Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

On 1/17/2021 at 8:05 PM, HighPriority said:

I’m the eldest of a second brood, I guess that makes me a middle child, and us soulmates... ????

I thought of saying we belong to the middle child brotherhood but that might be considered sexist by my 2 sisters so I'll coin a phrase and say we belong to middle "siblinghood"!

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Ah, "Dit non plus."

I think that should be 'Ne dis pas plus'.

Not to worry as I've just buzzed Antwonette and she has Justine (a girlfriend) staying tonight, and asks if that's not too much for me.

Un homme qui ne peut plaire à une femme toute la nuit ne peut pas être français.

Je n'ai plus rien dit.

Just now, HighPriority said:

So, is anyone aware of just where Mr Owl was when he became evidently disagreeable ?

He obviously wasn't sheltering in this safe haven!He must have been eminently disagreeable where ever he was sailing,must have been in uncharted waters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, voulez vous said:

I think that should be 'Ne dis pas plus'.

Not to worry as I've just buzzed Antwonette and she has Justine (a girlfriend) staying tonight, and asks if that's not too much for me.

Un homme qui ne peut plaire à une femme toute la nuit ne peut pas être français.

Je n'ai plus rien dit.

I can only think of La plume de ma tante.

13 hours ago, faraday said:

Only saw a few from season one as I arrived in Thailand before season 2. I must get round to watching them all because the clips I have seen are absolutely hilarious. Haven't come across much "modern" comedy that actually gets me laughing out loud like the 70's and 80's stuff, back when "political correctness" had yet to rear its head and was more likely to be a punchline on "Yes Minister".      

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Mon Dieu!He's back on Field Punishment No 1, yet again?

I had to look that 'one' up.  I thought initially it was urinating in the open.

Apparently not:

"consisted of the convicted man being placed in fetters and handcuffs or similar restraints and attached to a fixed object, such as a gun wheel or a fence post, for up to two hours per day."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_punishment#British_Army 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 10:34 AM, owl sees all said:

I've been in Isaan for 12 years and I find it fascinating. Virtually every week there is something that I find of interest or something that surprises me, dismays me and sometimes shocks me.

My wife runs four biggish farms and they too have had their ups and downs recently. This year there has been very little rain and the rice harvest was abysmal. Also, I couldn't fill the ponds up enough to risk putting in fish. I have still got 80% water in two ponds, but I've sacrificed three others to get this.

A neighbor recently killed our farm dog (because it killed one of his chickens) and someone borrowed 10 litres of diesel from the farm house store without telling us. We found out who it was. Of course, he just forgot to tell us; but he would have eventually!

The wife was on the loo and couldn't give rice to the monk the other day. She asked me to give it. No problem! But I didn't get on my knees; just called him over and tipped it into his pot. I got the 'thank you' verse all the same. Later, when the wife found out that I'd not even bowed my head she was not best amused. "You must not be higher than monk," said she.

But, there are lovely things aplenty in the village. Dancing and laughter and Lao Khao drinking. Somone had had a bit of good fortune on the lottery.

I'll try to update the thread a couple of times a week. Shortly I'm off to Nong Khai to get some grow bags for my avocado trees that I've grown from seed and will soon need potting. I'll put in some pics as I go.

Wonderful! Not much has changed up here. 

On 1/19/2021 at 4:11 PM, bluesofa said:

Apparently not:

"consisted of the convicted man being placed in fetters and handcuffs or similar restraints and attached to a fixed object, such as a gun wheel or a fence post, for up to two hours per day."

Well,it looks  like they have all been put in "jankers"...

Struggling on for a Good Conduct badge-Loy Krathong in Isaan..

DSCN4139.JPG

DSCN4161.JPG

DSCN4168.JPG

• Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 4:11 PM, bluesofa said:

Apparently not:

Double post.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Geez....well done!

..and good to see the little fella too.

PS.Thank God you posted-I was beginning to think that I was suffering from echolalia.

Thanks for introducing me to a new word which I had to look up before posting a laughing emoji.It has a nice ring to it and I suspect I might be using it in future even if I will be at risk of joining Mr Owl at his holiday resort.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Thanks for introducing me to a new word which I had to look up before posting a laughing emoji.It has a nice ring to it and I suspect I might be using it in future even if I will be at risk of joining Mr Owl at his holiday resort.

I see  "Echolalia is different from Tourette syndrome"    Who the flock are kidding sh!t winker cant.

source: https://www.healthline.com/health/echolalia 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I see  "Echolalia is different from Tourette syndrome"    Who the flock are kidding sh!t winker cant.

source: https://www.healthline.com/health/echolalia 

Actually it is different-I have a friend who suffers from Tourette's...

However i was alluding to my repetitive posting of photos into the void-and doing a bit of Knight's Move thinking at the same time.

One should never do that..????

Anyways..the cabinet work is truly impressive.

• Like 1

Where are the pictures? I cannot see them. Can anyone?

Yes! There they are. Internet so slow here.

I've got to get an early start. Just gonna give Antonette a peck on the cheek and I'll get off. Hope she doesn't mind me using her computer.

Edited by voulez vous

8 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Anyone got Friday on their mind?

To achieve herd immunity one needs a herd so here is our latest contribution to the herd which arrived during last night.DSC02120.thumb.JPG.9f100ab41338344b85e2233f0cdb41b4.JPG

For fellow tree huggers the Mai Deang in our backyard.

DSC02124.thumb.JPG.90e9db057d0559c9cfa135e5ec964f91.JPG

My first attempt at using dovetails in a project.

DSC02125.thumb.JPG.d217189a8a155596090d39b13013f055.JPGDSC02126.thumb.JPG.a76c49c808ef954033b54014bdda30df.JPG

Also my first attempt at french polishing after finally finding some shellac in Thailand.

DSC02127.thumb.JPG.8702bddf6d1c6ba207c84d14f869e6f3.JPG 

And another bed slowly taking shape which will also get a shellac coating which is much better than the toxic stuff I've been using.

DSC02121.thumb.JPG.eeeab6e23c2734e7f0e2ad8638bc973e.JPG

Nice workbench ????????

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:17 AM, Odysseus123 said:

That's a beauty!

Ficus or triffid,who can tell?

After the bushfires...the rain forest starts to grow back..

DSCN2375.JPG

DSCN2377.JPG

LOL, that bottom one looks like a syrup.

(To the uninitiated- syrup of figs = wigs in coconut rhyming slang.)

• Haha 1

Mr Owl will be back tomorrow (22nd), and not today as planned. Evidently he delayed accepting his punishment. What a billy idiot; blöder dummkopf even.

He asked me to post a picture of Curly Wurly. The one who has been terrorising the rubbish bins during the night.

227168657_curlywurly.png.2e3559dc2427c64efc242da80e5ccc69.png

Edited by voulez vous
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, voulez vous said:

Mr Owl will be back tomorrow (22nd), and not today as planned. Evidently he delayed accepting his punishment. What a Billy Idiot; blöder dummkopf even.

He asked me to post a picture of Curly Wurly. The one who has been terrorising the rubbish bins during the night.

227168657_curlywurly.png.2e3559dc2427c64efc242da80e5ccc69.png

I would put Mr Owl's delay down to being blown off course by the storm of insanity I mentioned earlier. I've tied bailing twine around our bins to prevent the village canines toppling them,it's worked so far.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1