Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

On 11/19/2019 at 4:34 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

'cause more girls from Issan are hooking in Pattaya than any other province?

agree, and phuket and bangkok, its rare ..... on occasion that one meets a northern or southern lady

On 11/19/2019 at 7:43 AM, geronimo said:

Great to hear of other expat's lives, especially in Isaan, where I'll be retiring in a few years.

Me too. Unless they ask me to stay on, I will be retiring in three years and heading up to Kalasin.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 7:17 PM, Destiny1990 said:

With dog killing neighbors like yours there’s no need for enemies!

The problem is that once a dog has done this, it is very difficult to get them to stop without chaining them up all the time. Hence, the action taken. 

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Some pic's I took a few years back. I was going to enter this one into this year's pic' comp', but it's too old now.

937484890_boatonriver.thumb.JPG.c654a6bdd60088f7ccfeb36593452f9d.JPG

And a different view of a bridge that many will know only too well. Thailand near; Laos far.

998539741_friendshibridge.thumb.JPG.1aa9183f459e9b2518f98551a7486351.JPG

I think it was about where I was snapping, that Jeremy Wade got arrested by the Thai border police.

Thoroughly enjoying your diary!! Although not the rural type myself, it's clear you are enjoying your life with your wonderful family. Keep posting!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

The problem is that once a dog has done this, it is very difficult to get them to stop without chaining them up all the time. Hence, the action taken. 

What would happen if the farang shoots the dog of his neighbor?

Anyway enjoy your selves there I won’t be visiting that village not even for 30 minutes!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bermondburi said:

You don't drink that schite do you? 

Biggest problem in Isaan. 

A few times, the above batch is mixed with special leaves with medicinal secrets. I drank with my lady's step dad once for my first time. Man, it doesn't take much to make me hit the bed.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 1:19 PM, zyphodb said:

Have you not heard of ebook readers? I've been reading my kindle everywhere for the last nine years with no problems, it's about the size of a thin paperback, the screen looks the same as print on paper only you can light it in low light situations and you only need an internet connection when you load books on it which I did 3000 at a time...

I'm trying to reduce my electronic media not increase it. Call me old fashioned but I like reading books. 

I wish I had the will power to get rid of every digital thing I own, but the thing I learned very long ago is that they are addictive. They certainly don't make us happier.

BTW, how can you possibly read 3,000 books?

Can you get Danny and the Rattlesnakes on your machine? I've been trying to find that book for years with no luck. The internet is no help on it either.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bannork said:

Can fit into the back of a pick-up too to take home and dry.

As you say Halfaboy, all that time and money saved. If it was cut by hired hands you'd have to pay a minimum of 300 baht a head a day, probably 400, plus lao khao and lunch. If the rice had been flattened by the wind it would take folks longer to cut it, increasing expenses further.

Along comes the machine, the rice harvester, 10 rai done in 2 hours and no need to thresh the rice too, rice and hay already separated.

So, what happens to the displaced workers? When everything is done by a machine will human race survive?