Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

On 11/19/2019 at 7:21 PM, finnishmen said:

isaan have at foreign, <deleted> place live. i has living 4 year now and newer before no has eat thats same bad, all food have tottally big <deleted>, isan food not have thai food and normal. all have big <deleted> and human no can eat, only thai monkeys idiot eat eweryday <deleted> grass,<deleted> wery bad fish,all food could or raw,or half-raw, all food wery bad taste. normal thai food have 500 x better south than isan food have ewer. all peoples have idiots or little stupid, and IF borrow somethink newer not go back or go back broken. has destroy my hammer drill 2 pcs, now, hammer drill not have cheap 8000 B pcs and has borrow and destroy 2 pcs, and no tell me has broken, same many toold,ladders no newer go back to home if someone has borrow, expensives good guality ladders cost 5000 B but i no can use because have somewere at village. same many many tools and others parts, monkeys idiots no newer pay back or give me back my tools. i no borrow anythink now to monkeys idiots. womans not care husband, o matter what husband say wifes no hear husband newer, if need help somethink newer not help .

Well put! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bannork said:

It's a wind-up surely. No one could be that miserable and still stay, unless he was a complete idiot.

No, I don't believe it. It's a troll, someone who's very bored.

It sounds to my like someone wrote this in another language and then  used Google translate .

21 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

This region is really laid back and I hope to explore more.

Which region are you talking about?
Around Buriram or all Issan which is vast; 1/3 of the area of Thailand! About 170,000 km2.
In mine, that of Sakon Nakhon, I discover new roads of red ground or cement almost at each exit.
And of course new tiny villages that do not exist on any road map.
They are villages like mine; they carry a number ( my ban is moo 5  depending of ban Nong Luang in the district of ( amphoe ) Sawang Daen Din ;

Laid back is the good word .:jap:

18 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Which region are you talking about?
Around Buriram or all Issan which is vast; 1/3 of the area of Thailand! About 170,000 km2.
In mine, that of Sakon Nakhon, I discover new roads of red ground or cement almost at each exit.
And of course new tiny villages that do not exist on any road map.
They are villages like mine; they carry a number ( my ban is moo 5  depending of ban Nong Luang in the district of ( amphoe ) Sawang Daen Din ;

Laid back is the good word .:jap:

The region of Isaan rather than just a single province. Would like to motorcycle up along the Mekong and maybe cross into Laos at a couple of points. I know it's a big area. 

11 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log 30-11-2019 (Saturday morning)

Off to Udon today to collect my visa. We will make a day of it and visit a couple of our favourite places. Probably have 4 children with us, so it's definately a visit to Prajek park. A nice walk around, and smashing playground for the children.

410000651_Prajekpark01.thumb.JPG.88610cbbb5a96bda2cac83609fdab505.JPG

Prajek park. 

SN850616.thumb.JPG.5ace7f817b52cdaaccec8cec6a9b17a7.JPG

1803541513_Prajekpark02.thumb.JPG.873b68b315c53a07f484e59585c0d16e.JPG

The Chinese quarter is a must for anyone visiting the city, especially if they like koi carp; just great.

1685268614_KoisinUdon.thumb.jpg.60ab1ad0dbff506940654522df41df3c.jpg

++++++++

Might call into DoHome for a bite to eat. It is massive; about 6 football pitches in size. They should think about offering trikes with a decent size carrier at the back. Just too much walking! Cheap grub though.

+++++++

Tried all three pumps at the farm yesterday. Only the big one (2.5 inch) would lift the water from the deep well; and then the pull rope snapped. I'll drop off it off at 'Cola Fix', on the way to Udon; the second pump this week! Pick it up on the way home.

This machine fix shop also has a palm plantation like us, and they are having just as tough time. So little rain in the last 2 years, and the price at rock bottom (2-40 baht a kilo). They are seriously thinking of digging up the lot. Absolutely demoralizing.

A few years ago I concreted the kitchen area at the farm. Unfortunately (my own stupid fault) the concrete raised the floor just enough for me to hit my head on the main wooden beam. Well, it was just getting dark, and I was putting away a pump last evening, and guess what? That's what happens in Thailand when you are 1-90m something tall, and drop your guard. Thailand is not built for tall people; that's for sure.

++++++++

Knocked up another batch of reishi drink testerday. That's the last of the dried mushroom. There is a vegetable market just along from Makro in Udon. If I have time I'll get a kilo or two. If not, then it's wait for the market next Tuesday in Penn (near Nong Khai).

Wife has just got up; time for a cuppa and currant bun.

Love the park. Will be staying Prajakra hotel which overlooks the Park over Xmas. 

Lots of nice restaurants nearby and great market at weekend. 

Keep up the good work. 

Pleasure to read. 

Up the  Hammers !

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Not that long ago LOL

Image result for issan floods

That's a gret pic'. Only once in over 10 years have I seen anything remotely like that here. I guess our area is just that bit higher.

I reckon that was during that monoon that came along a couple of months ago. We did get some rain, but not so much.

Edited by owl sees all

On 11/20/2019 at 7:58 AM, Sandy Freckle said:

Can someone please translate ?

If you can't understand what he is getting at then you have not experienced the Issan culture.  I live in far northern Thai and the village is of Issan extraction/culture and what he says about the tools I and all my friends, even one of Chinese heritage, have told me the same experience.   Now the food thing might be a tad overstated, but not by much....

• Like 2

On 11/18/2019 at 10:34 AM, owl sees all said:

The wife was on the loo and couldn't give rice to the monk the other day. She asked me to give it. No problem! But I didn't get on my knees; just called him over and tipped it into his pot. I got the 'thank you' verse all the same. Later, when the wife found out that I'd not even bowed my head she was not best amused. "You must not be higher than monk," said she.

Amazing how Thais view everything through the lens of social hierarchy and caste - even a religion in whose highest precepts no such distinctions exist.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Amazing how Thais view everything through the lens of social hierarchy and caste - even a religion in whose highest precepts no such distinctions exist.

This is not just buddhism, it's Thai buddhism - not a lot to do with religion.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Good point.

I don't mind giving a bit of grub to the monks. But I don't want, or need the religious overtones, blessing, or lucky numbers that is often attached.

As my mate says; "the only time I'll be on my knees is when a rifle butt is pressing against my neck." Or to woo a good looking woman of course!

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I just visited a local Wat here in Ayutthaya with the gf.

They were smelting a new Buddha statue and the faithful were throwing in some gifts to ensure their continued health, wealth and happiness , my gf chucked in a silver bracelet.

All in all it was a good event ( not too long and chairs were available ???? ).

What was slightly unnerving was the reverence in which the faithful give to the monks as they passed, some wai-ed and got on their knees but I saw a couple of elderly old ladies literally throwing themselves to the ground !

I looked around as I thought <snip> had entered !!

It's an easy mistake to make - they obviously mistook you for<snip>

10 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I just visited a local Wat here in Ayutthaya with the gf.

They were smelting a new Buddha statue and the faithful were throwing in some gifts to ensure their continued health, wealth and happiness , my gf chucked in a silver bracelet.

All in all it was a good event ( not too long and chairs were available ???? ).

What was slightly unnerving was the reverence in which the faithful give to the monks as they passed, some wai-ed and got on their knees but I saw a couple of elderly old ladies literally throwing themselves to the ground !

I looked around as I thought <snip> had entered !!

It's not the monks they were respecting but what they represent. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 10:08 AM, sirineou said:

Thank you for taking the time to post, I am enjoying it very much.

Someone posted "I only wish I dont end up like the OP" many of as wish we could.

Back in Florida with the wife now, will be here until spring, 

Raising  my winter crop in my backyard garden, Tomatoes were great reaching their end now as days are getting shorter,but still have some. string beans, celery, cabbage, brussel sprouts, kale, ets are doing great.

Nothing better than the pride of growing your own.

Can't wait to come back to Khon Kaen  miss it very much. Though the wife seems to enjoy Florida more. I told her that if she does not come with me by april, I am going without her.  

Love your thread.

We have 40 fruit trees at our house in Florida. My wife has found just about every fruit tree from Thailand she could. Papaya, Nom Doc Mai Mangoes and a few others, Rose Apple, Litches, Longan, Star Fruit, Jackfruit and all kinds of other fruits. These trees grow very well in Florida. 

• Like 1