Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

On 10/11/2020 at 5:13 PM, owl sees all said:

If we get rain heavy enough to stop a game of cricket, any time from here on in, this year, I'll strip naked and run 'round the village, shouting 'we have rain'.

Upon hearing your need for rain I've asked Huey to send a special package and I've considered notifying your village to organise a cheer squad around your village for your victory lap.

2020-10-13_TopChart_01.thumb.jpg.4464eae2ab438b2298431138ab165d7d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A busy log Mr Owl glad you got some rain,I noticed that Tropical Storm seemed to disappear when it got into your territory.Whenever I cut cut the grass on the farm I'm forever cutting the tree saplings and any thing else that gets in the way,I'm still trying to learn the difference between tree and weed.We've had a cat return after about a 9 month absence which reminds me of a song the Old man used to sing called "The Old Cat came back" which had the following verse

Well they thought up a way for the cat to really fix

They put him in an orange crate on highway sixty six

Came a twenty ton truck with a forty ton load

Scattered pieces of the orange crate a mile down the road

But the cat came back

The very next day the old cat came back  

The cat came back because it wouldn't stay away. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

A busy log Mr Owl glad you got some rain,I noticed that Tropical Storm seemed to disappear when it got into your territory.Whenever I cut cut the grass on the farm I'm forever cutting the tree saplings and any thing else that gets in the way,I'm still trying to learn the difference between tree and weed.We've had a cat return after about a 9 month absence which reminds me of a song the Old man used to sing called "The Old Cat came back" which had the following verse

Well they thought up a way for the cat to really fix

They put him in an orange crate on highway sixty six

Came a twenty ton truck with a forty ton load

Scattered pieces of the orange crate a mile down the road

But the cat came back

The very next day the old cat came back  

The cat came back because it wouldn't stay away. 

There was a case in US where a couple took their lovely cat on holiday in a cage. The holiday destination was over 500 miles away. When the holiday was over kitty was no-where to be found. The couple got home, and thought little more about it, thinking the cat was sure to be OK.

Three months later there was a scratching at the front door (the cat-flap had been immobilised). The lady open the door to be greeted with their cat. 

I read it on an online magazine. Wonderful, lift-up heart story. I'll try to find it on the internet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

So to summarise, you have been running around with a headless chicken. 

Bang on the money.

What about the grass carp? Ever caught one Kadilo? Lettuce is a good bait; not a whole one of course. Dice it up into little half inch squares. Get a dozen, or so, and put the hook straight through the lot.

Please report on catches. 

My biggest ever carp; 20 3/4lbs. At Hainault in 1979.

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money.

What about the grass carp? Ever caught one Kadilo? Lettuce is a good bait; not a whole one of course. Dice it up into little half inch squares. Get a dozen, or so, and put the hook straight through the lot.

Please report on catches. 

My biggest ever carp; 20 3/4lbs. At Hainault in 1979.

That chickens face looked like it saw the missus approaching with the knife!

I will be honest, I’ve never even heard of a grass carp before let alone catch one. Obviously they must be the latest breed of Carp what with them being vegan ???? Lettuce!! 

I was never a big Carp fishermen. For whatever reason I was obsessed with Tench. My biggest carp was last summer but only around 11lb. This was at the lake near my parents which is well stocked with them so I went out and bought some boilies. Whole new learning experience for me and did some reading up on carp rigs etc. My first visit to the tackle shop for about 20 years was quite a shock. I never even knew they didnt sell lead shot any more!

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

There was a case in US where a couple took their lovely cat on holiday in a cage. The holiday destination was over 500 miles away. When the holiday was over kitty was no-where to be found. The couple got home, and thought little more about it, thinking the cat was sure to be OK.

Three months later there was a scratching at the front door (the cat-flap had been immobilised). The lady open the door to be greeted with their cat. 

I read it on an online magazine. Wonderful, lift-up heart story. I'll try to find it on the internet.

There's also "the Incredible Journey" the true story of a cat and 2 dogs doing something similar.

Edit I've just checked and apparently it's not a true story. 

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

There's also "the Incredible Journey" the true story of a cat and 2 dogs doing something similar.

Edit I've just checked and apparently it's not a true story. 

I've just had search and there is a cat called Polly who traveled, not 500 miles as I said, but just 190 miles. I'm sure it's the cat I'm thinking of. Lovely face.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Eh,Owl?

You have given me a "positive" for posting on the wrong thread-and admitting it?

Damme..I must do that more often..????

Well Ody, it's good to know you are still posting on this humble thread.

Out of the last 20 topics; nine have been about C-19. Four about Trump and the others various topics. However in saying that, I'm a regular on the C-19 threads. Too regular I think. Already been on holiday for a misdemeanor. For which I was guilty.

Just a shame that the other thread 'Beautiful Thailand' seems to have run its course.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2020 at 11:19 PM, chickenslegs said:

I can remember when British golf balls were smaller than the USA ones. But the holes were the same size (4.25 inches diameter) - I can never work out whether that was an advantage or not.

The smaller ball went further, and was definitely more controllable in any kind of wind. I'm old enough to have played both.

Against that, the larger US ball made chipping and putting easier.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 11:36 AM, owl sees all said:

Grass carp were introduced into England about 50 years ago. Farmers were buying them to control weed in their irrigation ressies. But they had been in Europe for yonks. Probably originated in Asia.

TBH Kadilo; I've never used a boilie. I was also very fond of tench like yourself

I'd only caught a couple of small grass carp in England, but got one of 17.5 kg (38 lbs) in Spain a few years back. Also a still water barbel from the same res', about 12 lbs.

Me 15 years ago. Soaking up the sun in Spain.

211267661_Spainfiahing01.png.d60358613c8625bd4d9aeb87dedb3142.png

399718235_Spainfiahing02.png.7885a39934e270b2538d7ee2f4a7dbc1.png

Absolutely lovely.

473511599_Spainfiahing03.png.e26c37706d975f346ce6a139e8e01bd2.png

That looks idyllic. 

Nice nappy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

That looks idyllic. 

Nice nappy. 

Some of these Spanish ressies are huge. This particular one being 12 square Kms.

I've no idea why I rolled up the shorts. Probably to catch even more sun, or to titillate the Mrs (taking pics). 

Many carp; both common and grass. Also huge shoals of barbel, some of which were as big as a footy pitch. Finding them was not so easy. Usually fished into the wind.

No pics unfortunately.

26 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Some of these Spanish ressies are huge. This particular one being 12 square Kms.

I've no idea why I rolled up the shorts. Probably to catch even more sun, or to titillate the Mrs (taking pics). 

Many carp; both common and grass. Also huge shoals of barbel, some of which were as big as a footy pitch. Finding them was not so easy. Usually fished into the wind.

No pics unfortunately.

Ive never fished a place as lovely and open as that. Just the usual weedy, reedy, secluded lakes. 

Loving the rod rests. The missus enjoy a spot of fishing?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Ive never fished a place as lovely and open as that. Just the usual weedy, reedy, secluded lakes. 

Loving the rod rests. The missus enjoy a spot of fishing?

The Mrs would go with me. She never fished, but enjoyed the peace and quiet in the countryside. We lived in Spain for a year or so. I was lucky that I sold our apartment a week before the 2008 crash; very fortunate there.

This particular ressie was my favourite haunt while in Spain. I also fished a big ressie in Nigeria. Full of all sorts of catfish, and strange looking beasts. Didn't enjoy it one bit. Had to leave our guarded compound to do any fishing. Just too dangerous. Caught talapia {pla nin}, catfish and small carp at Flatbridge in Jamaica when I was there. Also fished a lot in Cuba for carp.

In Essex; my fav's were Hainault, The Dagenham Chase and Berwick pond. I also belonged to Barking AC, who had a water near Witham (where I got my rod pulled in) and that was exciting fishing. My best from there was 16 lbs. Oh yes! Lady's lake near the River Roding. Spent a whole season there. Didn't catch anything of note; but there were monsters in there.

My best Tench was just under 9, which I caught at Egetts (or Eggets) lake at Hemingford Grey, Huntindonshire.

A bit sad today, 'cause the koi that I caught in the week died today. No idea why. Didn't even take it out of the net. Just took a pic and quickly released it back.

1197408720_koicarpcapture01.png.529ca630e19a7f44f8ccbb1662295590.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The Mrs would go with me. She never fished, but enjoyed the peace and quiet in the countryside. We lived in Spain for a year or so. I was lucky that I sold our apartment a week before the 2008 crash; very fortunate there.

This particular ressie was my favourite haunt while in Spain. I also fished a big ressie in Nigeria. Full of all sorts of catfish, and strange looking beasts. Didn't enjoy it one bit. Had to leave our guarded compound to do any fishing. Just too dangerous. Caught talapia {pla nin}, catfish and small carp at Flatbridge in Jamaica when I was there. Also fished a lot in Cuba for carp.

In Essex; my fav's were Hainault, The Dagenham Chase and Berwick pond. I also belonged to Barking AC, who had a water near Witham (where I got my rod pulled in) and that was exciting fishing. My best from there was 16 lbs. Oh yes! Lady's lake near the River Roding. Spent a whole season there. Didn't catch anything of note; but there were monsters in there.

My best Tench was just under 9, which I caught at Egetts (or Eggets) lake at Hemingford Grey, Huntindonshire.

A bit sad today, 'cause the koi that I caught in the week died today. No idea why. Didn't even take it out of the net. Just took a pic and quickly released it back.

1197408720_koicarpcapture01.png.529ca630e19a7f44f8ccbb1662295590.png

Sounds like you have travelled quite a bit. For work I assume?

I have friends who go over to a France for the big Carp and Catfish. Was often tempted but never made it. 

I used to love the tench fishing. Big cubes of luncheon mean floating by the reeds. Remember having some success at Grangewaters, South Ockendon with a home made bait full of cheese and marmite. They either loved it or hated it and this day they loved it ????

RIP the Koi. That’s really sad. I wonder what caused that. Shock? No obvious marks or anything? How long had it been in the lake?

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Sounds like you have travelled quite a bit. For work I assume?

I have friends who go over to a France for the big Carp and Catfish. Was often tempted but never made it. 

I used to love the tench fishing. Big cubes of luncheon mean floating by the reeds. Remember having some success at Grangewaters, South Ockendon with a home made bait full of cheese and marmite. They either loved it or hated it and this day they loved it ????

RIP the Koi. That’s really sad. I wonder what caused that. Shock? No obvious marks or anything? How long had it been in the lake?

Nigeria was for work. Absolutely hated it. Good money though. Didn't have to really do anything ,as I was there in a consultancy role. Lived in Spain for a while.

My wife, at that time was Jamaican. Went there a lot. Cuba too. Travel was so cheap then.

I hooked into a monster in The Gambia once. Had it on for over an hour in the sea. The locals were saying it was a big sting-ray. Got it in close and one of the locals went in to spear it, but just at that point the line parted. That was that.

We fished at a place that I know as 'Mollands' in Sth Ockendon. I also liked to fish at 'Tunnel Cement' in Aveley.

That carp that died was 2/3 years old, about 3/4 lbs. Was put in the pond as a 3 incher.

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Nigeria was for work. Absolutely hated it. Good money though. Didn't have to really do anything ,as I was there in a consultancy role. Lived in Spain for a while.

My wife, at that time was Jamaican. Went there a lot. Cuba too. Travel was so cheap then.

I hooked into a monster in The Gambia once. Had it on for over an hour in the sea. The locals were saying it was a big sting-ray. Got it in close and one of the locals went in to spear it, but just at that point the line parted. That was that.

We fished at a place that I know as 'Mollands' in Sth Ockendon. I also liked to fish at 'Tunnel Cement' in Aveley.

That carp that died was 2/3 years old, about 3/4 lbs. Was put in the pond as a 3 incher.

Mollands Lane. Next road to where Grangewaters is. I believe there is still a lake there. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 2:01 PM, owl sees all said:

Can be; if you let these little things get to you. 

Have to rise above the nonsense and be brave. I love my daughter, my wife*, my farms and my life. Just wish Leyton Orient could get back to the top flight.

* Also Charkie and the other pets.

May I ask you if the Lhao Kao Brigade is still alive in your village?

We were sad guests who had to watch the cremations of a lot of friends and relatives. 

2 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

May I ask you if the Lhao Kao Brigade is still alive in your village?

We were sad guests who had to watch the cremations of a lot of friends and relatives. 

Yes! But not nearly as much as a few years ago. But in saying that, Nang, village shop does a good trade on selling swigs of Lao Khao (not sure; spelling) for 10 baht.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1