Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

The D in L had problems with her car battery. Wouldn't start the car and wouldn't take a charge. I had a look.

2011810700_batterykaput02.png.1b5d975b6e8cd602d6f9eff9460b94db.png

Thought I'd check the cells. I couldn't suss out how to get the cover off.

2073611754_batterykaput03.png.5cbf2d94ef20ec771b546935f9966832.png

There must be a release thingy there somewhere.

78969310_batterykaput06.png.d8f0414c7d9545ea432ea1b368b6ee89.png

Anyway. Got the top off eventually and the water level - at least in the first chamber - seemed OK.

She said she is going to buy a new battery today.

I'm pretty sure that's a maintenance-free battery and is sealed.

Nice repair to the chair. A lot of people would have thrown it away.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Maybe some inner tube glued with contact cement over the repair will enhance the longevity of your nice repair work?

I've gave myself a metaphoric pat on the back for not using glue and duck tape. 

I'll keep an eye on the repair, and add some reinforcement if necessary. I think it broke in the first place because it wasn't seated on flat ground.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

That's a great pic. Almost an angry sky.

I think most of it is sliding by heading west the photo is looking south.We use to go with the Old lady (mother) to Salvos (Salvation Army) every Thursday morning before school to get the  good stuff before the competition who were the second hand shop people there's a lot of good quality stuff to be had like leather jackets,furniture it was like a weekly treasure hunt.I also like stuff with character and quality,I've tried teaching Mrs FFF about quality but she prefers new cheap plastic sh!t and like my mum can't bear to chuck anything away but unlike my mum Mrs FFF's stuff is now old broken cheap plastic stuff.Several of our plastic water bins and buckets have spits which I've repaired with....wait for it.....inner tube and contact cement.I love the string bracing idea for the chairs very clever.There must be a lot of ghosts around our village which need to be scare off with a whole day of setting off loud bungers (Fire crackers).

So are you going to try just a little bit of cinnamon next time or give it a miss? 

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So are you going to try just a little bit of cinnamon next time or give it a miss? 

When the brew is cooled and the reishi bottled, I scoop out the spent ingredients into a bowl and put them in the freezer. On this occasion I took out two of the four sticks of cinnamon. After three more brews, there is enough residue to make a smaller batch of about 5 litres; 8 litres normally.

For a few years I was adding ginseng, but I've run out. Might try the number four market on Sunday, outside Ban Dung for some ginseng roots. I also found some ginseng with a soda, straight from the fridge, and a squeeze of lime, a refreshing drink.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Mai Daeng the hardest wood I've come across in Thailand

DSC02074.thumb.JPG.1dd10897dd04e87934e7e485c3d9beb7.JPG

That is a beautiful piece of timber and perfectly shaped for a cutting board- nice work.

I used some mai daeng in a garden project a few years ago. It was so hard that I had to pre-drill holes before I could knock nails into it.

It was a pleasure using a smoothing plane on it - smelled like dark chocolate.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:03 AM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

My ex wife's buffalo had a problem with each of it's legs at one time or another. Cost a bit to fix. When there was the same problem a fifth time I got suspicious. 

Don't be so hard on her.

She was honest. He buffalo was an exception. Had 6 legs.

C48BD3BA-ED32-4F7B-885E-42AE426DE34E_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 9/30/2020 at 8:54 AM, owl sees all said:

All those machines need attention. Should get them for free to anyone who wants to get them up and running.

That chair is not what I'm after FFF. It was the machine behind.

I’m trying to work out (no pun intended) what that machine is for. Is it some kind of sit up machine?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Thanks CL.

You are right; thrown away and added to the world's plastic mountain. It will be throw out one day though. I'm not into broken stuff just for nostalgic reasons.

A bit like old clothes. A stitch here and a fold there, and they are ready for another ten years.

Don'tya just love old stuff that has been given a new lease of life? A chair, a cycle, a hat even.

I don't really like new things.

You’re strategy of wearing them inside out is obviously contributing to their longevity. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 6:55 AM, owl sees all said:

I find chairs are pretty safe if they are used for what they are intended. My bad experiences with chairs have usually occurred when I've been standing on them or been using them to lift up power lines. With Mrs Owl, the chairs are sometimes broken after they hit me on the back.

That pic' looks awful CL. What happened?

All the plastic chairs in our home have had their legs tied together (pics next Owl Log) and are safe.

'had their legs tied together'  Is that some sort of shackling arrangement to prevent them escaping?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 02-10-2020 - Friday morning

{snipped}

I noticed a few years back that those chairs with slim legs, slip on the tiles, and splay outwards. It happened to me in 2016, when Mrs Owl suddenly jumped on me; for no apparent reason. The legs went north, south, east and west. Chair kaput. Fortunately I wasn't hurt.

I can't but help myself asking: Mrs Owl jumping on you. Was it an amorous or aggressive jump?

Did it affect your ardour?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 02-10-2020 - Friday morning

{snipped}

The Leccy has stayed on since I whacked the input wire the other night. Fellow poster Bluesofa set me straight on what to do. I might call today. Get them round to fix the meter wires permanently. Or, should I wait for the next black-out? I will call today.

Did you get around to calling the PEA hotline - what happened? Spill the beans.

On 9/25/2020 at 1:29 PM, owl sees all said:

I miss some of the old posters. Rc2702, Marko KP, The Dark Lord and Scottiejohn spring to mind. I see Old Hippy is back.

deej ????.........just a hunch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

I'm sure you must have mentioned it before, but what do you find is the best bait for the Pla Nin? 

We use the commercial feed. Mildred usually makes it up. Gets about half-a-kilo in her little net, and soaks it for no more that 5 seconds. Ten minutes later it is ready. Can make a small ball and mould it onto the hook, or thread on the individual pellets. Usually get 5 pellets on the hook.

Tried all the other baits. Pellets seems to be the tops.

I'll do some pics next time we fish.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, champers said:

deej is the winner of last season's footy prediction competition. He has won it twice in 3 years - not bad for an Aussie.

I'm pretty sure that all the footy followers know who deej was/is. When he talks about Spurs I think; been down this White Hart Lane before.

Rc2702 started that fantastic thread 'The poison Brother-in-Law' that ran to over 80 pages. He was also an avid footy fan. Hope he is OK.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 7:37 AM, bluesofa said:

'had their legs tied together'  Is that some sort of shackling arrangement to prevent them escaping?

An attempt at humour there. Like it.

Those plastic legs do slip on the tiles and with my 90kg and Mrs Owl's 50kg, they do spread their legs.

Have other things to sit on too. Just fixed a stool. Used glue as well as cable ties. These particular cable ties are rubbish. On a good tie, the thumb-nail can be used to open them. These ones have no little bit of plastic sticking out to do that. Perhaps that's why they were so cheap; 20 baht for 100. People had complained, and Thai trading standards got involved. Ordered them destroyed. Found their way into the 20 baht shop.

174043694_stools03.png.95a035095319fe4130ac50d76177e664.png

318548088_stools02.png.6b6cfa62e5e0d631bda19c6fbd86bf6e.png

Can't be too careful in LOS.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Yes I would be Interested to see this bait too. I’ve heard you mention it before, but am having trouble visualising it tbh. 

How do you feel about looking after the 3 yr old? I guess the financial assistance seems to be a given. Is that for the flights etc. 

My partners brother and sister in law went to work in Korea about 2 yrs ago. They (Or the MIL) took out a loan to pay for their visa, flights etc. Gf said in region of 70,000 but no so sure. They left their 2 yr old girl and 10 yr old boy behind with the family. My gf spends a lot of time looking after them, running the back and fro to school etc and feeding them. Likewise when I’m there. 

They seem to be doing ok out there. Had a couple of close shaves and had to  leggit a couple of times as technically they shouldnt be working there. Sounds like they have also been ripped off with agents finding them work but you never really know the truth about what is going on. Their goal was to come back once they have enough to build a home but how long that is god knows. I often ask the gf but she says she has no idea. They Skype most days and look a lot fatter than when they left so whatever is happening they ain’t starving. 

The kids are amazingly resilient. At no time have they asked about when they are coming back and just get on with things, even the 2 yr old. It’s quite impressive really in any ways. 

No prob' for me with the little lad. Can teach him English. Get him off to a good start.

The D-in-L has done the Sth Korea trip too. Came back after six months with nothing to show for it.

When I travel through the village and see what 3/4 year olds (and older) are up to, it reminds me of life in Dagenham (England) back in the 1950s. We would be away from home for hours; only returning when the hunger pangs were too much to bear. Finding enjoyment in anything and everything. Adventures over Matchstick Island. Hunting for treasure in the Thames at low tide at Dagenham Dock. Putting pennies on the tracks in Ripple road for the train to turn them into deformed disks. Collecting toads from the banks of the Roding at Barking Creek.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I'm pretty sure that all the footy followers know who deej was/is. When he talks about Spurs I think; been down this White Hart Lane before.

Rc2702 started that fantastic thread 'The poison Brother-in-Law' that ran to over 80 pages. He was also an avid footy fan. Hope he is OK.

deej is a pensioner.????

Rc2702 was/is a Liverpool fan from Brum. If he is there now he may be seriously getting it in the neck. That BIL thread was a classic, as is this one.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

Owl Log - 08-10-2020 - Tuesday evening.

Big talk in the family is the Mrs' daughter and her husband wanting to work in Oz. I thought it was difficult, but if a Thai has 150k baht - and in the know - a work visa is forthcoming. And a job picking grapes or in a chocolate factory in Victoria ensues, earning a fortune of course. I've been asked to help financially. Also, to look after their three year old for two years.

Good luck for your family member. There's a big Cadbury's factory in Melbourne about 10 minutes from my work. 

They're crying out for fruit pickers at the moment. During covid they increased the dole significantly so it wasn't worth it for the unemployed as more work meant less dole. No backpackers either to pick fruit  because of covid. So the pay is really good if you can get here. From newspaper: 

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at-work/coronavirus-restrictions-leave-26000-fruit-picking-jobs-unfilled/news-story/a0449ac38a6a8769d782a4cbe97b18ba

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the only "sure" way of avoiding the con-men is to apply for work through the Ministry of Labour (I'm just basing this on reports from Thais I know who got blueberry picking jobs in Finland and did ok).

Of course, this being Thailand, even the "official channels" sometimes require a brown envelope.

There are many stories of Thais being ripped off in their search for "streets paved with gold".

NB: There used to be a moderator on Thaivisa who was an Israeli woman, married to a Thai man, who had personal experience of employing Thais abroad. She had lots of good advice (can't remember her name).

I agree - they should be ready to get good answers on things like:

• can the fee be paid in installments as you earn;
  • contact details for Australian agent and preferably Australian farm; 
  • a plan that would likely require two weeks quarantine, and would not involve businesses in the Melbourne area, if any time soon; 
  • is it on the books which means tax but also means likely decent award wages and other protections on conditions;
  • proof that they are getting a proper work visa and not just a tourist visa post covid and winging it;
  • cost of airfares, and proof before full payment, and cost and quality of accommodation. 

Pretty obvious some of it but better to be safe.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1