just waiting for the vet to have a look.

There is a farm near me who grow sugar just to feed the animals. They have a shredding machine and cut a few sticks every day. Their cows look sturdy.

I bought two buffaloes some years back. Sold them at a small loss 12 months later. Also had piggies; black ones. They were cute, but the male 'Tookey' didn't like farangs. Never had any cows, or looked after any, although cows do like me.

940694264_hurtcow06.png.58d48e5f4c44e8406e158ddc4b90ff44.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

There is a farm near me who grow sugar just to feed the animals. They have a shredding machine and cut a few sticks every day. Their cows look sturdy.

I bought two buffaloes some years back. Sold them at a small loss 12 months later. Also had piggies; black ones. They were cute, but the male 'Tookey' didn't like farangs. Never had any cows, or looked after any, although cows do like me.

940694264_hurtcow06.png.58d48e5f4c44e8406e158ddc4b90ff44.png

Being born in the year of the cow I too seem to have some Bovine affinity and Baby Red the daughter of Big Momma is for ever chasing me to try and lick me to death.I once tried shoving Big Momma to get her to move off her string so I could tie her to a post and got a hefty kick to the thigh for my efforts and the MIL has a nasty dent in her forehead as a result of being kicked buy one of her cows.We did pigs previously as well and the damn things form emotional connections and become family members and selling them caused Mrs FFF considerable emotional distress they also didn't seem to like falangs and the only emotion from me was happiness when they were gone.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Being born in the year of the cow I too seem to have some Bovine affinity and Baby Red the daughter of Big Momma is for ever chasing me to try and lick me to death.I once tried shoving Big Momma to get her to move off her string so I could tie her to a post and got a hefty kick to the thigh for my efforts and the MIL has a nasty dent in her forehead as a result of being kicked buy one of her cows.We did pigs previously as well and the damn things form emotional connections and become family members and selling them caused Mrs FFF considerable emotional distress they also didn't seem to like falangs and the only emotion from me was happiness when they were gone.

You are right about the pigs forming emotional connections. We had two in the village. The lady pig (can't recall her name) would lay at the MinL's feet.

We built a home for them at the farm and they lived there for a while.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes that broken chair would be a steal at 500 Bt!

All those machines need attention. Should get them for free to anyone who wants to get them up and running.

That chair is not what I'm after FFF. It was the machine behind.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I know that you're not after the chair,I was trying to be funny,but I would grab the chair and cut it up to repair your favourite chair and use some contact adhesive and some sanding for added adhesion you might be able to get some matching contours and maybe something to fill any gaps to stop any nasty pinching.

I made 2 of these chairs a few months ago from some of the dead Teak trees from the plantation

and seeing your favourite chair has given me an idea of making some smaller versions as those smaller chairs are quite popular for working closer to the ground.I also made a clamp thingy to hold the smaller diameter timber to make straight cuts and it works a treat.You can tell from the photos that I'm not a big fan of the clean work area is a safe work area!

We've had a few good showers in the last five days and we are getting another one as I write this post,sorry to rub it in.

thumb_IMG_2260_1024.jpg.1d4c1435be34ab95e789d4b1523fd117.jpgthumb_IMG_2265_1024.jpg.472921448dc06ab893e632411b55cd80.jpgthumb_IMG_2630_1024.jpg.2b1c51262629d6831e8c0c49bd57319c.jpgthumb_IMG_2631_1024.jpg.bb996f2a7e7ba476d76e49c4d19edc8f.jpg

Fantastic!

I've got my own ideas on fixing my chair FFF. Gonna start tomorrow. Pics next log.

Just about to start bottling up my reishi that I made today. Added some cinnamon into the brew. Should be interesting.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Fantastic!

I've got my own ideas on fixing my chair FFF. Gonna start tomorrow. Pics next log.

Just about to start bottling up my reishi that I made today. Added some cinnamon into the brew. Should be interesting.

We used to have cinnamon and sugar on toast when we were kids a bit like cinnamon donuts tastes great.Also my brother is a beekeeper and said that honey and cinnamon has some wonderful health benefits.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

We used to have cinnamon and sugar on toast when we were kids a bit like cinnamon donuts tastes great.Also my brother is a beekeeper and said that honey and cinnamon has some wonderful health benefits.

Last time in England I stayed with my ex's (sadly deceased) mother (my ex M in L). Virtually every morning I had honey and cinnamon on fruit bread, with a big mug of tea.

The rest of the day I had to eat Jamaican food. Always lot of spinach and peas.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 11:43 AM, owl sees all said:

Bad news. My favoutite chair has let me down. Had it for a year or so. Gonna get out the duck tape. Perhaps drill a couple of holes and sew it. Can't afford a new one at the mo'.

1798105957_brokenchair.png.1751de06ea013d6a62712fef5e87e736.png

Dear Owl, please be very careful when sitting on a plastic chair ...

This one wasn't even cracked, but no less painful.

Man Gets Balls Stuck in Plastic Chair During Lockdown - Elite Readers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Dear Owl, please be very careful when sitting on a plastic chair ...

This one wasn't even cracked, but no less painful.

Man Gets Balls Stuck in Plastic Chair During Lockdown - Elite Readers

I find chairs are pretty safe if they are used for what they are intended. My bad experiences with chairs have usually occurred when I've been standing on them or been using them to lift up power lines. With Mrs Owl, the chairs are sometimes broken after they hit me on the back.

That pic' looks awful CL. What happened?

All the plastic chairs in our home have had their legs tied together (pics next Owl Log) and are safe.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2